Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-11-09, 08:43 AM   #73
Sean_W
Registered User
 
Sean_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,423
Default Re: Windows 7 and Microsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Rain View Post
Yeah I know, but a company's got to make money to survive, right? So you have to pay for Windows. Big deal.
You're the one with a selective reading problem. I said "We like our software freedom" not 'we like our software free'. Two totally different things.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 08:52 AM   #74
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: The 'burbs, IL USA
Posts: 12,502
Default Re: Windows 7 and Microsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Linux has more share in netbooks than the desktop. It started with nothing and has about 10%. where's the failure there?
Got a link to back this up? If that's true, 10% is still pathetic considering how much cheaper Linux netbooks are compared with their Windows counterparts.

Quote:
It seems as though brick-and-mortar retailers have been hesitant to stock netbooks or have even ignored them, at least until now. Why do you think that is?

Retailers have been hesitant to bring netbooks into stores because at that moment they were afraid that the netbook category would eat at their notebook sales. They were also only selling the only available product from ASUS, and sales were only okay, and they struggled with return rates, especially of Linux systems. But now it has become more of a trend and these retailers just have to be in this business.

You mention the return rates being high. Has that been the case with the Wind as well?

We have done a lot of studies on the return rates and havenít really talked about it much until now. Our internal research has shown that the return of netbooks is higher than regular notebooks, but the main cause of that is Linux. People would love to pay $299 or $399 but they donít know what they get until they open the box. They start playing around with Linux and start realizing that itís not what they are used to. They donít want to spend time to learn it so they bring it back to the store. The return rate is at least four times higher for Linux netbooks than Windows XP netbooks.

Interestingly enough, we struggled with the Linux version of the Wind U90. Are there plans to tailor a Linux OS for the Wind?

We plan to bring the Linux version to the U.S by the end of the year. But we are working on some of the issues with the SUSE Linux and even continue to explore other flavors of Linux. We have discussed Ubuntu with a Mac OS type of look and feel. We are talking to different suppliers to figure out the best user experience.
http://blog.laptopmag.com/msi-wind-c...ls-coming-soon
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 09:16 AM   #75
Sean_W
Registered User
 
Sean_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,423
Default Re: Windows 7 and Microsoft

Linux lost out to Microsoft this year on network sales, since Linux netbooks had 70% of the market last year. Now it's projected around 10%. This is really not a surprise considering the tactics being played by Microsoft.

It's known that Microsoft are selling XP at a loss just to gain market share. I'm not going to lie to you like some sort of Linux/ Windows fanboy would, it's a big blow to what was a great start for Linux with netbooks. That's always been Microsoft's way of killing the competition.

There are all sort of questions being asked out there about Microsoft like "Is Microsoft ‘Buying-Off’ Linux Netbook Vendors?"

http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2009...tbook-vendors/

Disputed Netbook claims

http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS3469282186.html

More info.

http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2009/05...tbook-mar.html


Quote:
They start playing around with Linux and start realizing that it’s not what they are used to. They don’t want to spend time to learn it so they bring it back to the store. The return rate is at least four times higher for Linux netbooks than Windows XP netbooks.
That's fair enough. Clearly not Linux's fault and it shows that people even bring XP netbooks back to the store. You see Microsoft gained desktop share by getting people used to Windows from the enterprise market 'use at work, why not use at home' sort of slogan.

It's always hard to get people using something they're not used to, it's just a fact and not that Linux is bad as a desktop OS. Apple is barley making 8% share and just about everyone consciously knowns the name "Apple" from iPods and iPhones unless you've lived under a rock for the past 20 years.

Last edited by Sean_W; 06-11-09 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Extra view on the subject
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 11:45 AM   #76
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: Windows 7 and Microsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
Got a link to back this up? If that's true, 10% is still pathetic considering how much cheaper Linux netbooks are compared with their Windows counterparts.



http://blog.laptopmag.com/msi-wind-c...ls-coming-soon
Sure sat, but let's be completely honest. The reason the return rate is 4 times higher is because people are so freaking lazy. No one wants to learn something new when they can get by on their same old knowledge. It's not because the netbooks are "neutered" or anything, it's a problem with the average consumer (no surprise there).
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 12:59 PM   #77
snowmanwithahat
Snowy
 
snowmanwithahat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 974
Default Re: Windows 7 and Microsoft

Windows 7 was once described as "the 2nd half of vista"..... which is very accurate.

If you look at all the documentation on "windows longhorn" vista before it lost the codename... it was supposed to do what windows 7 is doing now. really windows 7 should be dropped, it should be Vista Sp2 and be free..... because come on, this is what vista was meant to be but they just didn't do it in time.

(revised search engine, new file system, better stability)

.... it's a great platform for gaming and I support the linux front too. I'll be dual booting ubuntu and w7 probably, but I just can't do without the games and we all know how linux is with those games...
__________________
---Gaming Rig---
Q6600 3.4ghz (378x9) - 1.5v
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
8gb (4x2gb) OCZ Gold DDR2-800 (5-4-4-12)
MSI+ASUS GTX 470 SLI
Dell u3011 IPS Display
HP 22" Auxiliary Monitor
256gb Western Digital Silicon Edge Blue SSD
5x2tb RAID-5 Array
750W PC P&C PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit & Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit

---Gaming Laptop---
ASUS G53JW
Core i7 740QM
16gb DDR3
Nvidia GTX 460m
1tb WD HDD
120gb Corsair SSD

Join the NvNews Folding @ Home Team
snowmanwithahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 01:03 PM   #78
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Re: Windows 7 and Microsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Sure sat, but let's be completely honest. The reason the return rate is 4 times higher is because people are so freaking lazy. No one wants to learn something new when they can get by on their same old knowledge. It's not because the netbooks are "neutered" or anything, it's a problem with the average consumer (no surprise there).
or it could be from consumer point of view that everything you happen to buy from a store would not work on it.
__________________
Windows 8 the next big failure, right after Windows ME
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 01:13 PM   #79
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: Windows 7 and Microsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
or it could be from consumer point of view that everything you happen to buy from a store would not work on it.
People aren't running many programs like that on netbooks. Besides, for the bulk of necessity programs (ie Internet browser, email client, word processor, image processing, etc.), there are free Linux counterparts for all the Windows applications that are just as powerful (Firefox, Thunderbird, Open Office, gIMP, etc.).

It really comes down to people not wanting to go outside their comfort zone, which is completely their prerogative, but that's just how it is.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 01:15 PM   #80
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: Windows 7 and Microsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmanwithahat View Post
Windows 7 was once described as "the 2nd half of vista"..... which is very accurate.

If you look at all the documentation on "windows longhorn" vista before it lost the codename... it was supposed to do what windows 7 is doing now. really windows 7 should be dropped, it should be Vista Sp2 and be free..... because come on, this is what vista was meant to be but they just didn't do it in time.

(revised search engine, new file system, better stability)

.... it's a great platform for gaming and I support the linux front too. I'll be dual booting ubuntu and w7 probably, but I just can't do without the games and we all know how linux is with those games...
/me thinks you mean Vista SP3...

SP2 is out already
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-09, 02:03 PM   #81
Riptide
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 8,303
Default Re: Windows 7 and Microsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
I agree. I haven't really had any issues with Vista.
Same. I had to reinstall once due to a hardware failure and have been on that build for quite some time now. No problems with stability. No BSOD and CTD and other errors are extremely rare.

Usage is running steam games, email, internet browsing, and burning discs/media. YMMV.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-09, 02:28 PM   #82
Rakeesh
 
Rakeesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sonoran Desert
Posts: 6,873
Default Re: Windows 7 and Microsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Yet another, 'I'll selectively read what's given to me'

Linux has more share in netbooks than the desktop. It started with nothing and has about 10%. where's the failure there? Considering Linux doesn't get any air time compared to Windows and Microsoft are selling XP at a loss just to keep the market.

In the end people pick what they know and are familiar with, so it's go nothing to do with Linux having poor usability for the Average Joe. Companies like DELL advertise here in the UK, yet I've never seen a advert for Linux. It shows how 'under the thumb' they are when it comes to Microsoft.
Little flaw in your argument there. Actually Linux had a much greater share of netbooks initially, then over time Windows overtook it, and now it is way ahead. The netbook market saw its first exposure to Linux, but Linux wasn't attractive enough to hold its position there.
__________________
Want to listen to audio without your computer going to sleep? Try this.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-09, 02:50 PM   #83
Rakeesh
 
Rakeesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sonoran Desert
Posts: 6,873
Default Re: Windows 7 and Microsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Linux lost out to Microsoft this year on network sales, since Linux netbooks had 70% of the market last year. Now it's projected around 10%. This is really not a surprise considering the tactics being played by Microsoft.
Like what exactly?

