Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-01-09, 02:01 PM   #13
oldcpu
Linux Neophyte

Default Re: Desktop Video corruption & VDPAU playback freeze w/180.44 and 185.19 on 8400GS

I propose this thread be closed as "SOLVED"

I moved the BFG 8400GS PCI (512MB) graphic card from the 9 year old athlon-1100 (running on an MSI KT3 ultra motherboard with an (old) 350 watt powersupply) to a relatively newer 4-year old athlon-2800 (running an an Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard with a slightly less old 360 watt power supply).

None of the anomalous behaviour exhibited with the older athlon-1100 appeared on the athlon-2800. The desktop was stable with no corruption. The H264 and MPEG videos played very nicely with vdpau with none of the previous problems. With the athlon-2800 I was using the nVidia 180.51 driver. In both cases the PC's were running openSUSE-11.1 with the KDE-3.5.10 desktop.

Hence I believe the previous problem was PC specific, ... either the power supply on the 9 year old PC too old, or there was a problem with interrupts, or it was just a basic incompatibility between the motherboard and the graphic card.

But vdpau (and the nvidia driver in general) work well on the 4 year old athlon-2800. I plan to leave the card in this PC.

I am happy to consider this CLOSED/SOLVED and my apologies for wasting the time of those who puzzled over this thread, when the problem appears to have been hardware related.
oldcpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-09, 08:26 AM   #14
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer

Default Re: Desktop Video corruption & VDPAU playback freeze w/180.44 and 185.19 on 8400GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
I moved the BFG 8400GS PCI (512MB) graphic card from the 9 year old athlon-1100 (running on an MSI KT3 ultra motherboard with an (old) 350 watt powersupply) to a relatively newer 4-year old athlon-2800 (running an an Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard with a slightly less old 360 watt power supply).

None of the anomalous behaviour exhibited with the older athlon-1100 appeared on the athlon-2800.
To clarify that this is not (simply) CPU-speed-related, I'd like to repeat that I was not able to permanently reproduce the problems on my Pentium III 500.

Carl Eugen
cehoyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 01:58 AM   #15
oldcpu
Linux Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by cehoyos View Post
To clarify that this is not (simply) CPU-speed-related, I'd like to repeat that I was not able to permanently reproduce the problems on my Pentium III 500.
I would definitely agree with that. I suspect the aging power supply, interrupts, or some motherboard aspect was responsible. I'm leaning toward the power supply, as there was also the desktop corruption that I was experiencing independent of any vdpau hiccups. I've talked to MS-Windows users who put in graphic cards, where their PC had inadequate power to run the card, and they saw such effects under a different OS (which supports the inadequate power supply theory).

Again, my apologies for wasting the time of those trying to help on this thread.
oldcpu is offline   Reply With Quote