Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-09, 12:21 PM   #13
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Re: Revenge of the PC!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Comparing the PC's most everyone has on these forums to consoles there is about an $800 difference in price. Look how outdated mine is and my CPU/Mobo/RAM add up to the price of a new 360. When these parts were new they added up to over that ($200 for Mobo, $200 for CPU, $80 for ram, that's a 160GB PS3).

Then there's the monitor, the case, KB&M, graphics card, power supply, etc.
you are missing one point, what can you do on PC vs Console. Console is one trick pony.
Old 06-19-09, 12:24 PM   #14
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
you are missing one point, what can you do on PC vs Console. Console is one trick pony.
You don't buy a console expecting to use it for anything other than gaming and multimedia purposes. The point is moot.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 06-19-09, 01:22 PM   #15
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

no its not moot, everyone that has a console, also buys PCs. difference is that PC they usually buy is from a store.

Comparing price between a complete PC and Console is also not accurate. Most people have PCs, some might be rather old. But price difference should be considered how much it cost to turn that PC that people own into a gaming PC, in most cases all you need is decent video card. That is about 100-160 for decent ATI or Nvidia card.

More house holds have PC then Console. If a house hold has a PC, and they want to play games, what is more reasonable investment, 100-160 for video card, or 250-400 for console? And then spend 3-4 times more per game (European game prices).

People in Europe understand that, that is why MS is using their "force 360 games down their throats strategy" and made official statements that they won't do simotenous PCs release because they want to force people to buy RROD_box.

Back to the one trick-pony statement. Recently I upgraded my Q6600 based system to i7. For price of that upgrade I could have bought a PS3, Wii and few games.
But in my book that would not be worth it
A) there are only maybe 3-5 games on those consoles that are exclusive and actually intrest me, 1 not being even released yet.
B) that is it, what else could I do with them? Blu-ray player? I have HTPC for that, running XBMC.
C) with PC upgrade not only will it play newer games, current games better, but also gained speed in all tasks, faster video encoding, and massive ammount of multi-tasking. Thanks to 8 threads I can run video encoding on 4, and a game on 4 threads with no slow downs.
Old 06-19-09, 01:33 PM   #16
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

The fact that the PS3 is also a damn good Blu-Ray player was one of the main reasons I felt it was worth buying a few months after launch for $400... consoles aren't one-trick-ponies all the time.

Ease of use is the main reason consoles rule the roost though... the mass market always, ALWAYS, goes for ease of use over quality. If PCs ever become as easy to game on as consoles they could win the majority of the market, but in order to make that happen they will have to curtail many of the things that makes PC better than console in the first place.

Also, developers like the ease of use as well, as far as ease of development. PCs would have to address that as well.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
Old 06-19-09, 01:41 PM   #17
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
The fact that the PS3 is also a damn good Blu-Ray player was one of the main reasons I felt it was worth buying a few months after launch for $400... consoles aren't one-trick-ponies all the time.Also, developers like the ease of use as well, as far as ease of development. PCs would have to address that as well.
That should never been in the same post, considering when PS3 was released there were numerous articles how PS3 is a nightmare to develop for.
Old 06-19-09, 02:56 PM   #18
Tuork
Official pain in the ass

Send a message via MSN to Tuork

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
The reason consoles exist is because console people are too lazy to use a PC for gaming. Upgrades, maintanence, installation, etc. Consoles thrive because people are just want to just be lazy and stupid.
This is the single most retarded thing I've ever heard a PC fanboy say.

Yeah, the reason I don't use a PC is because I'm too lazy and stupid. Of course. Why didn't you tell me before?
This means I'm too lazy and stupid to have a major in Computer Science with a minor in visual Computing.
It also must mean that the past 3 gaming rigs I've built and maintained are a mistake.

Thank you for helping me see the light.

Dimitri:
Dell XPS M1530
Core2Duo T5550 1.86Ghz | 3GB DDR2 | 8600M GT 256MB | 250GB Hdd | BenQ FP202W 20" LCD | MX1000 mouse | Inspire T5400 5.1
Old 06-19-09, 03:27 PM   #19
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuork View Post
This is the single most retarded thing I've ever heard a PC fanboy say.

Yeah, the reason I don't use a PC is because I'm too lazy and stupid. Of course. Why didn't you tell me before?
This means I'm too lazy and stupid to have a major in Computer Science with a minor in visual Computing.
It also must mean that the past 3 gaming rigs I've built and maintained are a mistake.

Thank you for helping me see the light.
truth hurts sometimes. If you have 3 gaming rigs why would you ever use a crappy console?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
Old 06-19-09, 03:58 PM   #20
Ancient76
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
The fact that the PS3 is also a damn good Blu-Ray player was one of the main reasons I felt it was worth buying a few months after launch for $400... consoles aren't one-trick-ponies all the time.

Ease of use is the main reason consoles rule the roost though... the mass market always, ALWAYS, goes for ease of use over quality. If PCs ever become as easy to game on as consoles they could win the majority of the market, but in order to make that happen they will have to curtail many of the things that makes PC better than console in the first place.

Also, developers like the ease of use as well, as far as ease of development. PCs would have to address that as well.
What ease of use? You mean Cell? And developers make games on PC, not on consoles.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Core 2 Duo E8400 4.2GHz / Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu
Asus P5Q Pro
Kingston DDR2 / 2x2GB
MSI 5850 Twin Frozr II
ASUS 22" VW220T
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA II
Corsair HX620W
Sharkoon Rebel 9

Old 06-19-09, 04:00 PM   #21
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
truth hurts sometimes. If you have 3 gaming rigs why would you ever use a crappy console?????
"truth"? That's just your malformed opinion. There are plenty of reasons to use a console, but you're too stubborn to consider any of them. Why even bother talking about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
Back to the one trick-pony statement. Recently I upgraded my Q6600 based system to i7. For price of that upgrade I could have bought a PS3, Wii and few games.
But in my book that would not be worth it
You're not wrong, but you're talking about a subjective analysis of value, which is why I said the point was moot. Not that it was stupid or anything.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 06-19-09, 04:46 PM   #22
Tuork
Official pain in the ass

Send a message via MSN to Tuork

I gather the following conclusions from this thread:

Ninjas are smart.

Mailmen... not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2
I've built 3 gaming rigs over the years, sequentially. Over the years my interests have shifted and I sold my latest rig and now own an xbox360.
How bizarre is that, huh? People having different opinions and likings. Crazy world we live in.

Dimitri:
Dell XPS M1530
Core2Duo T5550 1.86Ghz | 3GB DDR2 | 8600M GT 256MB | 250GB Hdd | BenQ FP202W 20" LCD | MX1000 mouse | Inspire T5400 5.1
Old 06-19-09, 04:57 PM   #23
wysiwyg

traitor!!!

:P
Old 06-19-09, 05:25 PM   #24
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuork View Post
Mailmen... not so much.
have shifted and I sold my latest rig and now own an xbox360.
haha you bought an RRoD_Box... and you were calling me 'not smart'??

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
Closed Thread