Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-16-03, 09:33 AM   #13
Forge
X to the 64th power

Delete your Linux primary partitions and make an extended partition. You can make as many logical partitions as you need, inside that. All my Linux installs are in extended partitions, even on Windows-less machines.

Glad to hear NvAGP got you fixed up.

Re: NvAGP and Mandrake. It's not a Mandrake-only problem, it's a problem with the management at Nvidia. They are downright paranoid about realeasing ANY specs, docs, or code, so it took many months of begging and pleading to get the framework needed to get NF/NF2 working in kernel AGPGART. Nvidia kept saying 'it works with NvAGP, STFU and go away', apparently totally oblivious to the fact that an ever-growing group of people DON'T use Nvidia cards! Shocker!

Anyways, Nvidia finally gave in and released the stuff needed to get NF2 and AGPGART working just a month or three back. It's now in the kernel, but the distributions out there aren't using the newest version of the kernel, so you'll have to wait a release or two, till everyone gets a 2.4.21+ kernel on their default install. Then NF/NF2+AGPGART works just fine.
Forge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-03, 10:54 AM   #14
dalek

Post It figures

I knew NVIDIA was holding back I actually signed a petition for the release the other day. I hope it helps.

What gets me is I bought as much NVIDIA as I could because the support was supposed to be the best, at least better than ATI etc. I have NVIDIA on my video card and the mobo chipset. I figured the best of all worlds that way. Guess they are coming around.

Working out the last bit of my Gentoo install. Got to the bootloader and chickened out. Getting a bit of info and diving back in.

Thanks dude.

Oh. I did all mine as logical partitions and it liked it.
LG GCE-8520B CD R/W & a Generic 40X reader || Maxtor 30Gb Hard Drive
Gateway EV910 19" Monitor || HP Deskjet 3820 printer
Cyberpower 1250AVR UPS || Actiontec External Serial Modem
dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-03, 09:38 PM   #15
Forge
X to the 64th power

Nvidia have some of the best Linux graphics card support around, ATM, but their chipset support is just garbage, in every OS. You should go read some of the incredible piles of BS folks like Alex V.K. (Motherboard Monitor developer) had to go through to get even basic info on NF2.

ATI is catching up fast on the Linux side of things, though. They've gone from junk to a very usable driver already, and my NDA should show up soon for the Catalyst Linux betas. They ought to go a long way to dethroning NV in Linux, I'm looking forward to a possible R420 around Xmas time. We even have the new ATI Linux project lead on IRC some times.

While I'd recommend NV cards to Linux people, still, I wouldn't recommend NV mobos. They're just too much trouble, still.... The NV NIC is supported only by a binary, which will never be in a default kernel, and needs constant patching and updating to stay usable... The sound is *barely* working.. 2.0 and analog output isn't too hard, but 5.1 and digital output are a lot of work, and we'll never get Dolby Digital... Not ever... The chipset isn't fully supported, even now, more than a year after it's release... I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, though it's still just about the best K7 chipset around.

Glad to hear logical partitions worked out for ya. I always use them, since you can always put in more.

Anyways, next time you need a new mobo, go AMD or Intel chipset. Via's too unstable, SiS has issues with opening specs, ALi just sucks, but AMD and Intel both open their specs in a wonderful way. My i875P board is supported perfectly, mere months after it's release, and my NF2 will probably need another year to hammer out the last few ACPI/APIC/NIC/AGP bugs... No bariner, IMO.

Luck, and welcome to the Gentoo fold. I've been Gentooing since 0.9 and still loving it.
Vargr Prime: AMD Opteron 280 *2 | 4096MB Corsair Value reg/ECC | GeForce 7950GX2 | Dual WD Raptor 74GB | Dual Seagate 320GB 7200.10 | Samsung/TSST 18X DVDRW | Chaintech AV-710 | Thermaltake Armor 8000 | PCP&C Turbo-Cool 1KW | Supermicro H8DCE v3.1 | Logitech X-530 5.1 speakers
Old 09-17-03, 12:32 AM   #16
dalek

Post I'm starting to notice that

I wonder if I should switch brands of mobo and then send the info to NVIDIA. Let them see they are loosing their customers. Maybe they will stop sitting on the specs so people can help make it work.

It really does tick me about the situation. I'm pretty disappointed in them. Sounds like a Bill Gates wantabe. They might want to think about the fact that Linux users usually don't like windoze. Hmmmm. Catching on NVIDIA. Better start getting with it. ATI may catch up and pass you.

I feel a rant coming on. Better go.

