Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-15-09, 08:13 PM   #49
Dreamweavernoob
Desperate code

Default Re: IGN bashes Microsoft PC game support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
But don't pc gamers have the rights as a consumer to be mad about getting a half ass port? I guarantee if console players were getting mostly crap PC ports the atmosphere would be exactly the opposite.

Devs now have an attitude that PC gamers should be grateful they still make games for the platform. I don't buy that crap for one second, and they were not making money off the PC they would have stopped making the games long ago.

I bought fallout 3 and liked it, I played the FEAR 2 demo and knew immediately I would never buy it unless I found it for less than $20. Why because it is a hack console port, and it showed within the first seconds. It is an udder disgrace compared to the original fear.

This guy is done wasting $50 on an over hyped POS that runs perfectly on a console. Not so much on the PC.
Its all going tits up.
Old 05-15-09, 11:34 PM   #50
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
But don't pc gamers have the rights as a consumer to be mad about getting a half ass port? I guarantee if console players were getting mostly crap PC ports the atmosphere would be exactly the opposite.

Devs now have an attitude that PC gamers should be grateful they still make games for the platform. I don't buy that crap for one second, and they were not making money off the PC they would have stopped making the games long ago.

I bought fallout 3 and liked it, I played the FEAR 2 demo and knew immediately I would never buy it unless I found it for less than $20. Why because it is a hack console port, and it showed within the first seconds. It is an udder disgrace compared to the original fear.

This guy is done wasting $50 on an over hyped POS that runs perfectly on a console. Not so much on the PC.
You do have a point Bacon. We do have rights and should be allowed to return bought copies of crappy PC games. I know not all store allow this, but most do. I returned Double Agent. The problem is most people pirate THEN complain about the crappy port, most of the time right on the devs and publishers site! That is annoying.

I dunno. Dreamernoob is right. It is going tits up! I do have hope though, there are a few beacons out there, The Witcher Series, Valve, EA (The Sims, hate it or not has done a lot to get people into PC gaming), THQ (Relic mostly) and of course modding.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-09, 04:25 AM   #51
Buio

Here is another point on Microsofts mindless console only support.

They bought Rare for a whopping $375 million.

Rare has put out several games for the XBox 360, none has been a success. Well at least not what Microsoft wanted, i.e. for Rare games to sell the console. It would be really interesting to see the numbers Halo Wars compared to Rare latest game sales. My bet is that Halo Wars sold more. Yet Microsoft shut down Ensemble Studios, but are keeping Rare.
Buio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-09, 04:46 AM   #52
JohnDio

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
Exactly... As Crainger said, talking to console gamers and you see excitement and people having fun with games like FEAR 2 and Fallout 3... talking to PC gamers and you feel guilty for liking games at all.

Not all PC gamers of course, but enough.
You know what the main problem is? That PC gamers had even more excitement when the prequels of most games were released. Consoles gamers are adoring Bioshock, FEAR2 and Fallout3 (to name a few), whereas PC gamers had the opportunity to enjoy System Shock 2, FEAR1 and Fallout 1-2. All the prequels were way better (not talking about consolitus) and i don't care for the reasons but they were dumbed down (again this is not about consolitus). And i don't think that i have to remind anyone how much better the original Deus Ex was... right?

Though i did enjoy Fallout3 (even though it wasn't the classic Fallout, still it was great IMO), i do enjoy the MP of GRAW2, i enjoy Crysis, i enjoyed Doom3 (it needed almost a freakin year to be recognized by some here that were first saying that it sucked balls) and so on.

And no. I preffer Deus Ex 1. I prefer System Shock 2. I prefer FEAR 1. Because they were BETTER games. And i will be excited IF some new games have the same quality as those. But i can't pretend to be just to show that PC gamers enjoy the games

PS: Oh and look at Capcom's games. Most PC gamers are excited about them because they are great, their ports are soooooo good and it was only natural for them (given the excitement) to develop a PC version of RE5, the game that a lot of us waited patiently
JohnDio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-09, 07:14 AM   #53
Ancient76
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDio View Post
You know what the main problem is? That PC gamers had even more excitement when the prequels of most games were released. Consoles gamers are adoring Bioshock, FEAR2 and Fallout3 (to name a few), whereas PC gamers had the opportunity to enjoy System Shock 2, FEAR1 and Fallout 1-2. All the prequels were way better (not talking about consolitus) and i don't care for the reasons but they were dumbed down (again this is not about consolitus). And i don't think that i have to remind anyone how much better the original Deus Ex was... right?

