Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-23-09, 01:05 AM   #2521
Tym

Default Re: Flight Simulator X Feedback Thread

If anyone's interested in big birds, I've just received a newsletter from Captain Sim announcing their spring sale. Huge discounts, especially on the FSX C-130 pack.
i5-2500K with Thermalright SI-128, Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3, 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Palit GeForce GTX 460 Sonic Platinum, Samsung 275T Plus 27" + Samsung 943T 19", Auzentech X-Fi Prelude + Rotel RA-820AX + Kef Q1, Razer DeathAdder mouse, Antec P190 case, 60GB OCZ Vertex for OS/FSX + 2 x 640GB WD Black RAID1, Plextor PX-880SA DVD-RW; OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64; FSX gear: Saitek X52 Pro + Rudder Pedals + Yoke System
Tym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-09, 12:17 PM   #2522
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Wow nice compare shots slaWter these show how nicely the ENB tweak can tighten up the contrast of the default FSX rendering

Ive been mucking about with a few palette tweaks going for a more photographic tone to the rendering looks pretty good sofar but still more tweaking,once im done i might send a pack of them to borris as a thank you

Laters
steve
omzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-09, 03:00 PM   #2523
sillyeagle
sillyego

Wow guys that looks quite impressive. I saw shots elsewhere and didn't care for the look but that looks really good, both the first version and the new tweaks. I'll have to give it try.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 04-27-09, 08:42 PM   #2524
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
Originally Posted by omzig View Post
gonna grab that corsair this weekend i think just gotta see how much of my buget it left after getting the 260

laters
steve
I don't know if you bought that yet but I didn't really care for it too much. Knowing what it's like I would rather have not spent the money on it. It's like the Realflight Hellcat where they took a Milviz model, slapped on textures, a soundpack and a flight model. Abou the only part A2A did on this one is program the flight model, though it's not accurate enough to where they would make any claim it can be flown by the book. Here's what I posted at SOH:

Quote:
Maybe I was expecting too much based on the comments here, but this is certainly a budget aircraft. I was very impressed by the Hellcat textures and bump maps which were almost photoreal but the textures on this one are not to my liking at all, and look a bit cartoony. The engine sounds are not to my liking either, not only the recordings but also the way 30" MP sounds closer to idle to than a cruise setting. The flight model has a pleasing feel as far as flight goes, though when the engine sounds are so far off from the power setting it spoils my enjoyment. Over all the purchase was not for me, but not everybody is so demanding!
By the way the RealAir Duke has finally been released after 2 years of developement.

http://www.realairsimulations.com/du...e=duke09_intro

Looks very impressive. I've owned it for two days but have not had time to fly it yet, or even look at it!
EVGA Intel X58
Old 04-28-09, 06:02 PM   #2525
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Hey Lance

Thx for the heads up i havent dropped for the Corsair and after checking the thread at SOH i think i'll wait till its Acussim'ed & they fix the sound issue
Let us know how the Duke is,ive read that the VC is a little heavy on frames and from the shots ive seen its no wonder as they've pretty much poly modeled every last switch and dial!

As im not going for the Corsair im thinking i might try out the LH Kodiak,VC looks nice paint jobs are ok'ish and it might be fun to repaint

Btw did you get chance to play with the ENB tweak yet? ive had it on for the last week or so with the setting i posted in the zip and now when i turn it off FSX just looks really dull without it!

laters
steve
omzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-09, 08:12 PM   #2526
sillyeagle
sillyego

I'll try to check it out tonight, been playing some DX10 Stalker Clear Sky since I was finally able to get it running on windows 7 with a no DVD crack, as the DRM software would claim the disk was not in the drive.

I'm using the 185 vista driver with Win7 right now to get a 20-30% performance gain in FC2 and Clear Sky, but I'm not sure how FSX will handle it. I think I need to get the new nHancer first.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 04-29-09, 02:15 PM   #2527
sillyeagle
sillyego

Looks like this 185 driver is a bit crappy for FSX. It's like I'm running a blur filter, as everything is softened up, even the in game menu. Since I get a 20-30% gain in stalker and farcry 2 I'm sticking with this driver for right now.

