Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-15-09, 02:19 PM   #13
mattty

Default Re: Projector Wall

Hrmm, last night I reimplemented my Xinerama setup on an Ubuntu 9.04 install. When I move cursors between screens, a ghost of the cursor sticks on the edge of the screen that it just left. Has anyone seen this before?
mattty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-09, 12:12 AM   #14
mattty

I noticed another strange regression today: the 180.44 produces a total white display if I try to use it with Xgl on Ubuntu 8.04.

I know this is probably an unsupported configuration, but still..

(It works fine with just Xinerama and no Composite, No Xgl)
Old 04-18-09, 09:09 AM   #15
JaXXoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattty View Post
I know this is probably an unsupported configuration, but still..
From the X-Server perspective, Xgl is just an OpenGL application,
so if it doesn't work as expected, then there's either a regression
in the driver (or Xorg) or something in Xgl sort of relied on some bug
in the driver (or Xorg) that has been fixed, now, so Xgl would need to
be fixed, too. Unfortunately, Xgl is not maintained any more.

regards

Bernhard
JaXXoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-09, 12:39 PM   #16
mattty

Do you have any idea how practical it might be to get Xgl to run on a newer X server?
Old 04-18-09, 02:14 PM   #17
JaXXoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattty View Post
Do you have any idea how practical it might be to get Xgl to run on a newer X server?
What do you mean by "practical"? For Multi-head/Multi-GPU Linux users, Xgl is
right now the only software solution that enables Compiz. Alternatively, it is
necessary to spend quite some money on Matrox TripleHead2Go video signal
splitter or to spend an enormous amount for an nvidia QuadroPlex box
(SLI Mosaic).

BTW.: Xephyr is now available with GLX support, so Xephyr should now basically
do what Xgl did, but i didn't yet tried it out.

regards

Bernhard
Old 04-18-09, 05:25 PM   #18
mattty

Oh cool. I tried Xephyr last week, but the one I tried was quite sluggish with Opengl -- looked like software rendering only.

I was hoping that maybe Xgl could run on a newer server without me having to change any code. I am just being lazy though.. I could test this myself.
Old 06-01-09, 08:40 AM   #19
mattty

I'm having a problem now.

I swear I had this all working, and then the hardware sat for a while and some of the videocards moved around.

Now I get this terrible smearing when I move windows between logical (or real) gpus. Strangely, it seems like if I have multiple cards in, the smearing only happens between REAL gpus. If I have a single card, then it happens with logical gpus.

I have things configured right now so that instead of Twinview, I use multiple X screens + Xinerama. This only happens with Xgl running, which may be the culprit -- but it seems awful strange that I did not notice weeks ago when I first set this up. I'm linking a video of it happening on an 8800 GTX. It also happens with single and multiple sets of 9800 GTs.

If I start a window manager on the display that Xgl draws to, I can kind of make the drawing weird out by moving the Xgl window. That may lend credence to the theory that it is Xgl. I still post here in case anyone knows one way or the other whether it is a bug with Nvidia or Xgl. I am using the 180.60 drivers right now.

Does anyone have any ideas for solving this which may stem from adjusting obscure nvidia-settings options? I am also wondering if maybe it is an issue with Damage. I have tried toggling Render, Composite, and Damage, to no avail.

My video is here.

This is for a school project, it is a big show stopper if I can't resolve this. I have one week
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (37.7 KB, 61 views)
Old 06-01-09, 08:55 AM   #20
mattty

Btw, the reason I require Compiz is because I have been working on a plugin which can correct for the overlaps over the projectors (you can see some of the overlap in the video above)

If I can't resolve this issue, I will have wasted a ton of time as well as my last quarter in school.

Old 06-01-09, 09:48 PM   #21
mattty

Bump.
Old 06-02-09, 05:53 AM   #22
JaXXoN

Hi!

I guess you already tried to reproduce your old working system?
(from there, you might then try to figure out what makes the difference,
but i'm pretty sure you already though about that).

BTW.: Is it strictly necessary to define separate screens per GPU?
In other words: can your compiz module work with twinview?

regards

Bernhard
Old 06-02-09, 06:30 AM   #23
mattty

Thanks for posting, Jaxxon,

I can do some Twinview if I want -- I'm using three 9800 GTs to get six video outputs. Earlier in my testing (very early on) I tried Twinview + Xinerama and still noticed it I think, but I may revisit that.

I've spent about the last 8 hours straight in lab trying all the permutations of Nvidia X config settings and several Xgl settings right now. Several driver versions (180.60, 169.12, 173.something), switching from kernel 2.6.24 to 2.6.29, to no avail.

I'm pretty good at reproducing the problem now. Did you watch my video? It is much more blatant if I simply initiate an Xgl window inside of a normal Xinerama-only X session and lay it across a boundary between video outputs. If I do that and spawn a terminal inside, the terminal will not redraw correctly across the boundaries. I could produce a better video now.

I have not found very much googling around. One guy over on the Ubuntu forums mentioned he had smearing like mine, but it went away with Compiz. In my case, Compiz does not appear to be obtaining the correct texture for the window contents perhaps. Or maybe, rather, the video card does not think it is receiving the right texture. It seems like a subtle redraw issue.

I've tried the GlyphCache and InitialPixmapPlacement nvidia-settings options also (they've fixed the weird terminal redrawing problems on my laptop and a Mac mini in my lab in the past), but they did not change anything for me here.
Old 06-02-09, 08:21 AM   #24
mattty

Turning on Twinview did not help.

These people seem to have the same problem as me:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...light=xinerama

I am considering returning my 9800 GTs and perhaps using a single 8800 GTX our professor has along with two DVI triplehead2go boxes from Matrox. It is a little painful, but within our budget.

Jaxxon:
You get along well with the triplehead2go box, yes? I would hate to switch over and then hit some other obscure problem

An 8-series GPU maxes out at 8192x8192 resolution according to Nvidia's documentation, I would think it could drive 3072x1536 in Twinview.