Though i did enjoy Fallout3 (even though it wasn't the classic Fallout, still it was great IMO), i do enjoy the MP of GRAW2, i enjoy Crysis, i enjoyed Doom3 (it needed almost a freakin year to be recognized by some here that were first saying that it sucked balls) and so on.

And no. I preffer Deus Ex 1. I prefer System Shock 2. I prefer FEAR 1. Because they were BETTER games. And i will be excited IF some new games have the same quality as those. But i can't pretend to be just to show that PC gamers enjoy the games

PS: Oh and look at Capcom's games. Most PC gamers are excited about them because they are great, their ports are soooooo good and it was only natural for them (given the excitement) to develop a PC version of RE5, the game that a lot of us waited patiently
Well said!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Core 2 Duo E8400 4.2GHz / Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu
Asus P5Q Pro
Kingston DDR2 / 2x2GB
MSI 5850 Twin Frozr II
ASUS 22" VW220T
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA II
Corsair HX620W
Sharkoon Rebel 9
Ancient76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-09, 08:36 AM   #54
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buio View Post
One common reason for people to stick with Windows and not use other OS is games. Seems MS is so sure about that now, as they got it locked with DX, they think they don't need to bother doing anything else themselves. I sure hope it backfires somehow.
Gaming is my ONLY reason for sticking with Windows.
Old 05-16-09, 11:50 AM   #55
Phyxion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buio View Post
In IGN's early predictions for 2009
http://pc.ign.com/articles/982/982434p1.html

They just state what is known, but well at least they say it. Microsoft is only interested in games on the XBox 360. Sure they develop DX11 and Windows. But at the same time they shut down their studios that made some classical big PC games. Basically they say "here is DX11 and Windows 7 which is awesome for games on PC" while themselves only developing for XBox 360 because they think that's where all the money is.
Dear God, not another of these kind of posts. I think PC is doing fine at the moment, it's getting better since like a year ago and most games do make it to the PC, even some exclusives. No, it ain't bad.
Old 05-16-09, 01:20 PM   #56
fizzelopeguss

I agree pc gaming is fine currently, the ports as a whole are better than ever, usually multiplatforms are now superior on the pc. As for exclusives i've always believed the chip manufacturers are gonna have to sink more money into game development if they want to sell their top end, expensive hardware.
fizzelopeguss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-09, 01:42 PM   #57
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
And no. I preffer Deus Ex 1. I prefer System Shock 2. I prefer FEAR 1. Because they were BETTER games.
You picked some good examples, but on the whole when people say "old games were better" it's often nostalgia talking, like when I insisted Quantum Leap was a great show a couple years ago, only to see the DVDs and realize it was terrible.

It's always good to judge a game based on its own merits as well, rather than holding it up to a previous one. FEAR 2 on its own is a really great shooter... Bioshock on its own is a really great shooter with some RPG elements... even Deus Ex: IW is a pretty good game, once you get past how not Deus Ex it is.

I guess my point can be summed up as "PC gamers focus more on what a game is not than what it is," which is the essence of pessimism.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-09, 01:56 PM   #58
delas52
:::::::::::::::::

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzelopeguss View Post
I agree pc gaming is fine currently, the ports as a whole are better than ever, usually multiplatforms are now superior on the pc. As for exclusives i've always believed the chip manufacturers are gonna have to sink more money into game development if they want to sell their top end, expensive hardware.
i agree, as long as this trend continues i can accept multiplatform games.
delas52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-09, 02:24 PM   #59
fizzelopeguss

Quote:
FEAR 1. Because they were BETTER
FEAR is weird, the gunplay is superior in fear 1, but the level design is pretty terrible, fear 2 on the other hand is the complete opposite, it had much better levels. FEAR 2 was an enjoyable game though i thought, and the pc version ran flawlessly for me.
fizzelopeguss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-09, 04:08 PM   #60
Buio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxion View Post
Dear God, not another of these kind of posts. I think PC is doing fine at the moment, it's getting better since like a year ago and most games do make it to the PC, even some exclusives. No, it ain't bad.
Halleluja!

You are totally missing the point. It is not about PC gaming is fine or not. It is only about the fact that Microsoft do not believe in their own product.
Buio is offline   Reply With Quote