Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-06-09, 09:12 AM   #1
mdoerner
Registered User
 
mdoerner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 62
Default 185.18.14 CUDA, some change.....

Hi All,

I don't have it working yet, but I've made some progress on the CUDA issue in the 185.X series. Looking at the CUDA 2.2 release notes, the instructions call out for gcc to yse the -malign-double flag due to the way 64-integers compile by default in gcc. When I add -malign-double to CFLAGS, instead of getting a 100% complete error when CUDA starts a task in BOINC for GPUGrid, it now just sits there, with the GPUGrid tasks in the queue, but does not change the 1st task from "Ready to Start" to "Running", so nothing starts. So I need one of 2 things...

1.) What are ALL the gcc flags I need for NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-185.18.14-pkg2.run to compile the CUDA driver correctly in 64-bit linux? Or....

2.) How do I get NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-185.18.14-pkg2.run to use the nvcc compiler from the CUDA Toolkit?

Thanks....

Mike Doerner
mdoerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-09, 11:25 AM   #2
Dragoran
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 711
Default Re: 185.18.14 CUDA, some change.....

Quote:
1.) What are ALL the gcc flags I need for NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-185.18.14-pkg2.run to compile the CUDA driver correctly in 64-bit linux? Or....
The same you used to compile the kernel, everything else is insane (as the only part of the driver which can be compiled is the kernel module I am assuming you are talking about that).

Quote:
2.) How do I get NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-185.18.14-pkg2.run to use the nvcc compiler from the CUDA Toolkit?
WTF? This will just result into unpredictable results (if nvcc can compile a kernel module at all).

I doubt that the inctruction are talking about compiling the drivers but the CUDA Applications.
Dragoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-09, 11:26 AM   #3
mdoerner
Registered User
 
mdoerner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 62
Default Re: 185.18.14 CUDA, some change.....

OK, from forums.nvidia.com they're telling me nvcc can't be used for compiling the kernel module (i.e. must be the same as compiled kernel.)

So what gcc flags MUST be enabled/disabled in order to get the CUDA component to work properly? When -malign-double isn't enabled, I get an immediate "100% complete" when a task starts in BOINC for GPUGrid, but when -malign-double is enabled, the tasks do not start for GPUGrid in BOINC. FWIW, I'm SuSE 11.1 and KDE 4.2.2, gcc 4.3.3.

Mike D
mdoerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-09, 11:42 AM   #4
Dragoran
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 711
Default Re: 185.18.14 CUDA, some change.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoerner View Post
OK, from forums.nvidia.com they're telling me nvcc can't be used for compiling the kernel module (i.e. must be the same as compiled kernel.)
As I already said the same applies to the CFLAGS used to compile the kernel module.
Dragoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 04:59 PM   #5
mdoerner
Registered User
 
mdoerner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 62
Default Re: 185.18.14 CUDA, some change.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoran View Post
The same you used to compile the kernel, everything else is insane (as the only part of the driver which can be compiled is the kernel module I am assuming you are talking about that).
That doesn't work with 185.X. It works with 180.X installation.


Quote:
WTF? This will just result into unpredictable results (if nvcc can compile a kernel module at all).

I doubt that the inctruction are talking about compiling the drivers but the CUDA Applications.
185.X is the video driver, as is 180.X. They pull up CUDA 2.2 and 2.1, I believe to work with GPUGrid.

So how do you get the 185.X series to work With BOINC and GPUGrid? The 180.X series works, but has problems with occassional frozen screes when CUDA is running.

Mike Doerner
mdoerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 10:19 AM   #6
dk75
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 171
Default Re: 185.18.14 CUDA, some change.....

Me too.
185 driver series - SETI@home CUDA works only 1s and complete task as bogus
180 driver series - no problem what so ever
__________________
  • Linux Debian Sid x86_64/ 3.2.0
  • Lenovo T61p
  • NVIDIA driver 295.33
  • Xorg/XServer 7.6+12/1.11.4
  • GNOME 3.2.2
dk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 06:28 AM   #7
mdoerner
Registered User
 
mdoerner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 62
Default Re: 185.18.14 CUDA, some change.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk75 View Post
Me too.
185 driver series - SETI@home CUDA works only 1s and complete task as bogus
180 driver series - no problem what so ever
Can you put up a bug report? I've linked this post to the Cuda on Linux forum over ar nvidia.com so they can look at this problem more closely.....

Mike D
mdoerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 02:24 PM   #8
dk75
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 171
Default Re: 185.18.14 CUDA, some change.....

I don't have any boinc.log in BOINC directory ( either in system log directory ) and currently theres no SETI job at all ( nor GPU not CPU ) to test or run from pure terminal.

So I have nothing to post, only that I had this problems with 6.4.5 BOINC Manger and custom made seti program from Crunch3rs so it could be compiled against specific CUDA 2.1 code and therefore don't work with 2.2 available with 185 series driver.

Now I have BOINC Manger 6.6.31 and I wonder if official CUDA SETi client is available with this version on Linux or again I will be forced to use this Windows based custom made Crunch3rs version...
__________________
  • Linux Debian Sid x86_64/ 3.2.0
  • Lenovo T61p
  • NVIDIA driver 295.33
  • Xorg/XServer 7.6+12/1.11.4
  • GNOME 3.2.2
dk75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.