I tried the tweak and it looks good, but I might need to tweak it a bit as the constrast is a bit too deep for me. The skies looks good but the dark greens get a little too dark for my liking.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 04-30-09, 11:15 AM   #2528
musman
I Derail Threads

FSX sure runs a heck of a lot better in Windows 7 beta & than XP! FSX is looking good now!
Antec Nine Hundred case. Core I-7 920 @ 3.56GHz, Noctua NH-U12P Cooler, EVGA 01G-P3-1180-AR GeForce GTX-285 1GB, EVGA GT-240 Superclocked 512Mb used as a Physx card, DFI LANPARTY JR X58-T3H6, OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1600 7-7-7-18, Intel X25-V SSD, used as a boot drive, 2X Seagate 500Gig 32MB Cache 7200RPM in RAID 0, Logitec G-15 keyboard, Logitech MX-518 Mouse, CH Combatstick 568, Xboc Controller, LG L227WTG-PF 22" LCD Monitor 1680x1050. Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit. Speakers: KRK Rokit8 studio monitors.

http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/media/customer.jpg
musman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-09, 01:53 PM   #2529
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyeagle View Post
Looks like this 185 driver is a bit crappy for FSX. It's like I'm running a blur filter, as everything is softened up, even the in game menu. Since I get a 20-30% gain in stalker and farcry 2 I'm sticking with this driver for right now.

I'm getting some weirdness with the 185's too. Some aircraft paints are blurry as hell when viewed at an angle, but some are fine. For instance Steve's C-152 repaint 'G-OWAC' looks blurred, but the default C-152 paints are fine - same with some other ac's. Terrain seems fine though.

Nv drivers have been fine for FSX for quite a while and now they have changed something and its screwed up....sigh.

Some great posting here - keeps me coming back for more.

Keep it up guys.

Silly / Lance, how’s the Orbx BETA testing going?

Cheers - Mark.
SJA06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-09, 02:41 PM   #2530
musman
I Derail Threads

I have been looking into getting a better GPU for FSX than the one I currently have (look at my sig for my current system). My budget is around $200 or so. Here are a few questions.

#1: Is Nvidia better than ATI for FSX?

#2: Is the card I currently have (4850 512Mb RAM) a bottleneck?

#3: What amount of GPU RAM is sufficient?

#4: Should I just wait a while for priced to come down on current cards?

I also play other games/sims. Crysis, CofD4, X-Plane, GRID...ect

Any suggested cards would be appreciated.
Antec Nine Hundred case. Core I-7 920 @ 3.56GHz, Noctua NH-U12P Cooler, EVGA 01G-P3-1180-AR GeForce GTX-285 1GB, EVGA GT-240 Superclocked 512Mb used as a Physx card, DFI LANPARTY JR X58-T3H6, OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1600 7-7-7-18, Intel X25-V SSD, used as a boot drive, 2X Seagate 500Gig 32MB Cache 7200RPM in RAID 0, Logitec G-15 keyboard, Logitech MX-518 Mouse, CH Combatstick 568, Xboc Controller, LG L227WTG-PF 22" LCD Monitor 1680x1050. Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit. Speakers: KRK Rokit8 studio monitors.

http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/media/customer.jpg
musman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-09, 03:42 PM   #2531
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJA06 View Post
Silly / Lance, how’s the Orbx BETA testing going?
Like Holger recently said they released the beta to testers very early on, and with such an early build there's not a lot of content in place. I'm sure things will be comming together nicely in the next builds. John said beta testers will have a new build early next week, and some of the new textures have been previewed....

http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=10836.0
EVGA Intel X58
Old 04-30-09, 03:57 PM   #2532
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
Originally Posted by musman View Post
I have been looking into getting a better GPU for FSX than the one I currently have (look at my sig for my current system). My budget is around $200 or so. Here are a few questions.

#1: Is Nvidia better than ATI for FSX?

#2: Is the card I currently have (4850 512Mb RAM) a bottleneck?

#3: What amount of GPU RAM is sufficient?

#4: Should I just wait a while for priced to come down on current cards?

I also play other games/sims. Crysis, CofD4, X-Plane, GRID...ect

Any suggested cards would be appreciated.
Nvidia is the way to go for FSX. Most benchmarks show Nvidia cards outperforming ATI even when the bottleneck sits on the CPU, which suggests the driver/architecture ATI uses deosn't work as well as Nvidia for FSX.

FSX is always going to be CPU bottlenecked on any modern graphics cards unless you're doing something crazy on the graphics side, which is to say you can in fact make it GPU bottlenecked, but you would have to go out of your way with special settings to do so.

You don't need a lot of GPU RAM for FSX since it's a CPU hungry game, but with more GPU RAM you can can tweak the engine to take advantage of it, plus with all the 4096 textures comming out these days it would be good to have as much as possible, especially when using memory intensive settings like 8xSQ supersampling via nHancer. If I were buying a new card for FSX I'd want 1GB to ensure I run without compromise.

I'll be waiting for a GT300 series card at the end of the year to replace my 260, which if you check out the rumor mill should be a monster.
EVGA Intel X58