Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Software Development

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-20-09, 10:55 AM   #25
hell_of_doom227
Registered User
 
hell_of_doom227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,387
Default Re: Visual Studio 2008 & .NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxion View Post
VB is crap, you hardly call that programming.


There is nothing to be sad about, I too like C/C++/Delphi but to learn programming it's easier to start these days with C#. It's not super hard to learn pointers and memory management later but if you start and you also have to learn that it ain't all that easy.
It's programming, cause it's programming language. Makes me believe that you actually don't know programming. VB in VB.NET is at version 9 and i can tell you that C# is not any better.
__________________
System: eVGA x58SLI x16 4Way Classified, Intel Six Core i7 X980@4.00Ghz, 6Gb GSkill DDR3-1600, Tri Crossfire 3xATI Radeon 5870 1Gb, Raid1 - 2xSSD Intel 80Gb X-25M, Raid0 - 2xHDD Samsung 2Tb, Raid1 - 2xHDD Samsung 1Tb, LG Blue-Ray/HD-DVD Player, Silverstone 1100W PSU, Intel Stock Cooler (New One), Thermaltake Xaser VI, LG 27" LCD, Logitech Keyboard G15, G5 Logitech Mouse
OS: Windows 7 x64

35708 - 3DMark Vantage
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=2109601
hell_of_doom227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-09, 03:23 PM   #26
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?
 
thor1182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Indy, IN
Posts: 812
Default Re: Visual Studio 2008 & .NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_of_doom227 View Post
It's programming, cause it's programming language. Makes me believe that you actually don't know programming. VB in VB.NET is at version 9 and i can tell you that C# is not any better.
VB.NET does not have lamda expressions in it, where C# does. Without lamdas, LINQ losses a lot of its power and compactedness.

Its syntax is also clunky and often backwards and inconsistent across the language compared to other languages. Ternary(sp? (string1 == null)? "blank" : string1 operations are messy compared to whats in C#.

Most of the time they will compile down to the same in the CLR, but sometimes VB aps will have additional VB6 libraries loaded to cover some of the VB functionality where C# won't.

Mostly C# vs VB.NET is a religious thing amongst .NET devs, but C# syntax will be more transferable to other languages than VB will.
__________________
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling
thor1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-09, 10:22 PM   #27
hemmy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kansas
Posts: 760
Default Re: Visual Studio 2008 & .NET

Every day I go to work and program in C++ in Borland C++ Builder 6.0

It sucks, bad. Visual Studio puts it to shame, but that is what the eldest employees started with (in Delphi, Pascal) so that is what we use
__________________
P6T Deluxe V2 ||| Core i7 920 D0 4.0Ghz||| 3x2Gb DDR3-1800 ||| 2x EVGA GTX 260 SLI ||| Corsair HX850w ||| 2x640gb HD
hemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-09, 11:21 AM   #28
hell_of_doom227
Registered User
 
hell_of_doom227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,387
Default Re: Visual Studio 2008 & .NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor1182 View Post
VB.NET does not have lamda expressions in it, where C# does. Without lamdas, LINQ losses a lot of its power and compactedness.

Its syntax is also clunky and often backwards and inconsistent across the language compared to other languages. Ternary(sp? (string1 == null)? "blank" : string1 operations are messy compared to whats in C#.

Most of the time they will compile down to the same in the CLR, but sometimes VB aps will have additional VB6 libraries loaded to cover some of the VB functionality where C# won't.

Mostly C# vs VB.NET is a religious thing amongst .NET devs, but C# syntax will be more transferable to other languages than VB will.
Actually it does have. I think you need to do research too. Btw you can do LINQ without lamdas with the same efficiency. Infact you don't need lamdas at all. How do i know that it runs fast? Cause i do loadtesting on enormous number of users and i can tell you that average time is less then 0.300s per transaction.

Speaking of which. Do you think it's more efficient to use GridView or custom written html renderer to render appropriate table?

I am not saying C# is worse then VB. Using C#.Net or VB.Net = same ****.
__________________
System: eVGA x58SLI x16 4Way Classified, Intel Six Core i7 X980@4.00Ghz, 6Gb GSkill DDR3-1600, Tri Crossfire 3xATI Radeon 5870 1Gb, Raid1 - 2xSSD Intel 80Gb X-25M, Raid0 - 2xHDD Samsung 2Tb, Raid1 - 2xHDD Samsung 1Tb, LG Blue-Ray/HD-DVD Player, Silverstone 1100W PSU, Intel Stock Cooler (New One), Thermaltake Xaser VI, LG 27" LCD, Logitech Keyboard G15, G5 Logitech Mouse
OS: Windows 7 x64

35708 - 3DMark Vantage
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=2109601
hell_of_doom227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-09, 05:26 PM   #29
yehuda
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 97
Default Re: Visual Studio 2008 & .NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_of_doom227 View Post
Actually it does have. I think you need to do research too. Btw you can do LINQ without lamdas with the same efficiency. Infact you don't need lamdas at all. How do i know that it runs fast? Cause i do loadtesting on enormous number of users and i can tell you that average time is less then 0.300s per transaction.

Speaking of which. Do you think it's more efficient to use GridView or custom written html renderer to render appropriate table?

I am not saying C# is worse then VB. Using C#.Net or VB.Net = same ****.
VB supports Lambda expressions, but not lambda statements.
Lambdas are not only LINQ related, but they go a long way in making your code more readable instead of using delegates (which VB kind of misses with how it forces you to use Function()).

IMO the differences between C# and VB are small, but I just like the way C# is written.
Some VB features are quite nice, like XML literals.

About the grid, we have Telerik's components which I really like, but for other projects I usualy use the default grid.
yehuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-09, 08:15 AM   #30
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?
 
thor1182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Indy, IN
Posts: 812
Default Re: Visual Studio 2008 & .NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_of_doom227 View Post
Speaking of which. Do you think it's more efficient to use GridView or custom written html renderer to render appropriate table?
A lot of the built in .NET controls while easy to use put out crap HTML. Even with that they still are good at what they do.

The telerik controls are both nice and crap. For the most part they are really easy to work with and have more power than the standard ones, but you often sacrifice html and css control when you use them. The Rad editor is a Godsend for my line of work though.
__________________
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling
thor1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-09, 09:02 AM   #31
hell_of_doom227
Registered User
 
hell_of_doom227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,387
Default Re: Visual Studio 2008 & .NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor1182 View Post
A lot of the built in .NET controls while easy to use put out crap HTML. Even with that they still are good at what they do.

The telerik controls are both nice and crap. For the most part they are really easy to work with and have more power than the standard ones, but you often sacrifice html and css control when you use them. The Rad editor is a Godsend for my line of work though.
I agree. They really put sometimes some crappy html. I wrote my own HTML Renderer, and i can render anything in run time on page based on conditions and data i am getting. I don't use gridview and repeaters. I heard telerik controls are good, but you have to pay for those right?
__________________
System: eVGA x58SLI x16 4Way Classified, Intel Six Core i7 X980@4.00Ghz, 6Gb GSkill DDR3-1600, Tri Crossfire 3xATI Radeon 5870 1Gb, Raid1 - 2xSSD Intel 80Gb X-25M, Raid0 - 2xHDD Samsung 2Tb, Raid1 - 2xHDD Samsung 1Tb, LG Blue-Ray/HD-DVD Player, Silverstone 1100W PSU, Intel Stock Cooler (New One), Thermaltake Xaser VI, LG 27" LCD, Logitech Keyboard G15, G5 Logitech Mouse
OS: Windows 7 x64

35708 - 3DMark Vantage
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=2109601
hell_of_doom227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NVIDIA Maximus Fires Up Visual Effects In Men in Black 3 News Archived News Items 0 06-26-12 06:00 PM
A Second Studio Of Ex-STALKER Devs Appears News Archived News Items 0 06-04-12 06:10 AM
Rumour: Ex-STALKER devs form Union Studio, developing Fallout/Rage inspired shooter News Archived News Items 0 06-01-12 12:10 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.