Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-14-09, 11:08 AM   #13
Scendore

Default Re: Battlestations pacific

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPC View Post
What's so bad about it?

I have a better question what's good about it? Pretty retarded for something that boasts combat flying.

It's an arcade game that's aimed at the average joe that doesn't know anything about actually flying. That's fine if it's your cup of tea.

For me it's a complete waste of time.

The only up and coming game that looks to bridge the gap which I don't think has be been done before is IL2 Birds of Prey. It has an arcade style to it and from what I've read you can put it into more difficult settings which will get you closer to a real combat flight sim. It looks very promising.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37363.html
Scendore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-09, 03:28 PM   #14
mizzer
Is he safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scendore View Post

It's an arcade game that's aimed at the average joe that doesn't know anything about actually flying.
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37363.html
Sounds like they intend to target the market majority. Sounds like good business sense.

I will add that it's fun. Lot's of fun when you play with friends.
mizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-09, 11:11 AM   #15
Scendore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzer View Post
Sounds like they intend to target the market majority. Sounds like good business sense.

I will add that it's fun. Lot's of fun when you play with friends.

Define fun? If you're into an arcade shooter then set your hair on fire. The flying part has nothing to do with flying. I bet people don't know that you only have about 20 seconds of MG time before the guns run out. The game is pretty silly and it will be yet another short lived title. Yeah it makes business sense alright. Just keep making thin titles rinse and repeat.

There is very little depth to this game which is why I mentioned IL2 Birds of Prey might actually bridge the gap.

It will be interesting to see if 1C can pull it off.
Old 05-15-09, 11:39 AM   #16
Retrolock

If the Philippines is featured in the campaign it might tempt me to buy it.

Battle of Leyte Gulf is the awesmosest naval battle of all time
Old 05-15-09, 12:14 PM   #17
mizzer
Is he safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scendore View Post
Define fun? If you're into an arcade shooter then set your hair on fire. The flying part has nothing to do with flying. I bet people don't know that you only have about 20 seconds of MG time before the guns run out. The game is pretty silly and it will be yet another short lived title. Yeah it makes business sense alright. Just keep making thin titles rinse and repeat.

There is very little depth to this game which is why I mentioned IL2 Birds of Prey might actually bridge the gap.

It will be interesting to see if 1C can pull it off.
If I acknowledge that you know more about flight sims than the average PC gamer will you quit acting like Battle Stations: Pacific stole your cookies? Obviously the game was not marketed to you.

I build computers. I like a fast computer with sufficient power to run the current games. That's my standard for my own needs. I don't criticize my mother's Dell desktop that she uses for email and photos as being "insufficient". It suits her needs. Dell marketed it to meet the basic needs of a certain type of user. I'm not one of those users. So, I don't complain.

The only mention of "realism" on the official site is "Experience a new level of visual realism where the Pacific Ocean and its chains of islands truly come to life. Immerse yourself in the action with the all new ****pit view and fight the enemy at day, night and in different weather conditions."

Nothing about "flight models"
Nothing about "physics"
Nothing about "simulation"

In fact, the only thing it claims to simulate is command of WWII era battle fleets.

So, don't worry. This game was not meant to be your kind of game in the first place. It did no one wrong. Other games will come out. They'll talk about "realism" and "physics" and stuff like that. And then you can criticize those games when they don't meet your expectations. For now? Just run along and enjoy what you like and hope for what may be coming in the future.

BTW, for all you non-sim'ers...this game is a blast.
Old 05-15-09, 02:53 PM   #18
Scendore

Quote:
If I acknowledge that you know more about flight sims than the average PC gamer will you quit acting like Battle Stations: Pacific stole your cookies? Obviously the game was not marketed to you.
First I'm not acting like anything. Like you I'm stating an opinion and just because it doesn't favor the game doesn't mean it's any less valid than yours.

Quote:
I build computers. I like a fast computer with sufficient power to run the current games. That's my standard for my own needs. I don't criticize my mother's Dell desktop that she uses for email and photos as being "insufficient". It suits her needs. Dell marketed it to meet the basic needs of a certain type of user. I'm not one of those users. So, I don't complain.
I don't think your analogy does you service in this case. The game is nothing more than a watered down flying arcade game much like many others out there. I'm simple stating it does nothing to promote any real skill or knowlege of the subject area of WWII Air Combat. It's yet another game for folks like you to go out and spend money play for about a week and never look at it again. Lets see where the game is in 2 years. I'm sure it will have a massive following and a supportive community.

Quote:
The only mention of "realism" on the official site is "Experience a new level of visual realism where the Pacific Ocean and its chains of islands truly come to life. Immerse yourself in the action with the all new ****pit view and fight the enemy at day, night and in different weather conditions."

Nothing about "flight models"
Nothing about "physics"
Nothing about "simulation"

In fact, the only thing it claims to simulate is command of WWII era battle fleets.

So, don't worry. This game was not meant to be your kind of game in the first place. It did no one wrong. Other games will come out. They'll talk about "realism" and "physics" and stuff like that. And then you can criticize those games when they don't meet your expectations. For now? Just run along and enjoy what you like and hope for what may be coming in the future.

BTW, for all you non-sim'ers...this game is a blast.
Oh I understand it's not a game that was meant for guys like me however it does touch upon on of my favorite genres which I do care about. It's too bad it doesn't do any justice to WWII Air Combat other than to give people the impression of an arcade game.

The other game I mentioned is an arcade flying game which sounds promising. Even though it has it's roots in some sort of arcade style flying game it has some interesting game play options that may actually give us Simmers someting to look at. And it may even help those that don't know anything about the Flight Sim world a glimps into something much larger than flying around with a HUD and endless bullets. Something that I find much more rewarding than what this game has to offer.

Regardless I'm not going to change your mind. You love it then go have fun with it. The game is what it is and you're right about the goals they never claimed reality even though the content comes from reality.

Just be aware that if a company puts out a game it's up for scrutiny by anyone. It's time for you to get over yourself already and get over the fact some people just might not like it. Like others I'm allowed to criticize it as I see fit and there is very little you can do about it so move on.
Old 05-15-09, 06:10 PM   #19
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

Yes, please do move on.

Hi mizzer!
I'm gonna shoot you down with a rocket launcher!
8 Gigs Kingston 1333 DD3
Asus VH238H 23" LED 2ms
WD 1TB Caviar Black 64MB cache SATA 6 Gb/s
CM Silent Pro 850 Watt

Band: http://www.myspace.com/hollowappostle
Fuku2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-09, 07:04 PM   #20
Bman212121

Anyone have trouble with the install? It look forever for me to install the game, then once I tried to run it there was a Dx9 error. Haven't tried updates DX runtimes yet, so I'm hoping that might fix it.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-09, 07:18 PM   #21
fizzelopeguss

I had issues with nvidia beta drivers.
fizzelopeguss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-09, 11:41 PM   #22
mizzer
Is he safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuku2 View Post
Yes, please do move on.

Hi mizzer!
I'm gonna shoot you down with a rocket launcher!
<-- spits soda on keyboard

You...you...

Old 05-15-09, 11:52 PM   #23
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzelopeguss View Post
I had issues with nvidia beta drivers.
Nonsense. Sounds like you were using ATi drivers.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-09, 12:15 AM   #24
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Yeah, anytime you have a driver issue double-check to make sure they weren't ATI drivers. Even if they say nVidia, ATI drivers are so bad they can often be mislabled.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote