Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-27-09, 08:24 PM   #1
LiquidX
xxxxxxx

Default Marvel vs. Capcom 2 comes to XBLA and PSN

http://www.tu4ar.com/

Quote:
It’s based on the Dreamcast code base – While the PS2 and Xbox versions of MvC2 were great, there are a few niggling issues in them that have caused the competitive community to continue using the Dreamcast version of the game. We wanted to bring you the very best version of the game, so we listened to the community and started with the Dreamcast.

There is online – With the game being developed by Backbone, we are using largely the same, critically acclaimed net code that we used in Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix and with that will come our player match quarter mode/lobby system that has proven so popular. Naturally leaderboards and some form of stats tracking (details to be provided at a later date) will also be in the mix. So on the net code side, you’re pretty much assured the best fighting game net code ever created for consoles.

HD upscaling options – Given that most people play Xbox 360s and PS3s on HD TVs, it’s important to help make the game look better. We’ve refined our real-time sprite filtering to use even more advanced techniques and we’re providing two upscaling options for the sprites… one we’ve termed “Crisp” the other we’ve termed “Smooth”. It’s a matter of personal preference for which one you’ll enjoy more. For purists, if you’d like you can use the “Classic” setting, which leaves the sprites completely unfiltered. Because the filtering is applied in real-time, you can change these settings on the fly, mid-match if you choose. Our producer will be showing you some comparison screenshots in the coming days to better clarify the differences. The backgrounds in MvC2 are all 3D, and when rendered at higher resolutions look fantastic. The original textures and assets from the Dreamcast were actually much higher quality than the Dreamcast could really display at the time and when shown in HD, the impact is really quite amazing.

Widescreen – Again, with most people playing on HD displays, we wanted to figure out how to implement widescreen support. To do so, the camera field of view was widened (which we’re able to do because of the 3D backgrounds effectively running off the “edges” of the 4:3 scenario) and there are a few camera tricks that minimize any impact on the gameplay. Play area is unchanged, and this is not a zoom and crop like HD Remix was. To put it simply, the gameplay area will be in a 4:3 field, while the viewing area will be widescreen. At the same time, for purists and competitive play, a 4:3 option (with vertical bars on the left and right) still exists.

No unlocking – While we love giving people unlockables in games, for this outing, there’s not a lot of surprises in terms of what characters are in the game. All 56 characters will be unlocked at the start for immediate play, again great for tournament play where players won’t need to mess with save game data or hacked versions (/shame).

Music Options – We love MvC2 but the original “jazzy” music has long been criticized even by ardent fans. Independent music volume controls and support of custom soundtracks on PS3 and 360 we deemed an important feature. Purists will still have what they love and fans of customization are also served.
http://www.capcom-unity.com/sven/blo...s_mvc2_is_real

Also....
Quote:
The US PlayStation network will have the demo available for download this week
LiquidX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-09, 08:33 PM   #2
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Default Re: Marvel vs. Capcom 2 comes to XBLA and PSN

Yup just saw the news... looks freaking awesome and can't believe we are getting a demo this Thursday... can't firggin wait WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Still wish Capcom could get the marvel rights again so we could get a third one on the SF4 engine... or just a third one that is sprite based again which is still awesome.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-09, 08:50 PM   #3
|MaguS|

Can't wait for the demo to release this week. Hope it plays smooth.
Old 04-27-09, 08:56 PM   #4
Logical

Theres something wrong if your PS3 cant play what is looking to be a Dreamcast port...smoothly.

On a side note...meh this was one of my fave beat em ups bring it to the Pc xD
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-09, 09:41 PM   #5
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical View Post
Theres something wrong if your PS3 cant play what is looking to be a Dreamcast port...smoothly.
It can be a crappy port for all we know. Also they are providing HD graphics so who's to say the upscalling will go smoothly.

SF2THD has some lag issues... so it's not smooth... and its an enhanced SNES port...
Old 04-28-09, 02:30 AM   #6
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

Oh sweet jeebus thank you. Strider, Captain Commando and Spiderman for the win. I have owned the Dreamcast import, the US release aswell as the PS2 and XBox release so I have bought this game 4X over and I will be rebuying it on both 360 and PS3. Spent hours and hours playing this game with friends. Too bad two of them are not around anymore.

And I ****ing hope this signals that there might be part 3.
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-09, 10:58 PM   #7
1337_Like_ThaT
O.U.T.L.A.W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N View Post
And I ****ing hope this signals that there might be part 3.

Im with you on that one

Now I can finally get back into MvC2 since my PS2 copy was stolen!

Gaming Rig
Inte Core 2 Duo 6700 @ 3.2ghz | EVGA nForce 680i | G.Skill DDR2 800mhz 4-4-4-12 @ 2.0v | Western Digital RaptorX 150GB | Western Digital 500GB SATA II | EVGA 8800GTS 512MB | Plextor PX-716SA DVD-RW | Plextor PX-755SA DVD-RW DL | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 | Antec 900 BLK | Dell FPW 2005 20.1" WS | IceMat 2nd. Ed. MousePad | Logitech G15 | Logitech G9 |

160GB (60GB) PS3 Owner | DS3 Controllers | PSN: Res215dg
PSP 3000 Black + 16GB Memory Stick Duo *Locked and Ready for Resistance Retribution*
1337_Like_ThaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-09, 11:25 PM   #8
OldOfEvil
Parrots + Xanax =

Fond memories of this game on my DC.

Old 04-30-09, 04:09 PM   #9
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

Demo is up but supposedly its only local multiplayer. What the ****, I wont even bother as I don't even have a second PS3 controller. First the ****ty online Bionic Commando demo now this.
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote