Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-27-09, 10:17 PM   #25
pkirby11

Send a message via AIM to pkirby11
Default Re: Windows 7 will contain Windows XP (virtualized)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
lmao. you do know it's already out, right?
Torrents aren't official. I won't touch torrents of pirated or leaked software. Again read what I posted, MS has stated that they are officialy releasing it to MSDN\Technet subscribers on the 30th of April and the public May 5th. If your happy with the torrent great but my dates were information for those not fond of torrents.

PSN: pkirby11
pkirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-09, 10:29 PM   #26
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkirby11 View Post
Torrents aren't official. I won't touch torrents of pirated or leaked software. Again read what I posted, MS has stated that they are officialy releasing it to MSDN\Technet subscribers on the 30th of April and the public May 5th. If your happy with the torrent great but my dates were information for those not fond of torrents.
Exactly.

MSDN still has releases from Jan and Feb on there.

I'm going to grab the one at the end of this week and use that.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-09, 11:13 PM   #27
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkirby11 View Post
Yea, the PR strongarm. MS has already confirmed the leaks are the same ones they are releasing but whatever if you want to wait to run the same exact software I'm already running, its cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-09, 11:39 PM   #28
JasonPC

It would be nice if they updated all versions of Virtual PC to have that integration feature, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Another reason to get Windows 7. Having Vista 64-bit you are kind of at a double disadvantage with compatibility with older programs. First off it's Vista and secondly you have no 16-bit program support. So I've had to use Virtual PC to run my older programs (really virtual machines are a life saver here). It would be so nice to have the integration support so I can copy/paste and not have to fool with the virtualized OS as a separate entity.
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-09, 12:08 PM   #29
pkirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
Yea, the PR strongarm. MS has already confirmed the leaks are the same ones they are releasing but whatever if you want to wait to run the same exact software I'm already running, its cool.
Again sir first show me were MS confirmed any where a leaked copy is the same as what will be posted? Paul Thurott didn't even know and still doesn't that his torrent copy is the same. However again read my post, did I say it was different? Nope. Just a personal believe of mine, I don't like torrents or the programs that download them. Plain and simple, I'm happy waiting a couple more days for the official release and I was just trying to share those dates with people like Sazar who seemed please with the information.

Old 04-29-09, 09:35 AM   #30
pkirby11

For those of you interested in this feature, looks like Microsoft is releasing the beta along with the release of Windows 7 RC. The beta should be available on April 30th, no word as to whether it's an MSDN/Technet only release yet but tomorrow is looking like a fun day for me.

Old 04-29-09, 02:37 PM   #31
wolfgar

Please keep in mind..

this visualized XP, will only really be available to business systems. It will not be available for Home Basic or Home Premium. (and requires the 'right' hardware)

Its only available for Professional / Business / Ultimate SKU's anyway.

so, 99.9% of home users will not have access to it. Its really just to make Win7 more palatable to business users.

To us in this forum, its really a non issue.

The ONLY item in professional I may miss is the remote desktop functionality (I don't want to encrypt my drives, as its too problematic WHEN upgrading, plus the performance hit). Even then its not really a problem, I use ultraVNC anyway.

Its generating a lot of press, but its really just going to be a support nightmare for corporate IT shops. Best to ignore it.

What the Heck, I use VMWare anyway.

I have always strenuously supported the right of every man to his own opinion, however different that opinion might be to mine. He who denies another this right makes a slave of himself to his present opinion, because he precludes himself the right of changing it. Thomas Paine (1737-1809), The Age of Reason, 1783
wolfgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-09, 03:32 PM   #32
JasonPC

A lot of people on this forum do have the Ultimate version of Vista. I'm sure many of us will also get the Ultimate version of Win 7.

Old 04-29-09, 05:27 PM   #33
pkirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgar View Post
Its generating a lot of press, but its really just going to be a support nightmare for corporate IT shops. Best to ignore it.

Are you serious? I guess you've ruled this out instantly since you use VMWare. First corporate IT shouldn't be using this, its designed for small business. If you want to use desktop virtualization in a corporate environment then use Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualization (MED-V).

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/bus...s-xp-mode.aspx

Old 04-29-09, 07:31 PM   #34
JasonPC

It seems like a decent move to me. Even if you don't use Virtual PC and use VMWare instead, you still get an XP License, which would be an extra cost if the company doesn't already have one for the machine. (Edit: since I'm not exactly sure how this will work I'm thinking you might only be able to use the license for Virtual PC on Windows 7) And if they didn't have VMWare they would also be saving on the cost to buy the licensing for that program. I don't think it's meant to be a permanent solution but more of a light push to businesses that can't decide whether to upgrade yet.
Old 04-29-09, 09:29 PM   #35
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgar View Post
Please keep in mind..

this visualized XP, will only really be available to business systems. It will not be available for Home Basic or Home Premium. (and requires the 'right' hardware)

Its only available for Professional / Business / Ultimate SKU's anyway.

so, 99.9% of home users will not have access to it. Its really just to make Win7 more palatable to business users.

To us in this forum, its really a non issue.

The ONLY item in professional I may miss is the remote desktop functionality (I don't want to encrypt my drives, as its too problematic WHEN upgrading, plus the performance hit). Even then its not really a problem, I use ultraVNC anyway.

You under estimate the power of pirates/hackers. I can about guarantee you they will have a workaround. I remember how they made Windows XP Home into Pro.

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-09, 05:29 PM   #36
wolfgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
You under estimate the power of pirates/hackers. I can about guarantee you they will have a workaround. I remember how they made Windows XP Home into Pro.
True.

Its just that I just don't see the value to us: the early adopters and power users. How many of us really use software that won't run on Win7. And if you do, wouldn't you just abandon it and find a replacement?

Businesses have many $$ millions invested in obsolete software (mine included). Its really just a advanced PR campaign to eliminate that accountant who says that they can't afford to replace the old software yet. (they never can afford it).

In regards to the Home Premium vs Ultimate SKU comments. I think a lost of us got badly burned with the vista ultimate add-on lies. We'll be much more careful this time.

For me: There is not one single feature difference in the Professional->Ultimate SKU feature lists that is a 'must have'. 1 or 2 would be nice (remote backup?), but easily skipped or alternates available. Most are: Don't want anyway, or can't use. MS did a much better job this time separating business features from home features.

In 2 more weeks, we can have another round after we get a chance to play with the RC.

I have always strenuously supported the right of every man to his own opinion, however different that opinion might be to mine. He who denies another this right makes a slave of himself to his present opinion, because he precludes himself the right of changing it. Thomas Paine (1737-1809), The Age of Reason, 1783
wolfgar is offline   Reply With Quote