Here. Read this quote:

Quote:
People would love to pay $299 or $399 but they donít know what they get until they open the box. They start playing around with Linux and start realizing that itís not what they are used to. They donít want to spend time to learn it so they bring it back to the store. The return rate is at least four times higher for Linux netbooks than Windows XP netbooks.
That is not due to anything microsoft is doing. This is because they don't like linux. They aren't you. They aren't buying an ideology, they're essentially buying a tool. If they wanted to buy an ideology, they wouldn't be going to a computer store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
It's known that Microsoft are selling XP at a loss just to gain market share. I'm not going to lie to you like some sort of Linux/ Windows fanboy would, it's a big blow to what was a great start for Linux with netbooks.
Not going to lie eh? Ok prove it. Show me how it's "known" that microsoft is selling XP at a loss. In fact I'd like to know how it is even possible to sell XP at a loss. Even if they sold it for $10 per unit they'd still make a decent profit (which I don't even think they sell it for that low to netbook makers.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
There are all sort of questions being asked out there about Microsoft like "Is Microsoft ĎBuying-Offí Linux Netbook Vendors?"

http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2009...tbook-vendors/
Terrible source for your argument. One, it's heavily biased. Two, I like this little part:

Quote:
familiar Ė Well, OK Iíll give them that. But I could make Ubuntu blue and have big child-like buttons if I really wanted to.
WELL GUESS WHAT, YOU DIDN'T.

Furthermore his case for them being bought off is a bad one. It's pretty simple really, the OEM's have an easier time selling windows because consumers like windows better. And when they do sell linux netbooks, they are four times more likely to be returned. I like his little speculative argument here:

Quote:
This whole thing reminds me of the stupid and cringe-worthy adverts you see in the press where Vendor X says that they ďRecommend Proprietary OS Home PremiumĒ. Do they hell. Do you think they really believe that? Or do you think they have been given incentives to say so?
Yes to the first question, no to the second one. For the most part, the consumer doesn't even know what the hell the OS is. They just turn their computer on and click start and click word. Sure they've heard the name microsoft, and windows, but they don't even know what exactly windows means. So when you ask them what OS they want, how the hell do they know what they are going to pick? Hence the vendor makes a recommendation. If you don't know what OS you want, you are probably looking for Windows.

Gee, ya think?

...

Some people are so retarded, they have to put a conspiracy theory behind something that is otherwise so simple.

We keep hearing every year that "this year will be the year of linux on the desktop" because it is going to get x improvement here, etc etc etc. Yet does it ever happen? These articles are basically making that same claim, only with netbooks instead.

Quote:
That's fair enough. Clearly not Linux's fault and it shows that people even bring XP netbooks back to the store. You see Microsoft gained desktop share by getting people used to Windows from the enterprise market 'use at work, why not use at home' sort of slogan.
No, people just got used to microsoft, and eventually brought it home. Microsoft never even marketed to non-business related use until windows 95 came out, and at that time people had been using it in the home for years.

Quote:
It's always hard to get people using something they're not used to, it's just a fact and not that Linux is bad as a desktop OS. Apple is barley making 8% share and just about everyone consciously knowns the name "Apple" from iPods and iPhones unless you've lived under a rock for the past 20 years.
Well if linux was so great, how come it isn't ahead of apple even? Windows has a huge cost advantage over apple, and linux has a huge cost advantage over windows.
__________________
Want to listen to audio without your computer going to sleep? Try this.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-09, 02:58 PM   #84
XDanger
Whaaat?
 
XDanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,728
Default Re: Windows 7 and Microsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Microsoft are selling XP at a loss just to keep the market.
XP is ancient ,considering the price hasn't changed much for 10 years I'm sure they've made enough on it already...

also ,right or wrong Microsoft is the market


PC = poor man's Mac was hilarious


This thread should have been moved (or something) a while ago.
__________________
2500K 4.7ghz,P8P67Pro,120gb Force3, 8gb Vengeance,R9290,TX850v2,W7HP,LaCie Blue 22" crt COMMODORE 64 Silver Label 1Mhz/128D 4Mhz(Z80)
XDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2014, nV News.