Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-05-09, 12:45 PM   #13
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Re: Windows 7 and Microsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaboze View Post
10/22 can't come fast enough but RC is rocking for now.
RTM supposed to happen around late July/early August
Old 06-05-09, 02:36 PM   #14
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

I'm also waiting for Windows 7 to use it ^_^

Quote:
I still use Linux on all my other box's.
Linux is a great operating system, but depends what you're going to use it for. Would be great if it could be using for gaming, because just for using it as a media player or a secure web browsing and communication platform isn't just enough...

I just want a system where I can use MSN, some web browsing, and essentially gaming (among the usual dose of photoshoping and video editing), try to do that with Linux and you'll find... Pidgin for Linux, with its team of incompetent developers who say openly 'I never had a webcam' because they're just not interested in implementing its support?

No matter Linux is mainly fed by a group of enthusiasts and volunteers... if you want a good system, you have to put some heavy work on it, and you can't bear the usual answer aka 'if you don't like it, implement yourself'...

And the number 1 app-killer... dozens of different libraries to implement the same (like XML, SSL sockets and the like)... at least Windows has a unified architecture...

So every OS has it's good and bad points, but like you, I'm waiting for Windows 7 to make my day ^_^
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 06:38 PM   #15
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by a12ctic View Post
Am I the only one that is incredibly impressed with microsoft and what they're doing with Windows 7?

For a long time I had very little respect for microsoft. With the introduction of the Windows 7 beta cycle, this has completely changed. Traditionally I've felt like Microsoft generally leaves the enthusiest crowd in the dark, however, I feel like this is not the case at all for windows 7. I have receaved pleasant emails from MS, I've been given the oppurtinity to test one of the first MS products suitible for my daily use, and I've actually enjoyed using Windows 7.

Anyway, its been a really nice experience. I've been using Windows 7 happily for a few months. I still use Linux on all my other box's. I actually think that I will purchase W7 when it comes out.

Good job microsoft.
Sure it's good but I am not really impressed. I mean, it's Windows 6.1. It's what Vista should have been. And to be honest, it's probably what Vista could be if they just did a massive update. Hell, all the driver packages run on Windows 7 lol.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 06:42 PM   #16
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

vista after botox and face lift
Old 06-05-09, 07:06 PM   #17
Drolfrawd

Send a message via MSN to Drolfrawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
Then back to the Linux forum with you.

Very nice, nice laugh there
Drolfrawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 11:06 PM   #18
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
...Alot of us have been going from build to build, Windows 7 is amazing. Nothing like the POS predecessor we've all grown to hate. The V word will be a thing of the past. 7 rocks.
I have a serious question for you, not flame bait...

Can you please describe what it is about Win7 that you love so much more than Vista?
The obvious features to me are:
1) Improved user interface for the Shell (Windows Explorer, Task Bar, some Control Panel tools).
2) Reduced security prompts.
Beyond these, I struggle to find compelling features. I am keen to hear why other people say effectively that Win7 rocks while Visa sucks. Once again, this is a serious question, so please feel free to reply with a few points in note form.
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 11:43 PM   #19
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
I have a serious question for you, not flame bait...

Can you please describe what it is about Win7 that you love so much more than Vista?
The obvious features to me are:
1) Improved user interface for the Shell (Windows Explorer, Task Bar, some Control Panel tools).
2) Reduced security prompts.
Beyond these, I struggle to find compelling features. I am keen to hear why other people say effectively that Win7 rocks while Visa sucks. Once again, this is a serious question, so please feel free to reply with a few points in note form.
Vista in its current form (SP2) still feels more beta than Windows 7. The performance and reliability history shows my Vista installs on 2 PC rating around 4 continuosly due to the "windows explorer has stopped responding" errors that have increased since SP2 was installed. Also, other application crashes from Firefox and IE8 don't help its case. I've never had a reliability rating above a 6 for any amount of time.

On the other hand, the same hardware in Windows 7 has yet to have any serious crashes - even with leaked betas. However a few applications may still require install in Compatibility mode.

A few real pros for Windows 7:
I have a laptop with a P4 2.4Ghz CPU and maxed ram of 1GB. Vista barely ran on that machine. Windows 7 screams. Memory usage at idle drops into the 200MBs.

I have a Asus EEE PC 900a with 2GB ram and 16GB SSD. Again, Windows 7 runs wonderfully on this machine.

Windows 7 will replace XP on machines that cannot handle Vista - this is a big selling point for Windows 7 that Vista could never claim. Vista needs alot more resources to run smoothly.

I installed Windows 7 on my sisters PC she had an older printer and scanner. The compatilbility wizard in Windows 7 was able to determine and successfully install both - keep in mind neither of these devices have had drivers for any OS since Windows XP. Neither worked in Vista btw.

I could go on, there are alot of reasons for me that solidify my belief that Windows 7 will be very successful and very accepted. Hopefully that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-09, 04:02 AM   #20
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
Ok, thanks for responding. I think you are saying:
o Win7 is more stable than Vista, particularly with Windows Explorer and browser apps.
o Win7 shell runs faster or smoother. (I presume due to interface or scheduling improvements as app benchmarks show no speed increase.)
o Win7 minimum requirements are lower than Vista allowing use on lower spec hardware.
o Win7 ships with more supporting drivers, or driver detection is improved. (Surprising since Win7 is newer while using 95% same driver model as Vista.)

Fair enough. I'm happy to listen and accept your experience with the product. I did add some comments in brackets.

Just for your interest (in case you wonder about my bias or thoughts) my Vista experience has been fine except for a wireless network compatibility issue (with a motherboard of all things, caused network speed of a few bytes per second). Vista has been highly stable, only reboot to update drivers and otherwise run for weeks at a time. Win7 interface improvements are great. I am concerned about the crippling of security and hope there is an option to dial up to Vista standards. I think casual users will have a hard time understanding file system and OS security management issues for both OSes. I'm amazed how MS can turn a boring think like an operating system into a desirable piece of retail software.
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-09, 05:02 AM   #21
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
Then back to the Linux forum with you.

hahaha, If you can't say it in words, use a picture. This is what kids do.

I'll just watch you fight amongst yourselves, which usually happens.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-09, 02:04 PM   #22
Mr Bigman
Strongest Man On Earth

Send a message via AIM to Mr Bigman Send a message via MSN to Mr Bigman Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Bigman

I hink this 7 is a god send for vista users.

I haven't really had any issues with Vista but now with sp2 it seems to revert back to its origans like presp1.

I sear if i wasn't thinking, thats Conroejoe. His constant Vista Rants are that of Conroes.

We thought you moved in with Balmer.
Three EVGA 285 SLI
Antec 1200
Corsiar 1000 HX Power Supply
2 OCZ SSD Hard Drives
4 wd black edition raid 2 setups for 4TB

Last edited by Mr Bigman; 06-06-09 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Cuz im a stud
Mr Bigman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-09, 12:40 PM   #23
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bigman View Post
I hink this 7 is a god send for vista users.
Why is that?

To everyone: why do you find the new taskbar better than the old one?
Old 06-07-09, 12:59 PM   #24
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

i hate the new taskbar