Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-23-09, 12:06 AM   #1
inotuno

Default Thanks Nvidia, for the continued Linux support.

I know it's probably off topic and I will probably get in trouble for doing this but I am just floored at what I am seeing here. Support from nvidia on their Linux drivers by nvidia personnel as well as the community at large!

I have to say, I walked away from nvidia on Linux about 4 years ago. At that time, ati was making big inroads into Linux with their binary drivers.

What happened after that became the stuff of nightmares for me. I continued to have faith in ATI's desire in supporting the Linux community with their binary drivers, and they continued to let down. Their drivers became buggier and buggier, each kernel release and driver update would crash my system, I removed and re-installed the driver manually so many times, I shudder to remember this.

I understand some of this is because the drivers are closed source. But now, I have waited for over one year for the much vaunted, radeon and radeonhd open source drivers to have 3d acceleration. I recently updated my OS and went to install ATI's binary driver, guess what? It doesn't work with the current kernel.

At this point, I have become completely fed up with ATI.

I stumbled on this forum from nvidia's site and saw there were nvidia cards working with the current kernel in the version of the OS I am using and felt a sense of resolve. Tonight I purchased my first nvidia card in 4 years.

Thank you nvidia for your Linux support. Please keep it up. Binary drivers or not, it's nice to be able to purchase a video card and have it work as expected in Linux!
inotuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-09, 03:22 AM   #2
Arup

Default Re: Thanks Nvidia, for the continued Linux support.

Don't worry, I just ditched an expensive dual GPU ATI4850 for a cheap nvidia 8400 which blows away ATI in Ubuntu, you can well imagine the difference nvidia drivers make, sadly now my ATI just lies unused.
Arup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-09, 04:12 AM   #3
meskalamdug

Yeah thanks,latest series 100 very
good.
Works all and fine.
meskalamdug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-09, 08:44 AM   #4
Ubuntaqua

I would be just **so** good if they didn't replace 1/3 of the X stack to get their driver working and really __use__ the infrastructure built for them by the community...
It'll probably never happen with that blob, but yeah, at least it's working.
Ubuntaqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-09, 01:14 PM   #5
thefirstm

You must remember that when Nvidia actually began to replace the X stack, many of today's technologies (EXA/UXA, Gallium3D, etc.) were not in existence. When this occurred, replacing the X stack was the only way to gain acceptable/fast 2D performance and blazing 3D.
thefirstm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-09, 02:21 PM   #6
sl1pkn07

only one pettition....

support for VDPAU on 7950GX2!!!!!!!
sl1pkn07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-09, 10:08 PM   #7
clarious

Well, yeah, while this isn't the best solution, at least it works. So thanks Nvidia

BTW, why the nvidia kernel module size in the memory is so big? (10MBs)
clarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-09, 10:21 PM   #8
thefirstm

Just lots of code, I guess. At one point, the Nvidia drivers for Windows were tipping the scales at ~100MB (for the whole archive.) I don't think it really matters though, on modern PCs with 4GB+ of RAM.
thefirstm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-09, 11:19 AM   #9
Ubuntaqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefirstm View Post
You must remember that when Nvidia actually began to replace the X stack, many of today's technologies (EXA/UXA, Gallium3D, etc.) were not in existence. When this occurred, replacing the X stack was the only way to gain acceptable/fast 2D performance and blazing 3D.
Of course.

I'm not bragging at nVidia in any way and yes, I realize the pain of developping a driver for a moving target (moving kernel ABI, moving X feature set, ....). Releasing part of the chip's spec may be a solution to that problem, though and letting the community do what they've been wanting to do for some years (also known as "helping"). (and yes I realise how difficult all this may be).

It's not a debate to decide which solution is better (today, nvidia blob is the best way for those who don't care about loading a binary only driver). Let's see how this evolves over a few years.

It seems integration with X **is** difficult, anyway you look at it.
Ubuntaqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-09, 11:35 AM   #10
hhg42

i agree, its great to have all this great stuff running on linux
hhg42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-09, 01:06 PM   #11
inotuno

Quick follow up. Thanks again nvidia! I received my new card two days ago. Downloaded and installed the drivers, which went flawlessly. Great news! I have since been enjoying my experience with the new card. Having drivers with working 3d acceleration has changed my entire Linux experience for the better! Desktop resolution is perfect, desktop effects are wonderful, window resizing and movement is perfect and fast, my glslideshow screensaver is now working properly, video playback and encoding is much faster, etc.

I did have one issue with some games, which seemed to be related to the bug 497809 for Fedora 11, which I discovered and posted a workaround for that worked for me.

All in all this has been a great experience with nvidia, I'm just kicking myself now wondering why I stuck with ATI for so long in such a crippled state!

Take care everyone!
inotuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-09, 01:31 PM   #12
Txema

Yeah, thanks guys!

You're the best!!
Txema is offline   Reply With Quote