Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-03-09, 05:03 PM   #1
spectred

Default kwin: XRender "slow" (as usual), OpenGL much slower (new problem)

I don't know exactly when this started to happen and where to search the problem (so I will start here ) but kwin OpenGL rendering is unusable slow. Not only that the effects are stuttering very often, there is also a quite noticeable delay when rendering normal stuff like the maximize and minimize buttons. When I keep moving the mouse over these buttons (so that the images keeps changing) X cpu usage goes up to ~40% (and as mentioned they change with a visible delay).

When using XRender this is much better (no delay and X cpu usage at ~3-5%). With this only fade and resize effects are slow sometimes.

So where might this problem be located?
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (38.7 KB, 84 views)
spectred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-09, 05:23 PM   #2
thefirstm

Default Re: kwin: XRender "slow" (as usual), OpenGL much slower (new problem)

What video card are you using, and what driver version are you using? Also, what KDE version are you using?
thefirstm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-09, 07:37 PM   #3
spectred

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefirstm View Post
What video card are you using, and what driver version are you using? Also, what KDE version are you using?
oh sry, forgot to mention that

Video card: GeForce 8600M GT
Driver: 185.18.04
(iirc I didn't find one with good kwin opengl performance (tried 180.5x). This could lead to the conclusion that this is not a driver issue. But maybe some component (updated) connected to the driver (Xorg, Kernel, ..., kwin?) is able to trigger these problems? Imo the high X cpu usage is kinda suspicious.)
KDE: live trunk build (some days ago; >=20090428); Qt 4.5.1 (with qt-copy patches)
xorg-server: 1.6.1

I'm having these problems for some weeks, don't know if this can be a kwin issue (anyone who knows?)
Old 05-03-09, 08:54 PM   #4
thefirstm

Can you check the PowerMizer state while this is occuring? I have noticed that when I have compositing turned on (and I normally don't, for exactly this reason) and PowerMizer has throttled down my card, the OpenGL performance for the compositor is very laggy.
thefirstm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-09, 10:07 PM   #5
clarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectred View Post
oh sry, forgot to mention that

Video card: GeForce 8600M GT
Driver: 185.18.04
(iirc I didn't find one with good kwin opengl performance (tried 180.5x). This could lead to the conclusion that this is not a driver issue. But maybe some component (updated) connected to the driver (Xorg, Kernel, ..., kwin?) is able to trigger these problems? Imo the high X cpu usage is kinda suspicious.)
KDE: live trunk build (some days ago; >=20090428); Qt 4.5.1 (with qt-copy patches)
xorg-server: 1.6.1

I'm having these problems for some weeks, don't know if this can be a kwin issue (anyone who knows?)
I also has the same VGA card like you (8600M GT), same nvidia driver version (185.18.04), xorc-server 1.6.1, QT 4.5.1 and KDE 4.2.2 but I have no problem with Kwin/OpenGL mode at all. Hovering mouse over those buttons only make X consume 2~4% CPU
clarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 01:19 AM   #6
spectred

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarious View Post
I also has the same VGA card like you (8600M GT), same nvidia driver version (185.18.04), xorc-server 1.6.1, QT 4.5.1 and KDE 4.2.2 but I have no problem with Kwin/OpenGL mode at all. Hovering mouse over those buttons only make X consume 2~4% CPU
In this case I will try a kwin revision from around the 4.2(.2) (or the one from 4.2.2 if it compiles) release and see if this helps.

btw. regarding PowerMizer: Indeed for normal desktop usage most of the time it stays at the lowest level (0). But even in most cases the expose-effect works smoothly at the lowest level, so changing button images should not be too hard?
Old 05-04-09, 06:38 PM   #7
spectred

Ok, this problem definitely has something to do with kwin built from trunk. Installed kwin-4.2.2 (mixed it with my normal system which is quite unstable but it is able to do enough to compare the performance) and OpenGL performance there seems completely normal (X cpu usage at ~4%).

Will report this at bugs.kde.org later tomorrow.

But is this definitely a kwin bug or could it be some OpenGL interaction issue (which iirc happened before around the time kwin compositing got implemented, according to the driver release notes).
Anyone else who is able to test a kwin svn build with nvidia drivers?