Old 09-17-03, 12:38 AM   #17
dalek

Question Oh, forgot to ask

Did you have any trouble installing the CPU heatsink on your mobo? I read it won't fit on mine because of some caps that are around the socket. Curious, I would like to put one on mine. Might get one if I switch mobo's.

Now to get some help with bootloader. Got everything done and can't get lilo to update. Where's my hammer?

Old 09-17-03, 08:06 PM   #18
_tf_
scriptfoo warrior

agpgart/nvagp...
anyone knows which one is faster?
have searched the web but cant find info on this.
maybe they are the same speed?

lars
_tf_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-03, 07:27 PM   #19
Forge
X to the 64th power

dalek - No, no problems, per se, though the SLK-900U hangs down quite a bit and makes rather firm contact with one of the capacitors below my CPU socket. The previous Swiftech and a friend's Swiftech have no problems at all with our A7N8X and NF7-S 2.0, respectively.

_tf_ - There is no one answer. On some machines, NvAGP is faster. On other chipsets, AGPGART is faster. On some chipsets, NvAGP is unstable. On other chipsets, NvAGP is the only way to get AGP stabilized.

Use one. Use the other. Take notes, find your own answers, and try to give this answer to anyone else that asks you such an impressively subjective and thus irrelevant question.
Vargr Prime: AMD Opteron 280 *2 | 4096MB Corsair Value reg/ECC | GeForce 7950GX2 | Dual WD Raptor 74GB | Dual Seagate 320GB 7200.10 | Samsung/TSST 18X DVDRW | Chaintech AV-710 | Thermaltake Armor 8000 | PCP&C Turbo-Cool 1KW | Supermicro H8DCE v3.1 | Logitech X-530 5.1 speakers
Old 09-21-03, 05:22 PM   #20
_tf_
scriptfoo warrior

heh thanks

guess im a lucky one because nvagp
and agpgart works both fine for me without crashing on rh rawhide kernel 2.6

lars
_tf_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-03, 12:40 PM   #21
boeckelr

This is for Forge or dalek or anyone else who can help.

I have an EPox 86da+ - NF2 mobo and a GF4 4400 card. Using RH9 and kernel 2.4.20-8.

I am new to Linux, but am learning my way around.

But I have been having trouble trying to patch the kernel, and also installing the video drivers.

Here is what I did:

-Installed RH9.

-Used the tar file to install the nforce drivers. The RPM wouldnt work. Anyway after doing this the NIC worked fine.

-At this point I tried to use the agpgart patch. Everything appeared to be fine. But when I tried to compile it - i.e. make zdisk or make zImage, I got an error.

So I gave up on that.

Next I tried to install the video drivers.

Shut down X, modified XF86config file like I was supposed to, restarted X......and got a screen with some weird colors and letters, with a hard lockup.

What sequence should I use to install these drivers? nforce first? or GF4 first?

And what is NvAGP? How do I use that? I am thinking that agpgart was the problem for me.

Sorry for such newbie questions, but doing this is a great way to learn how to use Linux.

Mike
boeckelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-03, 04:12 PM   #22
dalek

Default Here's a how to

I wrote this a while back. It may help. No promises.

http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showt...readid=108859&

It should help get them installed anyway. If there is a hardware problem it may still not work.

Make sure you have plug n play OS disabled in your BIOS. That leads to trouble in some systems.

Any advise from someone else??

Old 09-23-03, 08:50 PM   #23
boeckelr

dalek -

thanks for your help! i just printed your instructions out and am going to give it a try.

since you have an nforce2 motherboard like i do, i was wondering if you could tell me about nvagp and how you switched from agpgart?

is it done by disabling agpgart first and recompiling the kernel? i just dont recall seeing nvagp anywhere when i ran xconfig.

thanks,
mike
boeckelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-03, 09:28 PM   #24
dalek

Post Here's a link

This is a link to the thread where I got help. I didn't know about this forum at the time. It has been stable since.

http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showt...hreadid=110856

Truthfully, I have no clue whether it is using agpgart or not. I did remove something from the kernel though, APIC or ACPI can't remember which. Actually, I have had to reinstall since then and it has been stable. I'm sure it put that back. I did disable it in Lilo though. You can do that through the Mandrake Control Center then boot then configure. Just uncheck the box. Grub has something similiar.

Note, the problem that I was having was after several days without a restart. Sometimes it would go for a week or more and then die.

I recommend that you look into your Mandrake Control Center under System and LogDrake for errors after you install. The way I usually do is to boot after midnight then select today only on the right. You can have one heck of a wait if you do the whole thing. It parses 4 to 5 weeks of log. Good CPU burn in test though.

I hope this helps. Post back if not. I still got the read me from NVIDIA.