Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-07-09, 12:03 PM   #1
Boe

Default Firefox + Flash terribly slow

I can feel a huge difference between Linux and Windows. When I open two pages with Flash content in two tabs on my openSUSE 11.1 system I'm getting a painful performance lose. It's impossible to scroll up and down or even open a third tab. Browsing is becoming useless for me.
I hope someone can bring up a better Linux driver because on Windows Firefox is running smooth.

I have a nVidia 6600 graphic card and the 180.44 driver installed. I'm using Firefox 3.0.10 with the newest Flash plugin.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (110.0 KB, 116 views)
Boe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 03:37 AM   #2
wiresquire

Default Re: Firefox + Flash terribly slow

This may not be an nvidia problem. Flash (at least on linux) is *very* CPU hungry.

As a workaround, I would recommend that you install NoScript, Flashblock or FlashKiller. This lets you select which flash elements you want to enable.

HTH
ws
wiresquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 03:40 AM   #3
marchetto

I don't know if that's true... flash use hardware acceleration, so there's some connection with the nvidia driver.
Anyway flash is very heavy even on OSx (and nvidia)
marchetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 07:53 AM   #4
packermann

Flash is slow, yes, but I don't have such perfomance-slowdowns as described. I'm using Debian squezze/sid AMD64 with latest nvidia beta-driver on core2due laptop with quadro 140nvs ... I can open up 4-5 flashvideos and browse or do other things without a problem... firefox is 3.0.9, kernel 2.6.29 vanilla. Sure, cpu-usage rises when playing flash, but I would take a deeper look into your installation...
packermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 02:23 PM   #5
jcornwall

Ever since upgrading to Ubuntu 9.04 I have had no end of problems getting Flash to play smoothly. 8.10 wouldn't play fullscreen Flash smoothly on some websites, but Youtube in fullscreen worked OK. That's now unwatchable on my systems in 9.04 and the CPU is maxed out.

The curious thing is that not many people have reported this problem and it affects both my laptop (7900 GS) and desktop (GTX 260). I've tried several driver versions and am now running the latest betas. Compiz enabled/disabled makes no difference; it's also slow in Kubuntu.

I've given up with Flash now and am just waiting to see if it improves in 9.10.
jcornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 04:31 PM   #6
JFMR

Lightbulb Re: Firefox + Flash terribly slow

I do think that this may be a flash issue mostly. The reason being, I use hulu (flash based) on my HTPC. Flash full screen pegs the CPU, however, keeping the flash window normal, turning on Compiz, and using the compiz zoom on the flash window works well.

Using MythVodka (MythTV Hulu Plugin that unfortunately no longer works) resulted in a great fullscreen experience (keep in mind that mythvodka had to read the flash video, convert it on the fly to some other video standard and then play and full screen that).

So playing flash and using anything other than flash's built in full screen works. I know that flash versions up to 9.24? (version might be slightly off) worked better. From 9.112 (when they changed their fullscreen code) onwards things went to heck
JFMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-09, 12:37 PM   #7
psychok9

I've the same problem on fullscreen and with my Q6600/8800 GT.
nVidia drivers 185.18.04.
Jaunty 9.04 x64.

The problem is "showed" with HQ videos (LQ videos are too little for stress flash plugin).
The worst problem is the video tearing/vsync-off, all videos affected!
Please nVidia, fix it if you can...
psychok9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-09, 01:03 PM   #8
jcornwall

I normally fix tearing by checking the General -> Display Settings -> Sync To VBlank option in Compiz settings.

But the Flash thing is really bad. I get it even on low quality Youtube fullscreen videos.

Old 05-10-09, 04:52 AM   #9
mrn

If your running compositing flash disables hardware acceleration, this isn't an nvidia issue, this is a flash issue.

And if your running compositing, use zoom features in that instead of in flash, as that will use hardware and will be fast.
mrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-09, 08:59 AM   #10
jcornwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcornwall View Post
Compiz enabled/disabled makes no difference
Just quoting for emphasis.
Old 05-10-09, 09:14 AM   #11
psychok9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrn View Post
If your running compositing flash disables hardware acceleration, this isn't an nvidia issue, this is a flash issue.

And if your running compositing, use zoom features in that instead of in flash, as that will use hardware and will be fast.
I'll find it soon.
Old 05-10-09, 09:19 AM   #12
psychok9

I've the same problem with compiz disabled.