Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-24-09, 08:49 PM   #13
3DBrad

Default Re: id software bought by Zenimax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfctony View Post
Well, Doom 3 (also Prey/Quake 4) had a horrible plastic look. The creature shots of the idTech6 that have surfaced show the same exact thing...
That second shot isn't from id Tech 6 per se, and besides, it's a tech demo of massive amounts of geometric detail being stored via voxels, or sparse octree ray-casting. It isn't a demo to show off new HLSL shader tricks for skin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HScYuRhgEJw

Old 06-24-09, 11:42 PM   #14
Lfctony

I don't really id is all that great at this point. Sure, their engines are kind of nice, but I don't think they can deliver "games"... I'd say their efforts are average at best, IMO. Also to me it seemed that their latest engine lacked versatility. Take a look at Doom 3/Q4/Prey/Quake Wars... Almost identical. It was like being in a Doom 3 mod... Hopefully some developers will buy a license and modify the hell out of it like they did with the Tech 3 engine...
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-09, 02:16 AM   #15
jolle

Quote:
The creature shots of the idTech6 that have surfaced show the same exact thing...
That was not from idTech6 though, I think that was established.
You dont use voxels for characters, they dont animate well.
Old 06-25-09, 04:53 AM   #16
jlippo

Quote:
I don't really id is all that great at this point. Sure, their engines are kind of nice, but I don't think they can deliver "games"... I'd say their efforts are average at best, IMO. Also to me it seemed that their latest engine lacked versatility. Take a look at Doom 3/Q4/Prey/Quake Wars... Almost identical. It was like being in a Doom 3 mod... Hopefully some developers will buy a license and modify the hell out of it like they did with the Tech 3 engine...
You do remember that Doom3 was originally meant for geforce1-4..
Those games used pretty much same shader (meaning a single shader), except for the quake wars which had some new tweaks.

Now that they have flexibility of SM3, the art design is the limiting factor and seems like they really have got some good people that at the moment.
It is very interesting to see what they will do with idtech5 as it has some very nice ideas.

Idtech6 is if I remember correctly still without any actual work, remember Carmack saying that he would go to the tech trip after summer.
Personally I would love them to use something like Giga Voxels which make prefiltering of geometry possible. (easy and fast anti-aliasing and other benefits, the Jon Olicks demo had only on/off voxels.)
jlippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-09, 09:28 AM   #17
Lfctony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolle View Post
That was not from idTech6 though, I think that was established.
You dont use voxels for characters, they dont animate well.
I don't want to be right about this. I'm all for new engines and stuff. I'm just not confident...

jlippo, I hope you are right about id Tech 5...
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-09, 09:44 AM   #18
jolle

Quote:
I don't want to be right about this. I'm all for new engines and stuff. I'm just not confident...
Seems like the guy who´s behind that tech demo from Siggraph works at id though.
But it seems like a proof of concept thing about realtime sparse voxel octree usage.
Using what looks like the default zbrush material.
not a ingame thing though, you wouldnt use that tech on characters.
And at any rate the material used is sorta irrelevant.

It might still be shiny, but that video is nothing to draw conclusions from.