Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-27-09, 02:22 PM   #1
rhasselbaum

Default Internal/external laptop switching with custom resolution

Hi,

I want to configure my laptop to use an external monitor if one is connected and the internal LCD panel otherwise. No TwinView. Sounds simple. And I got it working via "nvidia-settings" by enabling the external monitor only in "xorg.conf". Then, when the external monitor is disconnected, it automatically falls back to the LCD panel.

So far so good, except for one thing: the maximum resolution of the LCD panel is too high for my eyes. (I have low vision.) So when I use the external monitor, I want it running at it's highest resolution (1280x1024), but when it falls back to the internal LCD panel, I want it to use a custom resolution (1600x1024 even though the hardware can go higher). Is there a way to configure this without resorting to two "xorg.conf" files?

Thanks.
rhasselbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-09, 02:24 PM   #2
DrSuSE

Default Re: Internal/external laptop switching with custom resolution

I think (and someone will correct me if I am wrong), based on a response to another question I previously posted about, that this is not possible until the drivers fully support xrandr 1.2 or something (i.e. not yet).

If I am wrong, sorry! Don't kill me with sticks!
DrSuSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-09, 09:47 AM   #3
rhasselbaum

Default Re: Internal/external laptop switching with custom resolution

Does anyone have a solution? I tried enabling TwinView and setting up two metamodes thiat enable only one screen or the other, but it didn't work. I ended up with a "panning" display.
rhasselbaum is offline   Reply With Quote