Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Software Development

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-25-09, 02:28 AM   #1
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n
Default A quick jump start on VB

I have run into a situation at work (callcenter), where we were looking to take all the tracking forms and consolidating them into a single form... We outsource for Comcast, Cox, and Time Warner. Currently, we use about 8 different forms based on the different types of calls (incoming / outgoing), and the reason for the calls (pre-install, pre service call, survey, etc.).

From the impressions we've gotten from corporate and the data analyst, we wont have access to the network MSSQL server, no remote-hosted solutions, and no access to the network IIS server.

The first thing I thought of was the "CSV DB engine" a co-worker and I thought of using ActiveX, but I think we would probably run into file locking problems with concurrent connections.

The only thing that really came to mind is if we used VB and created a direct DSN to an access DB. Considering the hiring craze were getting into (yes were hiring like mad), I think Access would be able to handle all the connections, I would say 100-200 DB inserts at any given time.

Heres the problem... I don't know VB at all, never used it... I have a copy of VS2008 from my cousin (works for Oracle). Just wondering where would be a good place to get a jump start on using VB? As far as scripting experience goes, I know JS/PHP and thats about it.

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
....it's so clear how government makes things worse not better...
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-09, 04:41 AM   #2
supra
2JZ powered

Send a message via MSN to supra
Default Re: A quick jump start on VB

i wouldnt reccommend using access as a database for a application thats going to run alot of queries but if u really want to.

try googling ado.net with access
Old 05-25-09, 11:14 AM   #3
yehuda

You could use MySQL if costs are the reason you can't get MSSQL.
As far as tutorials, MS site has a lot of good resources and many good webcasts that cover beginner stuff.
I can't remember the address, but search around msdn.
yehuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-09, 11:37 AM   #4
ViN86

I would use MySQL. You can do it a few ways. There is a nice plugin available to write your own apps and have it run queries on the MySQL server. I have done it before with an indexing program I was working on a year ago that was designed to index files across networks.

The alternative is to host an Apache/MySQL server on a local network and run all your queries through that using a simple web page written in ASP or PHP.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-09, 11:03 AM   #5
AdamK47

You say they won't allow you access to the network SQL server, but do you have the ability to create your own SQL server and manage it yourself? I use VB.Net with Visual Studio 2008 every day now and have a Oracle database I manage myself for the app I'm developing.
AdamK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-09, 01:38 PM   #6
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

regardless of how you do it, you will need a central db of some kind for all the client apps to use.
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling
thor1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 01:58 AM   #7
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n

The skinny is corporate will not allow MySQL or anything else other than what we already have... IIS and the MSSQL server is off limits according to the IT guy, and a hosted solution is out of the question. In essence:

If it was up to me, it would've been LAMP a long time ago, but its a no go.

All we have left is Access... The only thing that we'll be doing is row inserts. No queries (except at the end of the day for reporting), no updates, just inserts on a form with maybe 12 fields.

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Old 05-28-09, 08:52 AM   #8
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

well you can tell the guy that without a central database of some kind (that's not access), only one user can use it at a time.
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling
thor1182 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-09, 10:27 AM   #9
ViN86

Why won't they allow MySQL?

It won't interfere with any of the other services they have running. You can run it on any port you want.

Why don't they ask you to host a live webpage without the Internet? That's practically what they're doing lol.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-09, 04:33 AM   #10
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

All I can say really is that upper management here is a bunch of nazis. If I could just make a standalone exe that interfaces with Access or appends to a CVS would be fine.

Its kinda funny considering the corporate office in Cali has a server using php/mysql.

Quote:
Old 06-14-09, 12:44 PM   #11
Zhivago
*BANNED*

This thread seems to have deviated from the original question, but as for the program, one way you can interface with the CVS file would be like this:

Client.exe ======> Server.exe ======>CVS

The server program would have some sort of queue, where new work that gets sent from clients via asynchronous network streams would get added into. The server just keeps on processing from the queue on a first-come-first-serve basis. If there is no work to process it just blocks (waits). This would remove any concurrency problems, as only server.exe would have direct access to the CVS.
Zhivago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-09, 02:25 PM   #12
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhivago View Post
This thread seems to have deviated from the original question, but as for the program, one way you can interface with the CVS file would be like this:

Client.exe ======> Server.exe ======>CVS

The server program would have some sort of queue, where new work that gets sent from clients via asynchronous network streams would get added into. The server just keeps on processing from the queue on a first-come-first-serve basis. If there is no work to process it just blocks (waits). This would remove any concurrency problems, as only server.exe would have direct access to the CVS.
Lol, thank you!

Question is, how is that done via client-side JS? I dont think it can be.

I'm quite certain that there are front-page extensions that can do this though, and I know we use it on some pages. Haven't used FrontPage in a while, but I distinctly remember something about being able to write directly to a file. I think that would be the best route.

Quote: