Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-26-03, 02:51 PM   #13
Hanners
Elite Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by The Baron
What's the LOD bias on each card? The sharpness difference in the textures looks odd to me.
Didn't touch the LOD bias on either card. I think the sharpness difference is due to the poorer AF on the 44.03 drivers - The 45.23s looked much more comparable to the 9800 Pro in that department, but seeing as those drivers weren't even rendering the whole scene I couldn't possibly justify using them for image quality comparisons.
Old 09-26-03, 02:56 PM   #14
The Baron

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanners
Didn't touch the LOD bias on either card. I think the sharpness difference is due to the poorer AF on the 44.03 drivers - The 45.23s looked much more comparable to the 9800 Pro in that department, but seeing as those drivers weren't even rendering the whole scene I couldn't possibly justify using them for image quality comparisons.
I figured you didn't touch it... but don't different drivers have different defaults?

Then again, I'm not too familiar with AF changes after 44.03.
Old 09-26-03, 03:00 PM   #15
Hanners
Elite Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by XForce
Do the drivers and/or the benchmark force different modes of AA to the various cards (in addition to the 3x limit for Ati cards you mentioned)?
It's a bit strange really - The benchmarking modes offer the usual range of AA you would expect (up to 6x on the 9800 Pro, I forget how far it goes on the 5900), but when it comes to the automatic screenshot grabbing you have to select the AA mode from the main options screen - All it offers are non-maskable modes up to 3x for the Radeon and 4x for the 5900. I'm hoping to find out more about the whys etc from Massive themselves, but haven't so far.
Old 09-26-03, 11:04 PM   #16
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by The Baron
I figured you didn't touch it... but don't different drivers have different defaults?

Then again, I'm not too familiar with AF changes after 44.03.
I think he meant the poorer AF of 51.75, not 44.03.
Old 09-27-03, 04:04 AM   #17
Hanners
Elite Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
I think he meant the poorer AF of 51.75, not 44.03.
No, I didn't use the 51.75s at all, just 44.03 and 45.23. The AF quality for the 44.03 drivers were noticably worse.
Old 09-27-03, 04:13 AM   #18
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanners
No, I didn't use the 51.75s at all, just 44.03 and 45.23. The AF quality for the 44.03 drivers were noticably worse.
Do you have any screenshots of this(I did not see any)?

Because the AF quality between 44.03 and 45.23 seem the same based on what Toms showed. The sharpness of the ground textures looks the same, with the apparent difference in lighting being the major change.
Old 09-27-03, 04:45 AM   #19
Hanners
Elite Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
Do you have any screenshots of this(I did not see any)?

Because the AF quality between 44.03 and 45.23 seem the same based on what Toms showed. The sharpness of the ground textures looks the same, with the apparent difference in lighting being the major change.
I probably do have some of the 45.23 screenshots still saved, I'll knock up a little comparison GIF between the 44.03s and 45.23s and post it up here later if I have.