Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-02-09, 01:49 PM   #1
mrooney
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5
Default applying twinview automatically at login?

Hello! I have two users on my laptop, one which I use at home and one at work. At work I have a second monitor hooked up, and currently have to enable it via nvidia's tool every day. I'd love to be able to save a good group of settings and have it applied at login for that user.

I've read some things that seem to imply I can save the good settings and use something like "nvidia-settings --load-config-only --config=good-settings" to load those good settings at startup, but I have had no luck at all in doing this.

Is there a simple set of instructions for going from a properly set up twinview, to having it automatically occur at login for that user?

I've attached the bug report log as per the stickies, plus the output of the "bad" (at start up) configuration and the good, which is just simply switching the second monitor from disabled to twinview.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated, thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (120.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: log twinviewbad.log (4.0 KB, 48 views)
File Type: log twinviewgood.log (3.8 KB, 62 views)
mrooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-09, 03:00 AM   #2
Windseeker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 38
Default Re: applying twinview automatically at login?

Hi!
This might help you:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...php?t=125606#3
Best,
Daniel
Windseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-09, 03:10 AM   #3
mrooney
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5
Default Re: applying twinview automatically at login?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windseeker View Post
Hi!
This might help you:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...php?t=125606#3
Best,
Daniel
Yeah, I figured out how to save it in my xorg.conf but that isn't a solution since only one user has this secondary monitor. I am looking for a way to enable twinview at login. Thanks though!
mrooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-09, 01:59 PM   #4
mrooney
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5
Default Re: applying twinview automatically at login?

This original post I don't think was specific enough (and I can't seem to change the title) so I've created a new one with more information and debugging at http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show....php?p=1998403.
mrooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 02:12 AM   #5
rainerklier
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 45
Lightbulb Re: applying twinview automatically at login?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrooney View Post
Yeah, I figured out how to save it in my xorg.conf but that isn't a solution since only one user has this secondary monitor. I am looking for a way to enable twinview at login. Thanks though!
you have nothing to do.
i have the same situation here.
at work i have second monitor attached to my notebook.
at home i don't have second monitor.
ich configured my xorg.conf to use second monitor.
when starting the notebook at home, the nvidia driver detects, that there is a second monitor configured but not attached.
it logs this situation in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log but starts up normally and works like there was no second monitor configured in xorg.conf.
when starting the notebook at work with second monitor attached (with docking-station/port-replicator) it uses it like configured in xorg.conf.
i have attached my xorg.conf.
you can check and compare with your xorg.conf.
you propably will have to change some values (resolutions, DFP-1 instead of DFP-2,...) to fit your needs.
but that should be no big problem i think.
Attached Files
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (6.2 KB, 84 views)
rainerklier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 01:12 PM   #6
mrooney
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5
Default Re: applying twinview automatically at login?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainerklier View Post
you have nothing to do.
i have the same situation here.
at work i have second monitor attached to my notebook.
at home i don't have second monitor.
ich configured my xorg.conf to use second monitor.
when starting the notebook at home, the nvidia driver detects, that there is a second monitor configured but not attached.
it logs this situation in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log but starts up normally and works like there was no second monitor configured in xorg.conf.
when starting the notebook at work with second monitor attached (with docking-station/port-replicator) it uses it like configured in xorg.conf.
i have attached my xorg.conf.
you can check and compare with your xorg.conf.
you propably will have to change some values (resolutions, DFP-1 instead of DFP-2,...) to fit your needs.
but that should be no big problem i think.
Thanks, this does seem to work well enough indeed! I wonder if this solution will still work though, if I end up getting a second monitor at home too?
mrooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 02:26 PM   #7
rainerklier
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 45
Wink Re: applying twinview automatically at login?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrooney View Post
Thanks, this does seem to work well enough indeed! I wonder if this solution will still work though, if I end up getting a second monitor at home too?
it will, as long as the monitor at home is attached to the same port.
as you can see in my xorg.conf there is no exact resolution configured for the second monitor. i used "nvidia-auto-select".
so every attached monitor will negotiate the resolution with the gfx-card.
this way it will automatically work with any monitor, as long as it supports EDID and is attached to the specified port (DFP-2 or DFP-1).

i have not tried, but maybe a second "metamodes"-line with DFP-2 replaced with DFP-1 or CRT-0 (depends on monitor and port) right under the first "metamodes"-line will do the trick, if the monitor at home will be attached on other port.

on my notebook DFP-0 is internal notebook-panel, DFP-1 is a monitor connected at the DVI-port of the notebook, DFP-2 is a monitor connected at the DVI-port of the port-replicator, CRT-0 is a monitor connected at the VGA-port of the notebook, CRT-1 is a monitor connected at the VGA-port of the port-replicator.
rainerklier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Twinview? ghorsepower NVIDIA Linux 2 10-11-02 12:46 PM
XF86Config for a Quadro4 without TwinView? Twirlip NVIDIA Linux 1 10-09-02 10:36 AM
Suse Linux 8.0 - Geforce 4 TwinView TA00 NVIDIA Linux 8 08-30-02 03:24 AM
Twinview with TV-out karlaugust NVIDIA Linux 10 08-28-02 04:20 PM
How do I configure TwinView on Dell Inspiron rutgerclaes NVIDIA Linux 6 08-01-02 03:20 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.