Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-09-09, 12:26 PM   #1
personman

Default KDE 4.3 Beta 2 and 185.18.14: pretty snazzy

I'm running a 64-bit version of the Kubuntu 9.10 alpha and the KDE 4.3 Beta 2 packages hit the repository yesterday.

My system is an Athlon X2 5000+ w/ 4GB RAM and a GeForce 8800GTS, 640MB.

My early impression is that performance wise, this is the best it's been so far... Applications maximize and minimize smoothly and usually without delay. If the beta performs this will, I think it's a good sign for what the release version might offer.

So kudos to the devs, here as well as those working on KDE. Along with the props, some criticism: please work with the nouveau devs or release some code. I realize it's probably not up to you and chances are slim, but I'm saying it anyway.

-Andy
personman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 01:00 PM   #2
clarious

Default Re: KDE 4.3 Beta 2 and 185.18.14: pretty snazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by personman View Post
I'm running a 64-bit version of the Kubuntu 9.10 alpha and the KDE 4.3 Beta 2 packages hit the repository yesterday.

My system is an Athlon X2 5000+ w/ 4GB RAM and a GeForce 8800GTS, 640MB.

My early impression is that performance wise, this is the best it's been so far... Applications maximize and minimize smoothly and usually without delay. If the beta performs this will, I think it's a good sign for what the release version might offer.

So kudos to the devs, here as well as those working on KDE. Along with the props, some criticism: please work with the nouveau devs or release some code. I realize it's probably not up to you and chances are slim, but I'm saying it anyway.

-Andy
Good news

But do you know if it is due to new KDE version or the nvidia driver? I tried KDE 4.2 with nvidia 185.18.04 and it wasn't very fast
clarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 01:29 PM   #3
personman

Default Re: KDE 4.3 Beta 2 and 185.18.14: pretty snazzy

I suspect both are playing a role, but I think recent KDE optimizations might be most responsible.

The Beta 1 release seemed to have horribly slow maximizing, but that is no longer the case.

I think one of the features in 185.18.10 and newer is allowing small pixmaps to be stored in video memory on 8000 series cards. IMO it seemed to make things more responsive as far as switching between, minimizing, and maximizing browser windows, could just be me though.

There is a new social-desktop widget and I'm giving it a spin. I think it's work in progress, but interesting potential. Seems like it's going to be some sort of cross between social-networking and instant messaging, integrated right in to the desktop.

Lets you create a profile, join groups, add friends, and get a list of other users who are close to your longitude and latitude... Seems pretty cool so far.

http://opendesktop.org/

-Andy
personman is offline   Reply With Quote