Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-11-09, 06:28 PM   #1
enkidu

Default AMD says about Linux Avivo support even for AGP cards

And what about NVidia? for me new PC is not a priority, cause it seems, that buying X1950 card will be enough to watch HD movies with hardware offload. Buying new NV card supporting VDPAU means for me new motherboard and CPU - and then I wouldn't need hardware offload. You should really think about partial CPU offload (as in AMD implementation) even forcing community to write software modules. OC if you don't want to loose users - as your cards are kinda expensive in comparision with AMD ones. I've seen mentioned above card working smoothly with Linux. 50 Euros is nothing for me...
enkidu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-09, 05:52 AM   #2
thefirstm

Default Re: AMD says about Linux Avivo support even for AGP cards

Well, ask AMD to put its money where its mouth is. So far, there aren't any programs (IIRC) that use XvBA, where there are at least five or six already that fully support VDPAU.
thefirstm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-09, 08:53 AM   #3
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkidu View Post
Buying new NV card supporting VDPAU means for me new motherboard and CPU
Wrong if your CPU has SSE support (= Pentium III 500, Athlon XP or newer).
Quote:
- and then I wouldn't need hardware offload.
I call my E8400 fast, but there are samples that need VDPAU if you want to avoid framedrops.
Quote:
You should really think about partial CPU offload (as in AMD implementation)
I can't speak for AMD implementation, but VDPAU does this in many cases:
ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...html#id2583900
Quote:
your cards are kinda expensive in comparision with AMD ones. I've seen mentioned above card working smoothly with Linux. 50 Euros is nothing for me...
VDPAU cards start below 50€:
http://geizhals.at/eu/a318031.html

Please post your results with Avivo on Linux, I'm curious, Carl Eugen
cehoyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-09, 04:32 PM   #4
blandoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cehoyos View Post
Wrong if your CPU has SSE support (= Pentium III 500, Athlon XP or newer).
But not wrong if all you have is an AGP slot - as far as I know there are no AGP cards with GPUs new enough to support VDPAU (correct me if I'm wrong; I've been looking). You could get a PCI card, I guess, but I wouldn't expect very good performance even with VDPAU, let alone 3D.

Still, announcing support and actually delivering something that works are a long way apart, so AMD and/or their developer community still have some distance to go.
blandoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-09, 05:46 PM   #5
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandoon View Post
You could get a PCI card, I guess, but I wouldn't expect very good performance even with VDPAU
It works for me for HD streams on a Pentium III 500.

Carl Eugen
Old 05-13-09, 04:07 AM   #6
Dragoran

Quote:
And what about NVidia? for me new PC is not a priority, cause it seems, that buying X1950 card will be enough to watch HD movies with hardware offload. Buying new NV card supporting VDPAU means for me new motherboard and CPU - and then I wouldn't need hardware offload. You should really think about partial CPU offload (as in AMD implementation) even forcing community to write software modules. OC if you don't want to loose users - as your cards are kinda expensive in comparision with AMD ones. I've seen mentioned above card working smoothly with Linux. 50 Euros is nothing for me...
If the AMD card suits your need just buy it. Nobody is stopping you.
Btw AMD cards do not provide ANY video acceleration right now. You cannot use it on Linux until they provide API documentation or sample code.
Dragoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-09, 07:52 AM   #7
enkidu

@cehoyos
What GPU do you have?
@Dragoran
Cannot use their acceleration - ok. But XvBA library seems to be included, so its only community fail. I cannot use NVidia's acceleration on AGP cards either. Don't know, how it would suit my needs, cause I need more power only to watch HD videos, for all other purposes old GF2 MX was enough, but when it died, I bought GF6600GT and really would like to get it working with more that MPEG1/2 acceleration. I know, that Linux Video Architecture is horrible, but community can handle writing software parts. Really.

Other "failure" - AMD has GUI for driver installer, while NV console-based one is very painfull for linux newbies. C'mon guys, we have 21st century and most of PC users are not console-friendly.
enkidu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-09, 09:28 AM   #8
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer

Quote:
Cannot use their acceleration - ok. But XvBA library seems to be included, so its only community fail.
(Also) wrong: AMD/ATI forgot to release API and headers, so it will be very difficult to implement hardware decoding.
Note that people who succeeded to compile something (XvMC with XvBA library iirc) reported only crashes.
Quote:
I cannot use NVidia's acceleration on AGP cards either. Don't know, how it would suit my needs, cause I need more power only to watch HD videos, for all other purposes old GF2 MX was enough
Quote:
@cehoyos
What GPU do you have?
Note that this does not matter for the usage you described above (which is exactly why I use these cards: I don't care about 3D, only about hardware accelerated decoding), every card basically supports the same videos, only de-interlacing is limited on G98 (advanced de-interlacing for PAL over DVB and DVD works, though).
(G98 and G96)

Carl Eugen

Old 05-13-09, 11:19 AM   #9
blandoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cehoyos View Post
It works for me for HD streams on a Pentium III 500.
Interesting. I'll take your word for it - I was expecting that the amount of data being hauled in and out of RAM might be too much for 33MHz PCI, but maybe not.

Quote:
Other "failure" - AMD has GUI for driver installer, while NV console-based one is very painfull for linux newbies. C'mon guys, we have 21st century and most of PC users are not console-friendly.
All the major distributions have a 180.xx driver in their package managers by now. I've installed it (on openSUSE, in my case) without the need for any command line interaction. If you want to run the bleeding-edge drivers, then you need to learn a little something about how your system works.
blandoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-09, 12:42 PM   #10
Dragoran

Quote:
@cehoyos
What GPU do you have?
@Dragoran
Cannot use their acceleration - ok. But XvBA library seems to be included, so its only community fail.
No, the API is undocumented and there are no header files available.
Dragoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-09, 07:48 PM   #11
hl_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoran View Post
No, the API is undocumented and there are no header files available.
That, and I doubt XvBA is as mature and well-tested as VDPAU on NVidia cards is now.
Also: zero software support for XvBA (for obvious reasons), while VDPAU is supported by a lot of media players and media center software.
hl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-09, 08:38 PM   #12
Deanjo

Quote:
You mean the same ATI that dropped support for the R500 and under with their blobs? The same ATI that has no near future plans in their opensource drivers for HD acceleration just basic XvMC?
Deanjo is offline   Reply With Quote