Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-22-09, 01:36 PM   #37
Stephen Warren

Default Re: 8200 (IGP) based motherboards not suitable for VDPAU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder77 View Post
@ AaronP, Stephen Warren:
Is there something known regarding the 8200 as there seem to be many people having problems with the 8200?
I'm not personally aware of any specific issue with the 8200. However, a number of people have mentioned performance issues with the 8200. I don't know if this is a bug (it isn't meeting its design goals), or whether it's simply designed to be that much lower performance than other solutions. I'll try and look into it.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-09, 04:17 AM   #38
mulder77

Quote:
Originally Posted by motd2k View Post
there is a diff here, however its terribly hacky and so isnt included on SVN. A fix to make this unnecessary on the 8200s would be very warmly welcomed.

http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46783&page=14
Hmm, I updated to the latest revision yesterday evening and the patch won't apply.
Do you know up to which revision this patch is know to apply successfully?

Markus
mulder77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-09, 08:15 AM   #39
patstew

IGP motherboards won't work as fast if you let your cpu frequency go down to 1Ghz on AMD machines because it also reduces the memory bandwidth, which can prevent VDPAU from working properly. The cpu frequency governor only relies on cpu usage, it ignores saturation of the memory bandwidth, so it sees no reason to up the frequency to 1.8GHz+ (which has the same memory bandwidth as at full speed). If you are running cpufrequtils, the solution is to add min_freq="1.8GHz" to /etc/conf.d/cpufreq (at least in arch linux). You can also set the minimum speed through /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq (at least I think you can). Dual channel memory also helps with the memory bandwidth. IGPs have this issue more than discrete cards as discrete cards generally have very high memory bandwidth by comparison to the cpu->system ram bandwidth. I'm not sure whether the HT multiplier is reduced at 1GHz cpu, or if it's just that having cpu speed the same as HT speed reduces the bandwidth available (though that wouldn't really make much sense to me).

See the bottom of http://apps.sourceforge.net/trac/archvdr/wiki/ArchVDR or http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...v/users/376540 for where I got this from
patstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-09, 08:57 AM   #40
mulder77

Quote:
Originally Posted by patstew View Post
IGP motherboards won't work as fast if you let your cpu frequency go down to 1Ghz on AMD machines because it also reduces the memory bandwidth, which can prevent VDPAU from working properly. The cpu frequency governor only relies on cpu usage, it ignores saturation of the memory bandwidth, so it sees no reason to up the frequency to 1.8GHz+ (which has the same memory bandwidth as at full speed). If you are running cpufrequtils, the solution is to add min_freq="1.8GHz" to /etc/conf.d/cpufreq (at least in arch linux). You can also set the minimum speed through /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq (at least I think you can). Dual channel memory also helps with the memory bandwidth. IGPs have this issue more than discrete cards as discrete cards generally have very high memory bandwidth by comparison to the cpu->system ram bandwidth. I'm not sure whether the HT multiplier is reduced at 1GHz cpu, or if it's just that having cpu speed the same as HT speed reduces the bandwidth available (though that wouldn't really make much sense to me).

See the bottom of http://apps.sourceforge.net/trac/archvdr/wiki/ArchVDR or http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...v/users/376540 for where I got this from
Thank you for your detailed answer.

What I did before is that I set the minimal frequency to 1.8GHz.
I checked that with "cat /proc/cpuinfo".

But then, playbay was only smooth when there was CPU usage by another application.
When clocked at 1.8 (or 2.6) GHz and the CPU being idle, playback wouldn't be smooth.

Your description wouldn't explain, why other AMD based systems with a 8300 IGP will work smoothly, clocked at 1 GHz and the CPU being idle.

But thanks anyway. I am sure your explanation is the best approach so far.

To make a long story short: Yesterday I switched to an Asus P5N7A-VM (9300 IGP) and an E5200 DC Pentium.

CPU keeps being clocked at 1.2 GHz, playback is totally smooth and in sync.
The other system now is being used for something else...

Thanks to all who helped trying to fix this thing.
Markus
mulder77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-09, 10:41 AM   #41
magho

Well, I had the same problems and bought a 9400 IGP board just to get rid of the problems. I now have two useless 8200 systems in my drawer.... Which is a pity.
/Magnus
magho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-09, 01:14 PM   #42
Stephen Warren

I just wanted to note that NVIDIA is aware of the VDPAU/PowerMizer interaction issues on some boards (i.e. the problem where VDPAU is slow unless glxgears is run, thus kicking up the GPU performance level) . We are working on fixing this, and making good progress. A fix should be released in a future 185.xx driver, although it's too early to say exactly which one yet.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote