Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-15-09, 01:24 AM   #25
lee63
Classified

Default Re: Killing Floor gameplay videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
I bought it a week ago. had I seen them then I would have passed.
Hows the game play ? looks really jerky in those vids...not smooth like L4D.
Old 05-15-09, 04:09 AM   #26
LordJuanlo
Widescreen rules

I was on walterman's group yesterday, initial impresion is that it sucks. Average graphics and below average animations. You can't compare it with Left 4 Dead, Valve title is miles ahead by far. My impression is that Killing Floor is much more a survival title, it's really easy to run out of ammo and you have to start using knife.

Maps are huge, you can go wherever you want. Game sends waves of zombies and you have a counter of how many are alive. Once all are dead you can go to a shop and you have 1 minute to buy ammo, weapons and upgrades before the next wave arrives.

It's like Invasion for Unreal Tournament 2004, but massive. Most people on the group thought that game really sucked, however I think it can be fun and addictive, but gameplay is radically different from Left 4 Dead, you don't have unlimited pistol ammo and every shot counts.

After a couple of matches in Left 4 Dead you know what to do, but not in Killing Floor, the huge maps and the total freedom can be a problem if you are used to run from saferoom to saferoom.

I want to keep playing and learn, but I'm not sure on how many people on our group will want to do the same. Looking at this Steam thread asking about opinions on the game, it looks like almost everybody is enjoying it, even people hated it at the beginning, and started loving it after a couple of matches.
ATI 5870 (Graphics) + GeForce 9600GT (PhysX) on Samsung SM244T 1920x1200
LG GGW-H20L BluRay & HD-DVD / Logitech Z-5500 5.1 DTS / Westone 3 Earphones
Asus Xonar D2 / 360 Elite Wireless Controller / Gigabyte Odin GT 800W
Windows 7 x64
(also a 360 and a PSP )
LordJuanlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-09, 04:46 AM   #27
wysiwyg

Valve shouldnt allow crap like this and Merchants of Brooklyn on steam!
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-09, 05:55 AM   #28
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee63 View Post
Hows the game play ? looks really jerky in those vids...not smooth like L4D.
It's actually very smooth for me on a single HD 4870. Like LJ said though, it can't be compared with L4D.

Configuring the game, joining coop, menus altogether feel very clunky and unfinished.

The 1 minute to trade is very irritating. Feels like you can't browse weapons choices, just grab and be happy.

I played a bit solo on hard last night, and if you have room to back pedal, there is no challenge, just slash away and you'll most likely survive no problem.

My biggest problem with it so far is the absolute lack of any atmosphere at all. You get the 'next wave' message, get rushed, go to trader and back to 'next wave' message.

Won't take long for my copy to grow some cobwebs.
Old 05-15-09, 06:27 AM   #29
Section-9
Pixel Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Section-9
Smile Re: Killing Floor gameplay videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
Valve shouldnt allow crap like this and Merchants of Brooklyn on steam!
That's going a bit far now, steam is a good platform for indie games.

Not every game in the store will appeal to you.

Variety is the spice of life and Killing Floor is a high quality mod.

| Cooler Master HAF 932| AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition 3.2GHz |Zalman CNPS9900ALED 120mm Blue LED | Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 (rev. 2.0) |G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 |LG 10X Blu-ray Burner |
Crucial SSD (2x64GB) Raid 0 + WD Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair TX850w | 2x Evga GTX 580's SuperClocked (SC) 1.5GB in SLI | Dell 24'' (1080p) |
Razer Carcharias | Klipsch 2.1 speakers | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 |Saitek Cyborg keyboard | Cyborg R.A.T. 7 Gaming mouse |

Laptop:

| Alienware M14x | Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) |Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.0GHz | 8GB RAM DDR3 | 750GB 7200rpm | Hybrid Intel HD Graphics 3000 / NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M |14" WLED HD display (1366 x 768) |
Section-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-09, 06:31 AM   #30
LordJuanlo
Widescreen rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
My biggest problem with it so far is the absolute lack of any atmosphere at all. You get the 'next wave' message, get rushed, go to trader and back to 'next wave' message.
You nailed it, and if you play solo you will get bored very quickly. The only way to enjoy this game is to play coop with friends. I still think the game can be fun with a good group of people wanting to play serious coop, because you can be very creative, you have a huge scenery with tons of rooms and open areas, you can try to survive inside a room, barricade the doors, or you can go to corridors and try to reach shops on your way, so the ridicule minute you get to shop can be spent on shopping, and not moving to the shop.

If people buy it expecting a game similar to L4D they will be severely dissapointed, they are on completly different leagues, that's why L4D is worth $50 and KF is $15 (I think $20 now that promotion has expired).
ATI 5870 (Graphics) + GeForce 9600GT (PhysX) on Samsung SM244T 1920x1200
LG GGW-H20L BluRay & HD-DVD / Logitech Z-5500 5.1 DTS / Westone 3 Earphones
Asus Xonar D2 / 360 Elite Wireless Controller / Gigabyte Odin GT 800W
Windows 7 x64
(also a 360 and a PSP )
LordJuanlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-09, 11:56 AM   #31
KrAzYeTy

Worth every penny IMO! Played with 5 clan mates and we played ALL night!

Sure its not L4D but overall its pure fun for 20 bucks. Many many times we were killing ourselves laughing from either someone going crazy with the chainsaw during slow motion or the British accents (Money money moneeeey).

Leveling up is great, the perks later on in the night allowed us to turn up the difficulty. Most of us are just level 1 (start at 0) and even normal is hard right now. I could not imagine suicidal mode.

I don't know why everyone expects this to be a top tier title, considering the price the developer knew what market they were pushing for.

If you enjoy playing with friends, like guns and zombies this is a no brainer!
KrAzYeTy is offline   Reply With Quote