Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-29-09, 02:56 PM   #1
tmelhiser

Default VDPAU MythTV DeInterlacing Corruption

I have been fighting this problem several weeks. I have tried the 185.18.14 and 180.51 drivers. Both have the same issues.

The deinterlacers are leaving artifacts or corruption on the screen during HD playback. If I pause the mythTV and rewind it several minutes, then pause it again for a few seconds, the corruption will usually stop happening.

Different interlacers only change the stutter in playback or offset/delays in sound and video as the deinterlacer complexity increases, but the deinterlace errors/corruption/artifacts continue. Even setting the deinterlacer to None still produces the problem.

However, CPU usage is EXTREMELY low, which is great. The video streams being played by MythTV are 1440x1080i. Streams being played by mplayer at 1920x1080p have no issues and have very low CPU usage as well.

Regards,

-Travis
tmelhiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 06:31 PM   #2
Stephen Warren

Default Re: VDPAU MythTV DeInterlacing Corruption

If setting the deinterlacer to none doesn't solve the problem, what makes you think it's a deinterlacing issue?

Please post an nvidia-bug-report.

Are you running the latest 185.18.14 driver?

Does this happen on all files, or just some small subset? If just some small subset, please upload the file to the NVIDIA file drop (see VDPAU problem sticky) for analysis.

Thanks.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-09, 12:22 AM   #3
tmelhiser

I guess the reason I call it a deinterlacer problem is because the effect on the screen is a distinct interlace effect.

I have tried both 185.18.14 and 180.51. Honestly, 180.51 works much better. I suspect this is a MythTV issue. I have been thinking that I will try and play the media through mplayer which appears to not have any issues during playback of even the most stressful media.

I will try and send a portion of the media for you to review, but remember, the only place I see issues with this is when the internal mythtv player is displaying it. Mplayer displays no issues.

I will see if I can play it though mplayer and see what results I get along with posting a portion for you to review.

Regards,

-Travis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
If setting the deinterlacer to none doesn't solve the problem, what makes you think it's a deinterlacing issue?

Please post an nvidia-bug-report.

Are you running the latest 185.18.14 driver?

Does this happen on all files, or just some small subset? If just some small subset, please upload the file to the NVIDIA file drop (see VDPAU problem sticky) for analysis.

Thanks.
Old 05-30-09, 12:46 AM   #4
tmelhiser

Ok, I just finished playing the clip through mplayer.... well, mplayer didn't show any of the "deinterlacing" fragments I was describing earlier, but they audio sync is VERY far off but the video is very clear.

CPU utilization when playing the file is UNBELIEVABLY low... 1% but it looked as if it was in slow motion.

my mplayer options look as follows:

vo=vdpau,xv,
ao=alsa:device=hw=0.3
vc=ffmpeg12vdpau,ffwmv3vdpau,ffvc1vdpau,ffh264vdpa u,

I'll try and post a sample.

-Travis
Old 05-30-09, 03:15 AM   #5
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmelhiser View Post
mplayer didn't show any of the "deinterlacing" fragments I was describing earlier, but they audio sync is VERY far off
Did you try mplayer -mc 2 ?

Carl Eugen
cehoyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-09, 04:16 AM   #6
jyavenard
MythTV developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmelhiser View Post
Ok, I just finished playing the clip through mplayer.... well, mplayer didn't show any of the "deinterlacing" fragments I was describing earlier, but they audio sync is VERY far off but the video is very clear.
Is this H264 content and does it look like like "blockiness" appearing from time to time ?

I've noticed this issue in mythtv, and it doesn't occur in mplayer. It's a mythtv issue.

No idea what the reason could be, it was first thought it was due to the old ffmpeg version used by mythtv, but even after upgrading all the relevant part of ffmpeg, the issue is still there
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-09, 12:57 PM   #7
tmelhiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyavenard View Post
Is this H264 content and does it look like like "blockiness" appearing from time to time ?

I've noticed this issue in mythtv, and it doesn't occur in mplayer. It's a mythtv issue.

No idea what the reason could be, it was first thought it was due to the old ffmpeg version used by mythtv, but even after upgrading all the relevant part of ffmpeg, the issue is still there
Yes, it is h264 content. I guess it could be described as blockiness, but the pattern is very uniform. It is a definite weave/interlace pattern that typically happens over the top of the moving object. It does not have to be high motion action to cause it, just the most active portion of the screen.

By pausing and rewinding under mythtv, I can usually get it to settle down. Once it has settled, it does not occur any more during the time current media stream is being played back. But pausing/rewinding/fastforwarding can cause the situation to occur again.

-Travis
Old 06-02-09, 12:18 AM   #8
openmedia

I've got a sample here which I think shows the problem (warning 52MB file)

- http://www.mythtv.co.nz/video/12001_20090524120306.mpg

As the two tennis players cross the court the picture starts to show major artefacts under VDPAU and MythTV.

I've tested this under MythTV with the ffmpeg code without issue, and recent builds of mplayer don't have any issue with either VDPAU or ffmpeg based playback.

Under MythTV i've tried all of the various VDPAU interlacer options, including disabling the de-interlacer.

The video sample is an off air freeview|HD capture in 720p from NZ with H.264 video and HE-AACv2 audio.
openmedia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-09, 12:24 AM   #9
jyavenard
MythTV developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by openmedia View Post
I've got a sample here which I think shows the problem (warning 52MB file)

- http://www.mythtv.co.nz/video/12001_20090524120306.mpg
Yes, this is the problem I was referring to.
This problem is localised to MythTV and can't be reproduced in mplayer.

I doubt it has anything to do with the nvidia drivers
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote