Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-15-09, 09:15 PM   #1
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Duke Nukem Court Battle Getting Nasty

Update: 3D Realms/Apogee Ltd. founder Scott Miller has chimed in with his thoughts:
Do readers here realize that filed lawsuits are entirely one-sided statements, based on knee-deep BS and with more spin that a top?

3DR has been in nearly a dozen lawsuits (including against Warner and Fox). We're always innocent, and we always win. This one is no exception. Give it a year, then the truth will come out.


Original: More documents relevant to the ongoing courtroom drama between Duke Nukem Forever developer 3D Realms/Apogee Ltd. and publisher Take-Two have been released, shedding new light on the circumstances that lead to the termination of the game's dev team and the subsequent lawsuit over the game's incomplete state.



The team handling the long-in-development shooter was let go on May 6, with 3D Realms later explaining that this stemmed from funding issues after negotiations with Take-Two fell through and the publisher made an "unacceptable" last minute proposal "to acquire the Duke Nukem franchise and the 3DR development team."

The court documents reveal that those negotiations were related to an Xbox 360 port of the anticipated game, which Apogee subsidiary 3D Realms was crafting for the PC.

In early 2009, Take-Two "solicited" 3D Realms to see if the studio could co-develop an Xbox 360 edition. In the following negotiations, 3D Realms apparently "demanded that Take-Two fully fund Apogee's reaching certain milestones" if it was to co-develop an Xbox 360 edition alongside the long-coming PC version.

Duke Nukem Forever was formally announced in 1997, with the game then expected the next year. Since then, the title has suffered from numerous delays and setbacks.

Take-Two was reluctant to fully fund the game "in light of the extensive delays in development of the PC version," and says it offered to fund half of the "concurrent development" costs "up through" 3D Realms hitting the "Alpha Milestone," with the remaining half to be paid upon completion of the game.

Take-Two claims that 3D Realms rejected the above proposal. 3D Realms, meanwhile, previously claimed that "Take-Two materially changed the parameters of the proposed funding agreement"--something 3D Realms reportedly told the company it could not "financially afford"--with 3D Realms claiming to reject the "unacceptable" proposal Take-Two later made for the franchise and development team.

With the game's development now halted and its development team disbanded, Take-Two says that 3D Realms "breached its commitment" to deliver the "completed source code of DNF in a timely manner," a move that also prevents Take-Two from porting the game to consoles, such as the Xbox 360.



As part of a 2000 agreement to "promote and exploit" Duke Nukem Forever, Take-Two claims it has "exclusive, irrevocable and worldwide rights to develop" DNF for consoles. Take-Two further adds that the agreement allowed the company to "independently develop" console ports once 3D Realms had delivered the PC source code .

In terms of compensation, Take-Two believes it is entitled to the incomplete source code--which would help "in the development of the Console Versions of DNF"--along with "damages equal to...lost profits caused by Apogee's failure to timely develop and deliver" DNF PC and "an award of damages equal to the DNF Advances with accrued interest."

3D Realms received two advances for Duke Nukem Forever: $400,000 from former publisher GT Interactive in 1998--a debt Take-Two assumed when it acquired the DNF publishing rights--and $2.5 million from Take-Two Interactive in 2008.

According to Take-Two, that second advance was provided with the stipulation of "7% per annum" interest after September 2009, and an agreement that the sum would "become immediately due" if Duke Nukem Forever was not released by October 22, 2012.

Perhaps most shockingly, Take-Two claims that "upon information and belief, [3D Realms/Apogee Ltd.] has title to a substantial amount of funds deposited in an off-shore account, which Take-Two believes Apogee can use to fund its outstanding obligations."

Take-Two further notes that, in the event of "any future development of the Console Versions of DNF," 3D Realms and Apogee are "required to cooperate"--suggesting that there may still be a chance of Duke Nukem Forever, in some form, hitting store shelves.

Shacknews has contacted 3D Realms for comment. If you're interested, the full 20-page court document can be found over on FileShack.


http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/59148
__________________
Windows 8 the next big failure, right after Windows ME
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-09, 09:37 PM   #2
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: The 'burbs, IL USA
Posts: 12,502
Default Re: Duke Nukem Court Battle Getting Nasty

Does any of this matter, really?
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-09, 09:41 PM   #3
Destroy
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,994
Default Re: Duke Nukem Court Battle Getting Nasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
Does any of this matter, really?
I cried.
__________________

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-09, 09:43 PM   #4
lee63
Classified
 
lee63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Murrieta, U.S./Taunton, U.K.
Posts: 4,263
Default Re: Duke Nukem Court Battle Getting Nasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
Does any of this matter, really?
NO!!
__________________
lee63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-09, 10:08 PM   #5
methimpikehoses
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Duke Nukem Court Battle Getting Nasty

Come get some.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-09, 10:32 PM   #6
Lfctony
Registered User
 
Lfctony's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Larnaca, Cyprus
Posts: 4,152
Default Re: Duke Nukem Court Battle Getting Nasty

And the joke continues...
__________________
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-09, 10:50 PM   #7
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me
 
NarcissistZero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 8,033
Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: Duke Nukem Court Battle Getting Nasty

Offshore accounts eh?

I really think Apogee/3D Realms was up to something.
__________________
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-09, 10:56 PM   #8
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps
 
Vanzagar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,167
Default Re: Duke Nukem Court Battle Getting Nasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
Does any of this matter, really?
someones probably losing a **** load of money...
Vanzagar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-09, 01:58 AM   #9
autobot
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Portland, OR.
Posts: 254
Default Re: Duke Nukem Court Battle Getting Nasty

I would be pissed too if I payed a company $400,000 dollars to produce a game in '97 and to this day still has NOT sen any return whatsoever. I think after 4 years, game publishers should just cut their ties if the game developer doesn't provide any proof that there are any milestones being met. Whats stupid is that in 2008 they gave them another $2.5 MILLION dollars after waiting 11 years with no product! While it is lame that they gave them the extra money, I think that they should have all rights to DNF. 3DR screwed them over BLATANTLY and should pay the price for their foolishness.
__________________
[CENTER]- [B][COLOR="Red"]autobot[/COLOR][/B] -
Intel Q9400 [I](3.6Ghz OC)[/I]
Asus P5Q Deluxe / 8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800
MSI 6970 Afterburner 2GB / Asus Xonar DX
Crucial M4 128GB SSD / Seagate 640GB
Lite-On DVD/RW w/ Lightscribe
XFX XXX-Edition 650W PSU
[COLOR="Red"]Enzotech / Swiftech / Koolance[/COLOR][/CENTER]
autobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-09, 02:08 AM   #10
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Re: Duke Nukem Court Battle Getting Nasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobot View Post
I would be pissed too if I payed a company $400,000 dollars to produce a game in '97 and to this day still has NOT sen any return whatsoever. I think after 4 years, game publishers should just cut their ties if the game developer doesn't provide any proof that there are any milestones being met. Whats stupid is that in 2008 they gave them another $2.5 MILLION dollars after waiting 11 years with no product! While it is lame that they gave them the extra money, I think that they should have all rights to DNF. 3DR screwed them over BLATANTLY and should pay the price for their foolishness.
just because they don't publicly show what was done, doesn't mean they haven't shown anything to the publisher. Us consumers are the last to know.
__________________
Windows 8 the next big failure, right after Windows ME
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-09, 05:18 AM   #11
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen
 
NaitoSan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,069
Default Re: Duke Nukem Court Battle Getting Nasty

I think they're going to lose a lot of money even if they're innocent. Getting a lawyers and whatnot do cost money. Being sued several times will hurt you especially you don't have much money like big studios do. They will keep suing and spend money until you're broke.
__________________
17-inch MacBook Pro: Unibody | Intel Core 2 T9800 @ 2.93GHz | Nvidia 9400M GT / 9600M GT 512MB GDDR3 | 320GB 7200RPM SATA | 4GB DDR3 PC1066 | Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard | Windows 7 Professional x64

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-09, 05:49 AM   #12
Atomizer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 379
Default Re: Duke Nukem Court Battle Getting Nasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobot View Post
I would be pissed too if I payed a company $400,000 dollars to produce a game in '97 and to this day still has NOT sen any return whatsoever. I think after 4 years, game publishers should just cut their ties if the game developer doesn't provide any proof that there are any milestones being met. Whats stupid is that in 2008 they gave them another $2.5 MILLION dollars after waiting 11 years with no product! While it is lame that they gave them the extra money, I think that they should have all rights to DNF. 3DR screwed them over BLATANTLY and should pay the price for their foolishness.
Who gives a crap about the publisher? Wont someone PLEASE think of the fans?!..meh, I dont care, the whole thing is a joke
Atomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.