Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-17-09, 08:38 PM   #37
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Default Re: cpu Cooling solutions...what do you use?

I.C.E. Cooling system (it's a SN78SH7 barebone), quite a weird cooling unit as it uses socket 478 mounting holes for an AM2+ setup but it does a decent job (if you take something like 40-42C at idle, under load it's something like 55-57C) and it's not very noisy.

If it weren't for the fact I'll wait for xmas to sell this one and get a new one, I'd try water cooling on it
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-09, 10:25 PM   #38
betterdan

Update:
Got the Black Knight from Newegg today and installed it. The bad thing is it doesn't quite fit in my case, it sticks out maybe a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch too far but ah well I'll mod the side panel somehow cause the Black Knight has definately found a new home in my computer

Ok running stock clocks and Prime 95 for a little over an hour got me a high of 51C and idle was around 33C

I bumped the fsb up to 377 which gave me 3.2GHZ on the cpu and after running Prime 95 for an hour I get a high of 53C and idle is around 34C

I'm gonna try next for a fsb of 400 and that's probably as far as I'll push it. Should I turn off Intel Speed Step in the bios and the other one like it C1 or whatever it is? If it is helping keep the cpu cooler at idle I don't mind it being on but I have heard it can cause trouble with overclocking sometimes.
Anyways I'll post back if I can hit 400fsb safely and with good temps.
Old 06-17-09, 11:55 PM   #39
betterdan

Ok I set it at 400fsb x 8.5 for 3.4ghz and set the memory at 1280 and it booted up fine and idled at 37C and after an hour of Prime 95 it hit a high of 61C. I'll probably leave it there.

Damn this Dark Knight cooler rocks!
Old 06-18-09, 01:47 AM   #40
betterdan

Left the cpu at 3.4GHZ (fast enough for me) then tightened my memory timings to 7,7,7,18 from stock 8,8,8,21 then set the cpu to 1.25v instead of auto and now after running Prime 95 for 1 hour it hits a max temp of around 55C

I'm gonna leave Prime 95 running tonight. I gotta get up at 7am to go to work so I'll see if it's still running fairly cool and error free then.

Update: Ok it ran overnight and when I stopped it 5 hours later it was still running error free and the highest temp was 56C so it looks like I'll leave it at 3.4GHZ but I went aheadand changed the memory divider to give me 1333mhz on the ram, I don't know why I didn't do that before.
Old 06-18-09, 10:57 AM   #41
Maverick123w

Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w

How was the actual installation, it's the cooler I'm thinking of picking up. Nice temps btw
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-09, 11:23 AM   #42
betterdan

The installation was pretty easy. The directions were ok. I ended up putting the fan on wrong at first. The instructions that came with it said they recommend putting it on the 2nd heatsink fin but they didn't say the 2nd one on the top or the bottom (the fan is taller than the heatsink fins so it will either stick up above or below it) I put it on the top 2nd fin and then when I was finished I realized it should be on the 2nd bottom fin so the fan can be flush at the top and hang below the heat fins to blow on other components via the "spoiler"

Another thing is you have to bolt it on your motherboard before you put the fan on which the instructions do have that step first but since I thought I knew it all I skipped that.
If you put the fan on first there is no way to get to the screws underneath to tighten it down.

The little rubber thingies that hold the fan against the heatsink were actually pretty simple and I thought a very cool idea to reduce vibration.

The bad part like I said was that it was too tall for my case but I'll think of something to do.

Oh and I also used Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste. The cooler didn't come with any although the instructions implied that they did.
Old 06-18-09, 12:40 PM   #43
Maverick123w

Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post
The installation was pretty easy. The directions were ok. I ended up putting the fan on wrong at first. The instructions that came with it said they recommend putting it on the 2nd heatsink fin but they didn't say the 2nd one on the top or the bottom (the fan is taller than the heatsink fins so it will either stick up above or below it) I put it on the top 2nd fin and then when I was finished I realized it should be on the 2nd bottom fin so the fan can be flush at the top and hang below the heat fins to blow on other components via the "spoiler"

Another thing is you have to bolt it on your motherboard before you put the fan on which the instructions do have that step first but since I thought I knew it all I skipped that.
If you put the fan on first there is no way to get to the screws underneath to tighten it down.

The little rubber thingies that hold the fan against the heatsink were actually pretty simple and I thought a very cool idea to reduce vibration.

The bad part like I said was that it was too tall for my case but I'll think of something to do.

Oh and I also used Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste. The cooler didn't come with any although the instructions implied that they did.
Sounds good, thanks for the quick reply.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-09, 01:58 PM   #44
XDanger
Whaaat?

For the case ,How about cutting a hole in the side-panel and adding a flat piece of whatever on stand-offs of some kind

Or you get a side panel window kit and some mesh and hammer out a bulge in it

Or you could install a 140mm fan on the side but have it raised somehow

Or you could just leave the side panel off

Old 06-18-09, 02:15 PM   #45
betterdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDanger View Post
For the case ,How about cutting a hole in the side-panel and adding a flat piece of whatever on stand-offs of some kind.
Yea I could do that. I also was thinking that since the parts that are hitting the side panel are the little nubby ends of the heat pipes as seen on the top here

I could just drill holes in the side where the little nubs could stick through. The hard part would be to drill them in the exact right spot so they could slip through the holes when the side panel is slid on. I could also just cut multiple vent holes in the side there where the nubs are. For now the side panel is on but only slid into the front and sticking out on the back so it's actually not a big rush.
I also bought a 120mm red led fan from Newegg in case I needed to cut the side panel and get more air in to help cool but as of now I really don't need it.
Old 06-19-09, 06:56 PM   #46
musman
I Derail Threads

No one is using the Noctua NH-U12P Cooler?
that's what I have.
Antec Nine Hundred case. Core I-7 920 @ 3.56GHz, Noctua NH-U12P Cooler, EVGA 01G-P3-1180-AR GeForce GTX-285 1GB, EVGA GT-240 Superclocked 512Mb used as a Physx card, DFI LANPARTY JR X58-T3H6, OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1600 7-7-7-18, Intel X25-V SSD, used as a boot drive, 2X Seagate 500Gig 32MB Cache 7200RPM in RAID 0, Logitec G-15 keyboard, Logitech MX-518 Mouse, CH Combatstick 568, Xboc Controller, LG L227WTG-PF 22" LCD Monitor 1680x1050. Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit. Speakers: KRK Rokit8 studio monitors.

http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/media/customer.jpg
musman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-09, 02:59 AM   #47
betterdan

Well I couldn't leave well enough alone and raised the fsb up to 412 now giving me 3.5GHZ on the cpu at 1.25v and running the memory at 1374MHZ and 1.6v with tighter timings than they are rated at . Ran Prime 95 for 3 hours and it got up to about 56C and no errors.

I also ran the OCCT CPU Linpak test for 1 hour with no errors and max temp was around 65C
I then ran 4 instances of Memtest for a little over an hour and 0 errors.
Old 06-20-09, 07:10 AM   #48
grey_1

Looks sweet betterdan.

Posting pics of the modified case? I want to see the super accurate holes you drill for the heat pipes.