Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-10-09, 12:01 PM   #61
Quick420

Default Re: Windows 7 and Microsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
I'm surprised at you a12ctic, we don't use Windows not because it's maybe good but because if their restrictions, licences and ways. Windows 7 doesn't change any of that.

To me on a desktop point of view, it doesn't offer anything more KDE4.2/4.3 does. I'm not a gamer now days, I like to get more constructive stuff done and I can do that with Linux. Windows 7 offers me nothing than what I already have.
Hahahahahha,Linux geeks are all the same.No matter what OS comes out Linux is still better.........you must be sooooo intelligent.Us mere mortals still need to have everything done for us.Windows 7 looks like it will catch on with the vast majority,you stick with Penguin Power if you wish
2x2gb Ddr2 1066mhz 4-4-4-12 1T
3xWD WD5000AAKS 500gb/sata300/ 1xSeagate 320gb Ide(tuuunz)
X-fi Fatality Pro*ASUS VH242H 24"LCD*:::Windoze 7-64bit:::
Sony DvD/Ram-Drive
Logitech G25
3dmark06 17,898 Vantage 12,851

If the light is GREEN the trap is clean
Quick420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 04:31 PM   #62
Sean_W

You people should lighten up a bit and not be on the offensive all the time.

The point was it doesn't matter how good Windows 7 is, most core Linux users wouldn't use it because of the draconian licensing which Windows 7 doesn't change. We like our software freedom without the need for activation and reactivation, hardware change or reinstall.

Most people here selectively read and make assumptions on the small bit they decided to selectively read.

Last edited by Sean_W; 06-10-09 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Grammar
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 04:56 PM   #63
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick420 View Post
Hahahahahha,Linux geeks are all the same.No matter what OS comes out Linux is still better.........you must be sooooo intelligent.Us mere mortals still need to have everything done for us.Windows 7 looks like it will catch on with the vast majority,you stick with Penguin Power if you wish
That's just offensive, at least if you're gonna make an opinion, don't make it sound like a hammer against other people, because it's all about freedom of choice.

I use both Windows and Linux, both of them have their strong and weak points...

The most known weak point about Windows is its 'relative' lack of security... if it's that secure as you could think, why every time windows update fires up it comes with dozen of security and malware updates? Linux is not an absolutely secure OS but at least the packages that conform the security infrastructure, from shadow to OpenSSH, passing through Linux-PAM, GNUPG and many others just have occasional patches, not every day...

And that's not a thing for geeks, it's a thing for everyone... I can't just envision a system where I have to give 25% of my system resources to an antivirus or anti-mal/spyware program just to be safe when I'm browsing the web and click on a banner or any kind of visual interface interaction. With Linux, just forget about it, the vast majority of threats doesn't have ANY impact at all with Linux, mainly because their codebase is binary incompatible with Linux (anyway I haven't ever used any form of anti-viral protection under Windows and I haven't ever had any need for formatting my pc due to that, so it's a naive point for myself, I have to admit).

The most known weak point about Linux is some form of multimedia environments and gaming... Ok, it's a point good enough to ditch Linux in favor of Windows if you're on the gaming side, that doesn't mean there aren't good games on Linux, but it all depends on your gaming needs, the problem I see with Linux is just around 60-70% of the 'remarkable' games for Linux are somewhat blatant copies of Quake III, mainly because they're based on its source code, but that doesn't mean the Linux gaming community is stucked playing this kind of games... even Valve was looking for a software engineer to port the Steam platform to Linux, that doesn't necessarily mean we'll be seeing Half-Life 2 or any other remarkable game running with it (unless you go with Wine, and many people does), but things just progress... at an extremely slow rate? maybe... but it's definitely progressing...

And this is just a mere sample about the two OS... I'll just add one more example of Windows VS Linux fights where Linux wins in a very clear way... STANDARDS.

Why? Just because Windows isn't the only operating system in the planet and a PC is not the only kind of hardware in the planet. Standards allows for clear information exchange across a wide range of hardware and OS, like SVG, XML, XSL, HTML, OpenGL, OpenAL and many other libraries and standards. Microsoft always tries to make their own interpretation on standards and there you have Internet Explorer 8, a relatively good web browser that miserably fails at the time of browsing some pages, whereas any other browser can browse it with relative ease... so what's the big deal?

Not caring about others is just SELFISH, you can't just say you couldn't care more just because you can't just understand the importance of exchanging information, because the Internet is based on things like this...

Personally? I'll still keep both OS, I have LinuxMint 7 on a LiveCD and Windows Vista currently installed in my machine, I'll use both depending on my needs... MSN, gaming and some other tasks tie me to Windows, whereas others don't...

Not a single windows user should be left unrespected as well as not a single Linux user should be left unrespected... that's how everyone can share opinions and make the Internet a good place to be...

Peace

Julio
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 05:00 PM   #64
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Linux users please following the link back home already...http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27

There ya go. Now GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 05:06 PM   #65
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

here? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZjjxR0HqNE xD
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 05:16 PM   #66
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
Linux users please following the link back home already...http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27

There ya go. Now GTFO
How do you know there are 'only' linux users here, did you make that assumption based on what you wanted to read?

The thread can be read and responded by anyone, not just Windows users.
Old 06-10-09, 06:31 PM   #67
Rakeesh

Quote:
Well put it this way. I don't see FOSS devs moaning and griping about their toolkits and saying such things as Google do.
They built Android and didn't moan, now all of a sudden they port a browser and moan about Linux.
Woah hold it right there. I don't even think you understand what their gripe is, and furthermore I think your understanding of linux itself isn't all that great to begin with. Android is built on linux, but its similarities with other linux distributions ends right about there. You don't seem to understand that Linux is just the kernel. X11, gtk, qt, etc are all built on top of that. However, these are the things that define "linux on the desktop," not the kernel. And the fact is, they all suck. Therefore, linux on the desktop sucks. And they need to make chrome available for your everyday linux distributions that use all of these.

Quote:
While that guy speaks about Qt as if it is nothing but unicorns and rainbows, it isn't without its own set of problems. I should know, I was once on an OSS development team that used it, and although I wasn't a coder, I remember several of them griping about it. (google tystudio)

Quote:
By the way, Firefox started off in the FOSS world and Google didn't do anything UI wise, they did the anti-phishing extension. Open Office was released by Sun Microsystems, Google helped distribute it and the search bar. Google had nothing to do with the development or UI.
And this means what exactly? The guy they hired used to be the lead firefox developer, i.e. he worked FOR them, not google.

Quote:
One more thing. Linux is a desktop OS, it's been used as one for over 10 years, about 20 million people use it now days actually. Sorry but you're out of your depth here. Get your facts straight.
What everybody is saying is that it is a very bad operating system to use on a desktop. It is great for other things though.

Quote:
The point was it doesn't matter how good Windows 7 is, most core Linux users wouldn't use it because of the draconian licensing which Windows 7 doesn't change. We like our software freedom without the need for activation and reactivation, hardware change or reinstall.
Which is fine and all, but some of us put function before ideology when it comes to our software. When we want something done, we want it done. We don't want to pledge allegiance to the open source flag every time we use it, we'd rather just not even think about it if possible, and focus on the task at hand instead. That said, we go with whatever tool makes the job cleaner and easier.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 06:47 PM   #68
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
How do you know there are 'only' linux users here, did you make that assumption based on what you wanted to read?

The thread can be read and responded by anyone, not just Windows users.
Its a general statement for all the Linux users in this thread. Go back to your own sub-forum, really we don't care about Linux and most of us never will. This thread was about Windows 7 and Microsoft Linux discussion is so off topic in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-09, 10:28 PM   #69
ViN86

If this digresses into a "MS Iz B3TT3R!"/"NO L1NUX Iz BETT3R!!!" thread, it will close.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 02:21 AM   #70
Acid Rain
What a sweet little...

Quote:
We like our software free.
Yeah I know, but a company's got to make money to survive, right? So you have to pay for Windows. Big deal.
RAM: 4GB KHX6400D2LLK2
3D Porkware: Radeon HD 4890
Aux Equipment: Phase-B Nanocycloptics
Acid Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 06:46 AM   #71
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK View Post
Therefore, linux on the desktop sucks. And they need to make chrome available for your everyday linux distributions that use all of these.
Nowhere is this more apparent than in the netbook market. There was an article posted a few weeks back talking about how astronomically higher the return rate of Linux equipped netbooks is versus their Windows counterparts. A computer doesn't get much more easy to use than a netbook, yet Linux is a failure there.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 07:31 AM   #72
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
Nowhere is this more apparent than in the netbook market. There was an article posted a few weeks back talking about how astronomically higher the return rate of Linux equipped netbooks is versus their Windows counterparts. A computer doesn't get much more easy to use than a netbook, yet Linux is a failure there.
Yet another, 'I'll selectively read what's given to me'

Linux has more share in netbooks than the desktop. It started with nothing and has about 10%. where's the failure there? Considering Linux doesn't get any air time compared to Windows and Microsoft are selling XP at a loss just to keep the market.

In the end people pick what they know and are familiar with, so it's go nothing to do with Linux having poor usability for the Average Joe. Companies like DELL advertise here in the UK, yet I've never seen a advert for Linux. It shows how 'under the thumb' they are when it comes to Microsoft.