Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-05-09, 09:09 AM   #1
a12ctic
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 2,371
Default Windows 7 and Microsoft

Am I the only one that is incredibly impressed with microsoft and what they're doing with Windows 7?

For a long time I had very little respect for microsoft. With the introduction of the Windows 7 beta cycle, this has completely changed. Traditionally I've felt like Microsoft generally leaves the enthusiest crowd in the dark, however, I feel like this is not the case at all for windows 7. I have receaved pleasant emails from MS, I've been given the oppurtinity to test one of the first MS products suitible for my daily use, and I've actually enjoyed using Windows 7.

Anyway, its been a really nice experience. I've been using Windows 7 happily for a few months. I still use Linux on all my other box's. I actually think that I will purchase W7 when it comes out.

Good job microsoft.
__________________
AMD X2 5050 AMD Radeon HD 4830 AMD 780G 4GB OCZ DDR2 Antec 300 Fedora 11
a12ctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 09:26 AM   #2
Sean_W
Registered User
 
Sean_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,423
Default Re: Windows 7 and Microsoft

I'm surprised at you a12ctic, we don't use Windows not because it's maybe good but because if their restrictions, licences and ways. Windows 7 doesn't change any of that.

To me on a desktop point of view, it doesn't offer anything more KDE4.2/4.3 does. I'm not a gamer now days, I like to get more constructive stuff done and I can do that with Linux. Windows 7 offers me nothing than what I already have.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 09:37 AM   #3
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: The 'burbs, IL USA
Posts: 12,502
Default Re: Windows 7 and Microsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
I'm surprised at you a12ctic, we don't use Windows not because it's maybe good but because if their restrictions, licences and ways. Windows 7 doesn't change any of that.

To me on a desktop point of view, it doesn't offer anything more KDE4.2/4.3 does. I'm not a gamer now days, I like to get more constructive stuff done and I can do that with Linux. Windows 7 offers me nothing than what I already have.
Then back to the Linux forum with you.

saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 09:51 AM   #4
Toss3
.<<o>>.
 
Toss3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 4,763
Default Re: Windows 7 and Microsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
Then back to the Linux forum with you.

ROFL

I can't say I agree with you A12ctic as windows 7 is pretty much Windows Vista in a different disguise, I mean it doesn't bring anything new to the table and it appears as if microsoft is once again catering for the mainstream crowd before the enthusiasts(can't stop windows from installing wdm drivers for my hardware). They've also removed the option of installing your own codecs on the OS and the ridiculous amount of windows Updates speaks for itself.

Windows 7 is by no means a bad OS and is one of best out-of-the-box stable Windows:es ever, but I just fail to see how they've catered to the enthusiasts by removing options and simplifying the whole thing.
__________________
: :Asus Rampage II Gene : : Core i7 920 4011Mhz : : 6Gb 1600Mhz A-Data DDR3 : : Club3D Theatron Agrippa : : Intel 80GB SSD : : 2xSamsung F1 750Gb : : Sapphire 5850 @ 850/1225Mhz : :
: :Benq FP241W : : Optoma HD80 Projector + 92" Screen : : Genelec 8020B speakers : : Sony MDR-XB700 Headphones : : Razer Lycosa : : Razer Lachesis : :
Toss3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 10:24 AM   #5
a12ctic
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 2,371
Default Re: Windows 7 and Microsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3 View Post
ROFL

I can't say I agree with you A12ctic as windows 7 is pretty much Windows Vista in a different disguise, I mean it doesn't bring anything new to the table and it appears as if microsoft is once again catering for the mainstream crowd before the enthusiasts(can't stop windows from installing wdm drivers for my hardware). They've also removed the option of installing your own codecs on the OS and the ridiculous amount of windows Updates speaks for itself.

Windows 7 is by no means a bad OS and is one of best out-of-the-box stable Windows:es ever, but I just fail to see how they've catered to the enthusiasts by removing options and simplifying the whole thing.
I guess I'm just not used to MS products feeling so complete and smooth. The desktop experience is just so much more fluid than anything pre-W7.

That being said, I still believe in the philosophy behind Linux. Its just nice to be able to play games and not completely dread using Windows while my rig is still pretty capable. Hopefully by the time it starts to get dated the ATI open source drivers will be further along then they are now.
__________________
AMD X2 5050 AMD Radeon HD 4830 AMD 780G 4GB OCZ DDR2 Antec 300 Fedora 11
a12ctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 11:18 AM   #6
Rakeesh
 
Rakeesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sonoran Desert
Posts: 6,869
Default Re: Windows 7 and Microsoft

While linux is a great os that has many uses, one thing it isn't is a desktop OS, plain and simple. Google describes it best:

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/n...-for-linux.ars

Quote:
Google Chrome developer Ben Goodger expressed frustration with Linux user interface toolkits and commented that the platform's lack of consistency makes it difficult to know what to target.

"First of all let me generally comment that this entire situation is a clusterf*ck. I am not happy with the technical constraints imposed by Linux and its assorted UIs on Chrome's UI and feature set," he wrote. "There isn't dominant consensus around toolkit and HIG, there seems to be variance in commonly used software as to how it's constructed and what it matches, and I've not heard anyone glow about how they can create the coolest looking UIs with GTK."
__________________
Want to listen to audio without your computer going to sleep? Try this.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 11:39 AM   #7
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Re: Windows 7 and Microsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK View Post
While linux is a great os that has many uses, one thing it isn't is a desktop OS, plain and simple. Google describes it best:

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/n...-for-linux.ars
and that is the problem with open-source, everyone creates his/her version and all it does create more confusion
__________________
Windows 8 the next big failure, right after Windows ME
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 11:44 AM   #8
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Re: Windows 7 and Microsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by a12ctic View Post
Am I the only one that is incredibly impressed with microsoft and what they're doing with Windows 7?

For a long time I had very little respect for microsoft. With the introduction of the Windows 7 beta cycle, this has completely changed. Traditionally I've felt like Microsoft generally leaves the enthusiest crowd in the dark, however, I feel like this is not the case at all for windows 7. I have receaved pleasant emails from MS, I've been given the oppurtinity to test one of the first MS products suitible for my daily use, and I've actually enjoyed using Windows 7.

Anyway, its been a really nice experience. I've been using Windows 7 happily for a few months. I still use Linux on all my other box's. I actually think that I will purchase W7 when it comes out.

Good job microsoft.
i agree that win7 is good, but there really isn't much new. seen it all with vista sp1.
__________________
Windows 8 the next big failure, right after Windows ME
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-09, 12:06 PM   #9
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,948
Default Re: Windows 7 and Microsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by a12ctic View Post
Am I the only one that is incredibly impressed with microsoft and what they're doing with Windows 7?
No, but welcome to 6 months ago.

Alot of us have been going from build to build, Windows 7 is amazing. Nothing like the POS predecessor we've all grown to hate. The V word will be a thing of the past. 7 rocks.
__________________
i7-2600k @ 4.6Ghz, Zotac GTX 680 (1310/7000), 16GB DDR3 1600, 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID 0, Windows 7 x64, CPU and GPU custom watercooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 12:07 PM   #10
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,948
Default Re: Windows 7 and Microsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
i agree that win7 is good, but there really isn't much new. seen it all with vista sp1.
Everything works. What else "new" do you need?
__________________
i7-2600k @ 4.6Ghz, Zotac GTX 680 (1310/7000), 16GB DDR3 1600, 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID 0, Windows 7 x64, CPU and GPU custom watercooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 12:10 PM   #11
Yaboze
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 2,057
Default Re: Windows 7 and Microsoft

10/22 can't come fast enough but RC is rocking for now.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 12:13 PM   #12
Sean_W
Registered User
 
Sean_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,423
Default Re: Windows 7 and Microsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK View Post
While linux is a great os that has many uses, one thing it isn't is a desktop OS, plain and simple. Google describes it best:

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/n...-for-linux.ars
Well they were the ones who picked GTK+. This is just inexperience kicking in here and I've never seen OpenSource developers saying such things.

It's like saying 'I've just built a house on the moon. I designed it for earth but it just doesn't fit well on the moon and it's surroundings'.

It seems even people with such resources and money like Google they can't knuckle down and just do it without whining. Just look at their browser, it looks like something straight out of XP, other web browsers for linux DEs actually fit into the rest of the desktop environment.

Last edited by Sean_W; 06-05-09 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Extra info
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.