Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-08-09, 09:14 AM   #1
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Default This UPS any good?

Looking to get my computer hardware attached to a battery backup. Lots of choices out there, and I don't want to spend a ton of money on it. I'm thinking of this model. Would this be enough for my desktop system (see sig), to at just be able to shut down in the event of a surge/outage?
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-09, 10:32 PM   #2
Tr1cK
not coming back

Default Re: This UPS any good?

I think it would suffice for probably 10 minutes or so as long as the system doesn't stay under load while on the battery. I've had a similar non-LCD display model in use for a few years now and has been flawless.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 12:58 AM   #3
Bman212121

Nope, that UPS isn't big enough for your pc. It would easily shut down if you were in a game. I can draw over 600W with the stuff that is in my sig. (Monitor included)

There is a 1200VA model from them that would probably keep your pc up for about 5 minutes, which is just long enough to shut the pc down before you run out of juice.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16842102041

I'd probably suggest the 1500VA model for a rig like yours as it can definitely suck down the juice. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16842102054

I use one of these right now:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...k=apc%20BR1200

It's a little bit more than the Cyberpower unit but it's from a well known name and has worked well for me so far. Just recently I had to replace the battery in one of my units (They last between 3 - 5 years) and I can go right to APCs site and order a new battery. It includes free shipping and disposal for the used one. As of right now Cyberpower doesn't sell any replacement batteries for their units so you'll have to find someone who does. We use all APC units at work so it was the first choice for me.

I can't say as I've heard anything good or bad about Cyberpower so you might want to do a little browsing. Just keep in mind that bigger is usually better and the extra $30 or so for a 1500va model should allow your unit to handle more equipment if needed and possibly add another minute or two of runtime. You have a couple grand in computer equipment so it makes sense to guard it with a solid UPS. If for some reason your stuff gets fried you can send them the broken parts and they will replace anything that was damaged.

EDIT: I vaguely remember this test, but I know I was running a benchmark of WiC on my pc. I'm pretty sure this is only the tower and no monitor (2407 = 70W). If my BR900 would have needed to kick over to battery it would have just shut down as the overload light was on.

Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 02:01 AM   #4
CaptNKILL
CUBE

I really don't know too much about these things but I think it'd be a good thing to get some day.

A few questions...

Does a UPS battery still need replaced every 3-5 years if you very rarely lose power?

How much do the replacement batteries normally cost?

Are there any other benefits (or problems) related to using a UPS other than getting a couple minutes to shut your computer down properly?
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 08:36 AM   #5
saturnotaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post
Nope, that UPS isn't big enough for your pc. It would easily shut down if you were in a game. I can draw over 600W with the stuff that is in my sig. (Monitor included)

There is a 1200VA model from them that would probably keep your pc up for about 5 minutes, which is just long enough to shut the pc down before you run out of juice.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16842102041

I'd probably suggest the 1500VA model for a rig like yours as it can definitely suck down the juice. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16842102054

I use one of these right now:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...k=apc%20BR1200

It's a little bit more than the Cyberpower unit but it's from a well known name and has worked well for me so far. Just recently I had to replace the battery in one of my units (They last between 3 - 5 years) and I can go right to APCs site and order a new battery. It includes free shipping and disposal for the used one. As of right now Cyberpower doesn't sell any replacement batteries for their units so you'll have to find someone who does. We use all APC units at work so it was the first choice for me.

I can't say as I've heard anything good or bad about Cyberpower so you might want to do a little browsing. Just keep in mind that bigger is usually better and the extra $30 or so for a 1500va model should allow your unit to handle more equipment if needed and possibly add another minute or two of runtime. You have a couple grand in computer equipment so it makes sense to guard it with a solid UPS. If for some reason your stuff gets fried you can send them the broken parts and they will replace anything that was damaged.
That's exactly the info I was looking for, thanks. I didn't realize that you can't get battery replacements from Cyberpower directly, so it looks like APC is going to be the best choice when the time comes.

Now I just have to work out the budgetary constraints in order to pony up for the bigger model.
Old 05-11-09, 08:58 AM   #6
JaxMacFL

I agree with a minimum of 1500VA. Living here in Florida with all the lightening strikes we get every spring and summer a good UPS (IMHO) is a must. They keep you running with out missing a beat. They have served me well over the years. This is the one I'm currently using on my rig:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16842101067

I even have my broadband modem hooked up separately to an older UPS I replaced. Never had to replace a battery yet (knock on wood) and three of the four I have (I have three computers) are over 5yrs old.
i7 2600K @ 4.8GHz (1.40v) w/NH-D14 - P8P67 WS B3 rev (BIOS 2105) - G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3-1600 16GB (7-8-7-24-2T) - Sapphire 7970 Crossfire w/Xtreme 7970 coolers - OCZ Agility 3 240GB - Dell 3008FPW - SB X-Fi Tit Fatal1ty Pro - Seasonic X-1250W - CM HAF X RC942 - Win 7 HP x64 SP1
JaxMacFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 01:11 PM   #7
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
I really don't know too much about these things but I think it'd be a good thing to get some day.

A few questions...

Does a UPS battery still need replaced every 3-5 years if you very rarely lose power?

How much do the replacement batteries normally cost?

Are there any other benefits (or problems) related to using a UPS other than getting a couple minutes to shut your computer down properly?
You can stretch the batteries sometimes more than 5 years, but generally they aren't going to last that long. Even if you don't lose power often the batteries are still trickle charged so there is some wear and tear on them.

For my 1200va model the battery costed $70 + shipping, which is a little less than half the total cost of the unit. It is a little bit more than you might be able to find other batteries for, but it comes with free recycling of the old battery so you don't have to hunt down a place to return the old one at.

There are several advantages of a UPS. It will prevent surges / spikes, electrical noise, and under / over voltage situations if it has AVR. My units will kick on at least once a month for electrical noise. AVR (Auto Voltage Regulation) allows the UPS to keep a steady 120VAC in occurrences where you have sags or spikes. So if you only have 100V coming into the house the unit can input that and continue to input out 120VAC. Same goes for high voltage although technically if you have an Active PFC PSU it should be able to handle these load changes on its own. (Your monitor on the other hand won't)

One little catch I've noticed with APC though is they have 2 AVR models, an XS, and the RS. The XS only does "boost" for brownouts, where the RS does both directions. The XS is slightly cheaper and is what you find in every store, where the RS you see at most online retailers. Just look at the pictures on the box or on the site. It's funny because APC doesn't sell the XS models directly, so they probably only make them to compete in retail stores.

I have my router and modem also backed up so if the power just flashes you don't have everything reboot on you. They don't draw much so you can easily put them on with your pc.
Old 05-11-09, 01:20 PM   #8
saturnotaku

Quote:
One little catch I've noticed with APC though is they have 2 AVR models, an XS, and the RS. The XS only does "boost" for brownouts, where the RS does both directions. The XS is slightly cheaper and is what you find in every store, where the RS you see at most online retailers. Just look at the pictures on the box or on the site. It's funny because APC doesn't sell the XS models directly, so they probably only make them to compete in retail stores.

So this one would probably be best for my system, would you say?

Old 05-11-09, 06:29 PM   #9
Tr1cK
not coming back

My 900VA has a run time of 7 minutes under full load with my home PC. That's good enough for me. I'm only using around 420 watts though and that includes my 22" LCD.

I fully agree on getting a big one for your system or you will regret it later.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 10:43 PM   #10
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1cK View Post
My 900VA has a run time of 7 minutes under full load with my home PC. That's good enough for me. I'm only using around 420 watts though and that includes my 22" LCD.

I fully agree on getting a big one for your system or you will regret it later.
The GTX295 can probably eat 420W all by itself.

(It's really only about half that)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post

So this one would probably be best for my system, would you say?
It's a tossup between the BR1500 and the BR1500LCD. The BR1500 (White) has slightly more runtime on the high end, and it also includes the ability to add an additional battery if you want extended runtime. For surge protection the BR1500 has network and the 1500LCD has Coax. Not sure if I'd use either as it might interfere with the signal (Just IMO, I may or may not be right). However the BR1500LCD wins on the price tag by $25, so if you don't think you'll want to have extended runtime it's probably the better choice. I personally have never really needed more than a few minutes and if the power is out for more than 5 minutes you probably need to find a flash light and take care of other issues. One good thing though is that if you're in a game for a minute or so and the power doesn't come back on, if you just goto the desktop you should drop your usage by about 50% allowing a couple of extra minutes for shutdown.

Here is the breakdown in run times for all of the models in that family.

http://www.apc.com/products/runtime_...m?upsfamily=23

Another little FYI to anyone using a battery backup is to check the power settings if you're using Vista. When I was testing my unit I pulled power from the wall and my computer immediately shutdown. Turns out the power management was set to hibernate the computer at like 85% battery remaining.
Old 05-12-09, 05:22 AM   #11
saturnotaku

Quote:
For surge protection the BR1500 has network and the 1500LCD has Coax.
Those don't apply in my case because both my desktop and notebook use wireless. I'll have to look at those two more in depth, but the LCD version is the front runner at this point. The white, non-LCD model is appealing for its smaller footprint. Decisions, decisions.
Old 05-12-09, 08:56 AM   #12
JaxMacFL

I believe the XS doesn't doesn't have a battery replacement if it fails. I know the RS does though.

Edit: Come to think of it I think that might have been the BX model.

Edit #2: Okay, found out where I read the 'no replacement battery'. Bad new is it was the BR1500LCD. Good news it it has been rectified. Replacement batteries are offered now.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/review/RP5BUJP...#RP5BUJPUEJ2B7
i7 2600K @ 4.8GHz (1.40v) w/NH-D14 - P8P67 WS B3 rev (BIOS 2105) - G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3-1600 16GB (7-8-7-24-2T) - Sapphire 7970 Crossfire w/Xtreme 7970 coolers - OCZ Agility 3 240GB - Dell 3008FPW - SB X-Fi Tit Fatal1ty Pro - Seasonic X-1250W - CM HAF X RC942 - Win 7 HP x64 SP1
JaxMacFL is offline   Reply With Quote