Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-29-09, 06:08 PM   #1
NickSlade

Default New to Linux - nVidia problems

Hi just recently installed Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit Desktop, thought I would give it a try.

After installation Ubuntu booted up and I was greeted with the new desktop. After messing around a bit and trying to find my way around (I'm a Windows user) I realised I was unable to enable Extra appearance features due to the need to update my nVidia drivers.

My problem is that however I install nvidia graphics driver package, after rebooting it hangs at Checking battery state... [OK].

I've tried installing by downloading and running 180.51 and 170 and the package, using Terminal, using Envy and nothing works - I get the same problem each time. I've looked at many different posts/threads and searched Google and can't seem to find an answer.

I was at one point able to boot into Ubuntu after uninstalling my nvidia drivers through recovery mode and using "sudo envyng -t" and then following the instructions.

I need help as I am looking forward to using Ubuntu but will not until this problem is solved.

*Also my sound isn't working but I'll get that sorted after my graphics problem.

System Specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 @ 2.67GHz
nForce 680i SLI motherboard
4GB RAM
nVidia 8800GTX x 2 SLI
Seagate 250GB x 2
WD Velociraptor 150GB
Using built-in 7.1 sound card
NickSlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-09, 07:41 PM   #2
xianthax

Default Re: New to Linux - nVidia problems

by default ubuntu does not use closed source drivers and the open source drive they use by default don't support 3d, hence your initial problem...

you need to remove the ubuntu nvidia packages and envy

sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia* envy

will accomplish this, then install the drivers from nvidia, there are instructions already available in this forum, note that you can't use "Terminal" to do this, you must shut down the X server and will need some compilation tools installed, see the instructions.

my guess is that you've now tried 3 different versions of the drivers from 3 sources and there is a conflict going on.

-x
xianthax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-09, 01:22 AM   #3
NickSlade

Quote:
Originally Posted by xianthax View Post
by default ubuntu does not use closed source drivers and the open source drive they use by default don't support 3d, hence your initial problem...

you need to remove the ubuntu nvidia packages and envy

sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia* envy

will accomplish this, then install the drivers from nvidia, there are instructions already available in this forum, note that you can't use "Terminal" to do this, you must shut down the X server and will need some compilation tools installed, see the instructions.

my guess is that you've now tried 3 different versions of the drivers from 3 sources and there is a conflict going on.

-x

Hi, thanks for your reply.

i have tried different methods / versions and each time I have removed all the files before attempting another method. I've tried shutting down X server, I only tried Envy after 2 previous attempts.

I'm still stuck with this problem but will try removing envy. The nvidia packages have been removed using Quick Search (I left 2 packages installed that appeared but did not have "nvidia" in their name or description but removed x.org - I think it was called that)
Old 05-01-09, 07:07 AM   #4
NickSlade

Well after trying and trying and reinstalling Ubuntu 3 times I finallly decided to remove one of my 8800GTX's... I was able to install nVidia drivers no problem and can now enable extra appearance features etc.

So with that working I shut down, inserted my other 8800GTX which I had previously removed, and back to the same problem - computer hangs at 'Checking battery state... [OK]'

Anybody no how to go about being able to use my second card? I don't want to have to remove it every time I want to use Ubuntu. I'm sure there is a way but I need some guidance.
Old 05-01-09, 11:38 AM   #5
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

You need to generate and attach a bug report if you expect to get help. That said, my guess is that you're running into this bug in the X server.

At the "Checking battery state" screen, you might need to hit Alt-F1 to switch to a terminal where you can log in, or press enter to make it print another login prompt.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 03:17 AM   #6
NickSlade

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
You need to generate and attach a bug report if you expect to get help. That said, my guess is that you're running into this bug in the X server.

At the "Checking battery state" screen, you might need to hit Alt-F1 to switch to a terminal where you can log in, or press enter to make it print another login prompt.
I am very new to Ubuntu and am not sure how to go about generating a bug report, espeically when I'm not able to do anything as i cannot boot into Ubuntu. Would I be able to if i can get to a login prompt / terminal (Alt + F1)? How would I go about generating a bug report?
Old 05-04-09, 03:19 AM   #7
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Run nvidia-bug-report.sh.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 02:13 AM   #8
sampsonite

Was there any fix to this issue? I'm having the exact same problem.
sampsonite is offline   Reply With Quote