Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-17-09, 09:46 AM   #13
Zhivago
*BANNED*

Default Re: Visual Studio 2008 & .NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by LydianKnight View Post
Did you read the book well?

As a personal advice, don't go with C++ directly, instead go to C first, learn the basics, how to declare variables, operators, pointers, structures, functions, and when you're proficient enough with it (we all started doing printf's before being able to develop something bigger), learn about C++, methods, attributes, classes, just step by step

(but it's just an advice)
Sorry, but learning C before C++ when you don't know either is *bad* advice, and highly recommended against by both the creator of C++ and the C++ FAQ (Parashift).
C++ is *not* a "better C" but is instead a whole different language with a completely different paradigm. Also, standard C++ has no notion of methods, maybe you were thinking of Java.
Zhivago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-09, 12:10 PM   #14
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Exclamation Re: Visual Studio 2008 & .NET

Quote:
Sorry, but learning C before C++ when you don't know either is *bad* advice
I don't agree with you, any language can be learned from the ground up if you're able to understand its principles. C was the first language I learned and I didn't had any problem working with it.

Quote:
C++ is *not* a "better C" but is instead a whole different language
Haven't said C++ is a better C, but it's not a whole different language per se, it's more like an extension to C, and remember variables, macros, defines, operators and structures are the same from C to C++ (the latter adds OOP-related practices, ok... but the basics remains the same).

Quote:
Also, standard C++ has no notion of methods, maybe you were thinking of Java.
No, I was explicitly thinking on C++ when I talked about a method...

Don't take me wrong with this answer but... didn't anyone told you variables and functions inside a class are respectively called 'attributes' and 'methods'?

Looks like a weird statement for me, to be honest, although no offense intended
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-09, 05:58 PM   #15
Zhivago
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LydianKnight View Post
I don't agree with you, any language can be learned from the ground up if you're able to understand its principles. C was the first language I learned and I didn't had any problem working with it.

Haven't said C++ is a better C, but it's not a whole different language per se, it's more like an extension to C, and remember variables, macros, defines, operators and structures are the same from C to C++ (the latter adds OOP-related practices, ok... but the basics remains the same).

No, I was explicitly thinking on C++ when I talked about a method...

Don't take me wrong with this answer but... didn't anyone told you variables and functions inside a class are respectively called 'attributes' and 'methods'?

Looks like a weird statement for me, to be honest, although no offense intended
C++ *is* an entirely new and different language, and the creator of C++ says as much. It is *not* a super set of C, nor is it C with extensions. No doubt C influenced C++, much as how C++ might have influenced Java, but so what? Languages very often are influenced by previous others.

The C++ ISO standard does not use the term "method" - what you describe is called a "member function." Remember, the C++ standard (a document, basically) is the authoritative source for C++, not the misinformed people who were babbling on to you using incorrect terminology.
Old 05-18-09, 08:09 AM   #16
Phyxion

I don't recommend to start with C++. You'd learn better programming if you start with C#. Delphi is also a decent start but requires a bit more work.
Old 05-18-09, 06:06 PM   #17
hell_of_doom227

I like VB.Net, In VB under VS2008 you can do things you can't with C#. Some things are also much simpler.
System: eVGA x58SLI x16 4Way Classified, Intel Six Core i7 X980@4.00Ghz, 6Gb GSkill DDR3-1600, Tri Crossfire 3xATI Radeon 5870 1Gb, Raid1 - 2xSSD Intel 80Gb X-25M, Raid0 - 2xHDD Samsung 2Tb, Raid1 - 2xHDD Samsung 1Tb, LG Blue-Ray/HD-DVD Player, Silverstone 1100W PSU, Intel Stock Cooler (New One), Thermaltake Xaser VI, LG 27" LCD, Logitech Keyboard G15, G5 Logitech Mouse

35708 - 3DMark Vantage
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=2109601
hell_of_doom227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-09, 06:31 PM   #18
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxion View Post
I don't recommend to start with C++. You'd learn better programming if you start with C#. Delphi is also a decent start but requires a bit more work.
I learnt with C++ ::
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-09, 10:03 PM   #19
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhivago View Post
C++ *is* an entirely new and different language, and the creator of C++ says as much. It is *not* a super set of C, nor is it C with extensions. No doubt C influenced C++, much as how C++ might have influenced Java, but so what? Languages very often are influenced by previous others.

The C++ ISO standard does not use the term "method" - what you describe is called a "member function." Remember, the C++ standard (a document, basically) is the authoritative source for C++, not the misinformed people who were babbling on to you using incorrect terminology.
you seem to be caught up on the details an awful lot there when most people who touch code will not care about slight terminology differences (you obviously don't agree, but we are not taking a test here.)

All the basics of programming that need to be learned before you start playing with the power tools can be done in C, or C++. Once you get the basics its not hard to apply them elsewhere.
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling
thor1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-09, 10:05 PM   #20
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
I think most people did. It makes you do more by yourself to make you appreciate all the giveme's in frameworks like JAVA's and .NET's.
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling

Old 05-19-09, 10:07 PM   #21
Zhivago
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor1182 View Post
you seem to be caught up on the details an awful lot there when most people who touch code will not care about slight terminology differences (you obviously don't agree, but we are not taking a test here.)

All the basics of programming that need to be learned before you start playing with the power tools can be done in C, or C++. Once you get the basics its not hard to apply them elsewhere.
My comments were directed at you, my friend, not some beginner.
Being a good software developer means you are good at being precise. Really, you may think I am being pedantic here, but a sloppy programmer can be just as dangerous as a sloppy civil engineer or a sloppy surgeon.
Old 05-20-09, 07:21 AM   #22
Phyxion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_of_doom227 View Post
I like VB.Net, In VB under VS2008 you can do things you can't with C#. Some things are also much simpler.
VB is crap, you hardly call that programming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
There is nothing to be sad about, I too like C/C++/Delphi but to learn programming it's easier to start these days with C#. It's not super hard to learn pointers and memory management later but if you start and you also have to learn that it ain't all that easy.
Old 05-20-09, 07:45 AM   #23
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Quote:
Ok, obviously we have a big difference in our opinions, but let me clarify a bit my situation for you:

Here in Spain (where I live and work) if you're going to get a government job or a job for a public institution like the health sector or even for the military, obviously they require you to have a deep understanding of the programming language you're going to use for them, because they enforce very strict regulations for some criteria like usability (if you're designing UIs), interoperability, easy-to-read code, well-established documentation, and some other factors.

I agree with you a good software developer is good at being precise, but that doesn't necessarily mean being good at being strict with your definitions, even this can be somewhat contradictory at some levels, but anyway...

I have never taken such jobs, I mainly do software development for small companies, the kind of company wants you to code a custom-made stock control application, accounting and a bit of access control, plus reporting and printing bills, and up to date, I haven't received any single negative review about my coding style, that's why I'm not that concerned about precision on the definitions.

Can I be precise on them? Yes... Do I really have (right now) any practical reason for me to follow a strict path on definitions? No...

Peace
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-09, 09:34 AM   #24
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor1182 View Post

I don't disagree with you on the concepts, are very important... its just I would rather keep how to use the concepts stored in my limited memory space than the definitions to what I am doing. How to correctly describe what I am asking/talking about helps me be more productive when talking to other devs or in my google searches, but not always.