Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-11-09, 06:03 AM   #1
amicable

Unhappy GForce4MX + Athlon + Ubuntu 9.04 can't get it going, ran great in 8.10

Having a nightmare getting Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty running with my nVidia NV17GL Quadro NVS rev a3. If I choose Accessories>Admin>Hardware Drivers I get nVidia version 96 but it fails to work (x doesn't start and I have to go back to a blank xorg.conf).

I tried using envyng and I get similar problems and have to recover and uninstall it. This was all working great in 8.10. I tried an old xorg.conf from that and no luck.

Any clues where I'm tripping up?

Thanks

Paul

AMD Athlon XP 2400+, Ubuntu Studio 9.04, Kernel 2.6.28-3-rt, nVidia NV17GL Quadro NVS rev a3
amicable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 06:31 AM   #2
RaimaKesar
*BANNED*

Default Re: GForce4MX + Athlon + Ubuntu 9.04 can't get it going, ran great in 8.10

aving a nightmare getting Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty
RaimaKesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 06:53 AM   #3
amicable

Default Re: GForce4MX + Athlon + Ubuntu 9.04 can't get it going, ran great in 8.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaimaKesar View Post
aving a nightmare getting Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty
Thank you. That's not very helpful. I've been struggling with this issue for a couple of days now. Can anyone help me out?
Old 06-11-09, 09:07 AM   #4
amicable

ok, so here's the bug report generated by the nvidia script. This is what I've been doing on a totally fresh install of Ubuntu 9.04 (studio):

1. I try to install the 96.x legacy driver as recommended by Accessories>Admin>Hardware Drivers
2. This d/l's and goes through an install. It appears to have finished (I get the bar telling me it's done 80,90% etc) but then the install dialogue box disappears and I'm left with the original hardware drivers notification still telling me to install
3. I go to nVidia X server settings, a dialogue appears and says: "You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server."
4. I run nvidia-xconfig as root as suggested. A prompt tells me to reboot.
5. Desktop icons disappear and I'm left with the desktop background image. The system hangs.
6. I have to switch the machine off to restart; X fails to start and I go into a shell to generate the bug report from the nvidia script. Log attached below.
7. I get X restarted by replacing xorg.conf with a blank file
8. Umm, I post this here

Help!
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (63.0 KB, 82 views)
Old 06-12-09, 08:24 AM   #5
amicable

Am I on my own with this? I'm tearing my hair out; don't know what to look for. Please?
Old 06-12-09, 10:01 AM   #6
Descore
MythTV user

@ RaimaKesar's repsonse (sorry couldn't help it)..

Well it is very "funny" because your card doesn't seem to be listed in nVidia's driver compatibility list. From the bug report it seems to have device ID 0x015d which Linux recognizes as "NV17GL [Quadro NVS]", but according to the lists I can find the only Quadro NVS that has NV17GL has ID 17A, and this is supported by the 96 driver.

Some others in the 015X ID series are only supported by the 71 driver.

It's always better to manually install the driver with the Nvidia installer if there are any problems rather than using a package. That way the installer may detect some issue and print helpful information.

I suggest you try manually installing the 96 driver and then try the 71 driver if that fails.

Try the following:

Code:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
$ wget http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/96.43.05/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.05-pkg1.run
$ wget http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/71.86.04/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-71.86.04-pkg1.run
Download both the drivers you're going to try with, and stops X (easier to download from inside X where you can copy/paste . Now login to the terminal and continue:

Code:
$ sudo sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.05-pkg1.run
Follow the prompts and complete the installation. They you can try restarting X:

Code:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
If it doesn't work try the 71 driver instead (stop X first like above):

Code:
$ sudo sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-71.86.04-pkg1.run
If that also doesn't work then I guess you can try the "nv" simple open source driver or the "nouveau" advanced open source driver.. but try the others first.

Cheers
Descore
Descore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-09, 11:38 AM   #7
amicable

Descore, thank you very much. I'm going through the procedure once I can grab another laptop to have at my side. It's useful to know my card is some sort of oddity - hope it helps others..
Old 06-12-09, 12:50 PM   #8
amicable

OK, things have moved on a little. I reinstalled from scratch but this time 64Studio which is based on 8.10.

No matter, I still have to get the nVidia driver going. So far, I've installed a bunch of dependencies for the Nvidia installer but am stuck on 'unable to find kernel source tree for the currently running kernel'.

uname -r gives me:

2.6.29-1-multtimedia-686

From the command line, how do I get that source so that the nVidia installer is happy?

Thanks! I feel like I'm getting somewhere...

Old 06-12-09, 01:03 PM   #9
Descore
MythTV user

Quote:
Originally Posted by amicable View Post
OK, things have moved on a little. I reinstalled from scratch but this time 64Studio which is based on 8.10.

No matter, I still have to get the nVidia driver going. So far, I've installed a bunch of dependencies for the Nvidia installer but am stuck on 'unable to find kernel source tree for the currently running kernel'.

uname -r gives me:

2.6.29-1-multtimedia-686

From the command line, how do I get that source so that the nVidia installer is happy?

Thanks! I feel like I'm getting somewhere...
Do "apt-get search 2.6.29-1-multimedia" and install any kernel-headers and kernel-source package(s) it comes up with.
Old 06-12-09, 01:17 PM   #10
amicable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descore View Post
Do "apt-get search 2.6.29-1-multimedia" and install any kernel-headers and kernel-source package(s) it comes up with.
ok - it was "aptitude search" I needed to do btw

I installed the headers successfully (there was one relevant file) but still get the kernel header file error. It says the most likely reason is the kernel source path is incorrect - how do I check & specify this path?
Old 06-12-09, 03:35 PM   #11
Descore
MythTV user

I'm not sure, it ought to work if you use the stock kernel and have the corresponding headers installed. But maybe the kernel is too new to work with the legacy drivers without a patch. Check this thread for a patch that may work for you (and instructions).
Old 06-13-09, 05:53 AM   #12
amicable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descore View Post
I'm not sure, it ought to work if you use the stock kernel and have the corresponding headers installed. But maybe the kernel is too new to work with the legacy drivers without a patch. Check this thread for a patch that may work for you (and instructions).
I get a command not found on that; checked syntax pretty carefully so it's not that. Isn't that patch for 64 bit machines? I've installed 64Studio but confusingly, the os has 32 and 64 bit versions.