Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-09-09, 08:10 PM   #49
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Re: Windows 7 and Microsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Im sure if Linux wasn't free most of the users would have an illegal copy... seeing as they can't afford even decent PC Hardware with the allowance their mom gives them.

linux user
Old 06-09-09, 09:11 PM   #50
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
We feel sorry for Windows users and we have to look in on you from time to time, give you a reality
check.
Depends on what you want to do imo.

I used linux for about 3 years and it was great since practically all the software I could ever want was free. But I am a gamer, so I am a slave to MS.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 09:20 PM   #51
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

What is the best looking GUI-based linux distribution out there today?
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 10:24 PM   #52
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
We feel sorry for Windows users and we have to look in on you from time to time, give you a reality
check.
We are fine, we are all too busy gaming to notice. Ahh... Sorry the G word. At least you guys have Tux Racer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 12:34 AM   #53
jcrox
Mahna Mahna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Depends on what you want to do imo.

I used linux for about 3 years and it was great since practically all the software I could ever want was free. But I am a gamer, so I am a slave to MS.
Same here. I use Linux for everything now except gaming. Ubuntu 9.04 has everything I want except DX10

As for Vista vs. Windows 7 I personally don't see any difference performance wise. Vista has worked great for me since day 1 and now apparently so will Windows 7. If it wasn't for the fact that I'll get a couple copies free I really doubt I'd spend a couple hundred bucks to go from Vista SP2 to 7.

Gaming

MSI MPower Z87 | 4770k | CNPS9900MAX-B | 8GB G.Skill 1866 | EVGA GTX760 |ThermalTake 850w | X-Fi Titanium | HAF | Asus PA248Q | Lycosa | Death Adder | Win8 Pro 64

Dev/Backup

MSI GD65 | 2500k | H50 | 8GB G.skill | GTX570 | Ubuntu 13.10

Laptop

17" Inspiron | i5 | 4GB DDR3 | 500GB HDD | Win7 Pro 64

jcrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 12:53 AM   #54
Rakeesh

Quote:
Well they were the ones who picked GTK+. This is just inexperience kicking in here and I've never seen OpenSource developers saying such things.

It's like saying 'I've just built a house on the moon. I designed it for earth but it just doesn't fit well on the moon and it's surroundings'.

It seems even people with such resources and money like Google they can't knuckle down and just do it without whining. Just look at their browser, it looks like something straight out of XP, other web browsers for linux DEs actually fit into the rest of the desktop environment.
ROFL. Are you really trying to tell me that google is inexperienced with linux?

Google, the same very large, very wealthy company who has built nearly their entire infrastructure on linux.

Google, the same company who created the Android OS, which is built on linux.

Google, the same company who currently employs several people who have taken part in the development of the linux ports of several popular programs (to include firefox and openoffice)

Yeah, they sound so inexperienced with linux. Honestly guy, lay off the kool-aid. Even the linux drones that post on slashdot will admit its shortcomings. Linux is not a desktop OS, plain and simple. It is great for many things, but being a desktop OS isn't one of them.

You know what else? The quote I posted was from a guy who used to be the lead developer of firefox. Inexperienced my ass.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 06:21 AM   #55
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK View Post
ROFL. Are you really trying to tell me that google is inexperienced with linux?

Google, the same very large, very wealthy company who has built nearly their entire infrastructure on linux.

Google, the same company who created the Android OS, which is built on linux.

Google, the same company who currently employs several people who have taken part in the development of the linux ports of several popular programs (to include firefox and openoffice)

Yeah, they sound so inexperienced with linux. Honestly guy, lay off the kool-aid. Even the linux drones that post on slashdot will admit its shortcomings. Linux is not a desktop OS, plain and simple. It is great for many things, but being a desktop OS isn't one of them.

You know what else? The quote I posted was from a guy who used to be the lead developer of firefox. Inexperienced my ass.
Well put it this way. I don't see FOSS devs moaning and griping about their toolkits and saying such things as Google do.
They built Android and didn't moan, now all of a sudden they port a browser and moan about Linux.

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2009/06/p...-platform.html

Quote:
And Ben G.: people glow on a regular basis about how they can make the coolest looking UIs using Qt.
Quote:
By the way, Firefox started off in the FOSS world and Google didn't do anything UI wise, they did the anti-phishing extension. Open Office was released by Sun Microsystems, Google helped distribute it and the search bar. Google had nothing to do with the development or UI.

One more thing. Linux is a desktop OS, it's been used as one for over 10 years, about 20 million people use it now days actually. Sorry but you're out of your depth here. Get your facts straight.

Last edited by Sean_W; 06-10-09 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Extra info
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 06:26 AM   #56
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
We are fine, we are all too busy gaming to notice. Ahh... Sorry the G word. At least you guys have Tux Racer.
Linux has plenty of games to suite users. You hardcore gamers are a small minority and if you all came to Linux, you wouldn't even make Linux 2% of the desktop share.

If you want to play mainstream games get a console, most people do now days anyway.

Old 06-10-09, 07:49 AM   #57
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Im sure if Linux wasn't free most of the users would have an illegal copy... seeing as they can't afford even decent PC Hardware with the allowance their mom gives them.
That's one BIG assumption you're making there. At least we don't sit benchmarking our system just for the biggest scores, we have better things to do. Why not go one better and say PC's are poor man's Macs.
Old 06-10-09, 08:02 AM   #58
grey_1

Quote:
That's one BIG assumption you're making there. At least we don't sit benchmarking our system just for the biggest scores, we have better things to do. Why not go one better and say PC's are poor man's Macs.
Quite possibly my only post to you, as I'm sure I already know what your reply will be.

1. Long time linux user here, started with Red Hat, upgraded to Debian.

2. Most pirates I know are Linux users.

3. The basis of your entire philosophy is skewed, as in bass-ackwards. The most popular, oft repeated mantra I hear from the linux crowd is "Choice"!

Hypocritical child. See below for why.

Linux (blanket coverage here) would just love to grab a much larger portion of the market share. Nothing wrong with that, and quite frankly I wish the community good fortune in doing so.

YET....the majority of users posts I've seen on many boards over the past decade or so indicates that the users themselves give absolutely no reason nor incentive to the vast majority of Windows users to even try it out.

Your posts are indicative of this attitude. Windows is not free, hence a linux user MUST by it's very nature begin posting inflammatory, antagonistic remarks in order to accomplish...what exactly? To prove you are an idiot in spite of your level of education or prowess with the Linux kernel?

You've succeeded in that.

Peace and live well. Now go do something productive for a change.
Old 06-10-09, 08:12 AM   #59
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Quite possibly my only post to you, as I'm sure I already know what your reply will be.

1. Long time linux user here, started with Red Hat, upgraded to Debian.

2. Most pirates I know are Linux users.

3. The basis of your entire philosophy is skewed, as in bass-ackwards. The most popular, oft repeated mantra I hear from the linux crowd is "Choice"!

Hypocritical child. See below for why.

Linux (blanket coverage here) would just love to grab a much larger portion of the market share. Nothing wrong with that, and quite frankly I wish the community good fortune in doing so.

YET....the majority of users posts I've seen on many boards over the past decade or so indicates that the users themselves give absolutely no reason nor incentive to the vast majority of Windows users to even try it out.

Your posts are indicative of this attitude. Windows is not free, hence a linux user MUST by it's very nature begin posting inflammatory, antagonistic remarks in order to accomplish...what exactly? To prove you are an idiot in spite of your level of education or prowess with the Linux kernel?

You've succeeded in that.

Peace and live well. Now go do something productive for a change.
You should read some of the comments made here and your own comments are rather presumptuous. Windows is the most pirated OS in the world, so is it's software. Point proved in that respect.

Anyway, good luck with your Windows 7.
Old 06-10-09, 09:37 AM   #60
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Linux has plenty of games to suite users. You hardcore gamers are a small minority and if you all came to Linux, you wouldn't even make Linux 2% of the desktop share.

If you want to play mainstream games get a console, most people do now days anyway.
I have a 360, its garbage next to my PC for games. You guys can have your free OS I'll take gaming on the PC anyday over Linux and a console. Hardcore gamers arent coming over to Linux, like Mac Linux is doomed to hold only consume a tiny sliver of market share.

I cant wait till Linux users start running douchebag commercials like Mac to tell us how superior their crap is. Back to your hole we don't care lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote