Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-22-09, 02:43 AM   #1
Ubuntaqua

Red face xine-vdpau use of external ffmpeg

Hello world,

Y compiled/installed xine-vdpau yesterday with the objective of getting me-tv (my dvb-t TV software) to use it. Hardware is 8600 GT on an AMD 3200+ CPU with 1Go RAM

Result :
1 - Regular dvb-t channels work fine (that is, CPU usage is now very low )
2 - "HD" channels which were to CPU intensive for me are now totally garbled : scores of graphics artefacts
3 - No sound.

1 - is good obviously
2 - is a mystery to me currently. The few "good" images I saw did show a lot of deinterlacing issue, but I haven't looked into that yet
3 - My best guess is that xine is now using its internal decoder. There was some note in the INSTALL file saying that by default it would use an internal "old" ffmpeg but that I should set it up to use an external newer one. Does that guess seem right to you ? How do I go about setting that up correctly ?

(note : vdpau with mplayer works really well on any content I have)

Regards,

Olivier
Ubuntaqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-09, 03:58 AM   #2
crisalide

Default Re: xine-vdpau use of external ffmpeg

Quote:
"HD" channels which were to CPU intensive for me are now totally garbled : scores of graphics artefacts
MPEG2 or H264? Any sample?

Quote:
No sound.
MPEG, AC3 or EAC3?

Quote:
My best guess is that xine is now using its internal decoder. There was some note in the INSTALL file saying that by default it would use an internal "old" ffmpeg but that I should set it up to use an external newer one. Does that guess seem right to you ? How do I go about setting that up correctly ?
ffmpeg isn't used for MPEG12, H264 or VC1.
crisalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-09, 04:12 AM   #3
Ubuntaqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisalide View Post
MPEG2 or H264? Any sample?
Most probably H264 : advertisers warns that is it a "MPEG-4" broadcast, incompatible with most dvb-t adapters sold with TVs. But the "MPEG-4' word in ads is to be taken with a grain of salt here (France), you never know what they are really reffering to.

Quote:
MPEG, AC3 or EAC3?
'will look into it

Quote:
ffmpeg isn't used for MPEG12, H264 or VC1.
Ok so I'm totally off topic .. :'(

I'll work on it this evening and give you some feedback.

Anyhow, the question remains ... How do I get xine to use an external ffmpeg ? (If I remember correctly, the autogen or configure scripts told me about that).

Thanks for the reply.

(i realise there's a lot of missing info here, I'll fill it up this evening)
Old 06-22-09, 04:21 AM   #4
crisalide

I'm also in France.
HD channels (tf1, france2, m6 and arte) are h264. It works mostly with xine-vdpau, but still some artifacts sometimes. We are looking at it.
Sound on these channels is EAC3. I'm also working on it, xine doesn't support eac3 yet.

And yes, we are unlucky since xine-vdpau works nice with most other HDTV streams
crisalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-09, 04:34 AM   #5
Ubuntaqua

Quote:
I'm also in France.
HD channels (tf1, france2, m6 and arte) are h264. It works mostly with xine-vdpau, but still some artifacts sometimes. We are looking at it.
Sound on these channels is EAC3. I'm also working on it, xine doesn't support eac3 yet.

And yes, we are unlucky since xine-vdpau works nice with most other HDTV streams
It's not **that** urgent for me, only Arte HD is detected by the channel scan. (Toulouse). The sound issue is the biggest one and I guess I did something wrong yesterday.

Thanks.
Old 06-22-09, 11:26 AM   #6
Stephen Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubuntaqua View Post
Most probably H264 : advertisers warns that is it a "MPEG-4" broadcast
Just as an FYI, the MPEG-4 standard is made up of a number of "parts". Part 2 is what's typically known as just MPEG-4, but part 10 is synonymous with H.264. Other parts describe a variety of other topics such as muxing/container formats, audio (I think), ... I'd guess the advertisers were just being a little imprecise.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-09, 08:22 AM   #7
Ubuntaqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
Just as an FYI, the MPEG-4 standard is made up of a number of "parts". Part 2 is what's typically known as just MPEG-4, but part 10 is synonymous with H.264. Other parts describe a variety of other topics such as muxing/container formats, audio (I think), ... I'd guess the advertisers were just being a little imprecise.
yeah but even more than that, they sometime pick up words in technical descriptions or in specs and put it around for all to see without any clue as to what they meen

I've seen a "Windows Media" movie player unable to read wmv for instance