Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-25-09, 09:16 PM   #1
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.
 
jAkUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chino, California
Posts: 17,744
Default Interesting Sweeney Interview - Comment on Crysis

Long 10 page interview with Sweeney, check out his comments on CryEngine:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur...uture_tim_.php

Quote:
Does it scare you when you see Crysis... or, I don't know. What's the biggest competitor in the game engine market? Is it id's stuff, or is it another company?

TS: Today, it's Crysis. Because Crysis is doing some things on high-end PCs that we're not doing ourselves. That's a tricky case though, because we could do vastly more than we're currently doing if we focused on supporting dual high-end video cards, which have about 10 times the graphics horsepower of a console today.

The thing is, that market is about 2% the size of the overall next-generation game market -- PS3, Xbox 360, and mainstream PC. So there's a real hard business decision: if you go the route that Crytek goes, you can beat us in certain areas in graphics, but you're really sacrificing the larger market.

Because you can't run that engine on the PS3 and that sort of thing.

TS: Yeah. And some of the things they're doing are just conceptually incompatible with that level of performance. Wherever you have an order of magnitude performance difference, you can't really scale.

We can scale down in performance by a factor of three by going to a low resolution, dropping some textures, and things like that. But to scale by a factor of 10 -- you can't design a game with 10 times the detail and then scale it back to something that looks decent on the consoles. You'd end up looking much worse than a console game that was just designed for the console specs. So they have real scalability difficulties there.
__________________
965xe || evga x58 classified || 3x evga gtx 480 || 6gb g.skill || win7 x64
jAkUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-09, 09:53 PM   #2
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH
 
SH64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Indiana
Posts: 12,202
Default Re: Interesting Sweeney Interview - Comment on Crysis

Makes sense. Its all about decision ... and i like Crytek's decision more than Epic's
__________________


- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-09, 10:05 PM   #3
methimpikehoses
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Interesting Sweeney Interview - Comment on Crysis

Crytek needs to give us a new expansion that isn't just jungle battles.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-09, 12:55 AM   #4
Noriega
你妈妈喜欢的阴茎
 
Noriega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: 波兰
Posts: 2,176
Default Re: Interesting Sweeney Interview - Comment on Crysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH64 View Post
Makes sense. Its all about decision ... and i like Crytek's decision more than Epic's
Me too but sounds like Crytek is going to walk Epic way ;/
__________________
Noriega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-09, 01:10 AM   #5
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me
 
NarcissistZero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 8,033
Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: Interesting Sweeney Interview - Comment on Crysis

There's no money in PC exclusives anymore... not with production costs what they are for AAA titles. There's a reason STALKER is being milked like crazy and Crytek is going to consoles... these companies need to make money.

That said, I disagree with his statement that you can't make something Crysis-level and then scale it back for console. You CAN do that, it's just time consuming, which is why few do it. There's no reason Fallout 3 couldn't have had even further detail levels and higher-res versions of the textures... the reason it did not was because that's a good deal of effort to go through for 2% of the audience... plus, if GTA4 and Crysis are anything to go by, providing super high-end settings like that just angers people who can't run the game on max.
__________________
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-09, 01:13 AM   #6
Noriega
你妈妈喜欢的阴茎
 
Noriega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: 波兰
Posts: 2,176
Default Re: Interesting Sweeney Interview - Comment on Crysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
There's no money in PC exclusives anymore... not with production costs what they are for AAA titles. There's a reason STALKER is being milked like crazy and Crytek is going to consoles... these companies need to make money.
hahaha you made me laugh. Crytek wrote about getting back Crysis production costs when they sold about 500 000 games. They also made some good money from engine. That is what one of Crytek's developer wrote on crymod forum. They sold more than 1 milion ages ago. You just belive this console hype propaganda and BS that on PC there is no money : (


Hahaha and yeah consoles have super cell power so you can make virtual earth... hey it's just thing of time.
__________________
Noriega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-09, 01:36 AM   #7
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH
 
SH64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Indiana
Posts: 12,202
Default Re: Interesting Sweeney Interview - Comment on Crysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
That said, I disagree with his statement that you can't make something Crysis-level and then scale it back for console. You CAN do that, it's just time consuming, which is why few do it.
Out of curiosity, do you know that by experience (i.e. you have programming background?).
Besides, we know that everything in this universe is possible to achieve but its time consuming duh!! do you think we can wait 8-10 years to play a decent game? (DNF anybody?) people are aiming to get the best in the shortest possible time rather than waiting for too long till the game gets outdated by the time of its release.
__________________


- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-09, 02:36 AM   #8
Sazar
Sayonara !!!
 
Sazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 9,297
Default Re: Interesting Sweeney Interview - Comment on Crysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by methimpikehoses View Post
Crytek needs to give us a new expansion that isn't just jungle battles.
You prefer fighting Korean sharks with friggin laser beams?



I dunno man. I found both Crysis and Warhead to have a lot of replayability because of the many ways you can tackle the levels. Speed running through them was AWESOME

Having a relatively open way to play makes games like World At War seem patently archaic.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-09, 04:21 AM   #9
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me
 
NarcissistZero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 8,033
Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: Interesting Sweeney Interview - Comment on Crysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH64 View Post
Out of curiosity, do you know that by experience (i.e. you have programming background?).
It's common sense... Crysis itself can be run on a damn old system on low settings... the Xbox has a great processor and a decent video card... it could run Crysis on medium probably, or low/medium, at 720p or near there. The key is that in order to make it look its best on console, then also provide a well optimized PC version, you need to spend more time catering to each platform's strength. The reason GTA4 got so much crap on PC was because it was built for consoles and not modified much for PC, which resulted in poorer performance than neccessary... the reverse would be true for Crysis, without significant time spent carering the engine to console architecture (which is exactly what they have done for Cryengine 3).

Quote:
hahaha you made me laugh. Crytek wrote about getting back Crysis production costs when they sold about 500 000 games. They also made some good money from engine. That is what one of Crytek's developer wrote on crymod forum. They sold more than 1 milion ages ago. You just belive this console hype propaganda and BS that on PC there is no money : (
I'm glad you found it funny... yes, Crysis made a profit and was PC only. That doesn't mean 5 million more sales is something they don't want.
__________________
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-09, 05:43 AM   #10
Noriega
你妈妈喜欢的阴茎
 
Noriega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: 波兰
Posts: 2,176
Default Re: Interesting Sweeney Interview - Comment on Crysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
It's common sense... Crysis itself can be run on a damn old system on low settings... the Xbox has a great processor and a decent video card... it could run Crysis on medium probably, or low/medium, at 720p or near there. The key is that in order to make it look its best on console, then also provide a well optimized PC version, you need to spend more time catering to each platform's strength. The reason GTA4 got so much crap on PC was because it was built for consoles and not modified much for PC, which resulted in poorer performance than neccessary... the reverse would be true for Crysis, without significant time spent carering the engine to console architecture (which is exactly what they have done for Cryengine 3).



I'm glad you found it funny... yes, Crysis made a profit and was PC only. That doesn't mean 5 million more sales is something they don't want.
Man this IS pointless. Making game for years and optimising it to be looking good with good performance mean costs. This just do not calculate.


Haha 5mln? Man 5mln on consoles sold ony FPS games with trade mark of Halo and Call of Duty, Crysis is new title you can't compare it to Halo and Call of Duty.
__________________
Noriega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-09, 09:55 AM   #11
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Re: Interesting Sweeney Interview - Comment on Crysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
That said, I disagree with his statement that you can't make something Crysis-level and then scale it back for console. You CAN do that, it's just time consuming, which is why few do it. There's no reason Fallout 3 couldn't have had even further detail levels and higher-res versions of the textures... the reason it did not was because that's a good deal of effort to go through for 2% of the audience... plus, if GTA4 and Crysis are anything to go by, providing super high-end settings like that just angers people who can't run the game on max.
that is what i don't agree on, simply start off with higher res textures from the start. higher res textures can help quite a lot.
__________________
Windows 8 the next big failure, right after Windows ME
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crysis 3 preview News Gaming Headlines 0 06-16-12 07:20 AM
Interesting comment on HardOCP Lezmaka Rumor Mill 5 08-21-02 03:05 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.