Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-23-09, 07:18 PM   #1
oopstastic

Default All drivers from 180 onward hang my system on X start

All NVIDIA drivers since (and including) 180.22 crash my system as soon as X tries to start. The last working driver for me was 177.82.

When X tries to start, the screen goes black, followed by a quick flash of what looks like a white text-mode cursor moving to random positions on a black background, then more black. After a while, the caps-lock and scroll-lock lights on my keyboard light up. The only way out of this is a hard reboot.

I had a hard time finding anything in the Xorg.N.log files. Typically the system does not get a chance to write it to disk. I have been experimenting with the SysRq-S command to sync the disk, and I have been able to see some output after rebooting.

I am attaching one such Xorg.N.log file, but I cannot guarantee that the SysRq-S command actually worked. It did not give me any feedback. Unfortunately, I did not have the NVIDIA bug reporting checklist in front of me at the time, so I didn't run X with the --logverbose 6 setting.

I am also attaching a log file from when I ran a test on 180.44 several months back. I think I did turn the verbosity up for that test. It was a while back so the driver version is older as well as my kernel and Xorg versions. At the time I was running a current Fedora 10 system.

This problem has been very frustrating -- especially because I only had my system for a month before the 180 series was released and things started breaking. I am now in a position where I cannot even run the 177.82 driver anymore because it doesn't support the latest kernels.

I ran the nvidia-bug-report.sh tool and emailed linux-bugs@nvidia.com a detailed description back in January when I first had this problem. I have not heard any response yet, so I thought I would try here.

I can't be the only one having this problem, but I don't see it mentioned elsewhere. I would appreciate any help you can give.

Kernel: 2.6.29.4-167.fc11.x86_64

My hardware:
Processor: Intel i7 920
Chipset: Intel X58
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-DS4
RAM: 6GB DDR3-1066
Video: Gigabyte GV-N98XPZL-1GH GeForce 9800 GTX+ 1GB (10de:0612 (rev a2))
Video BIOS: 62.92.62.00.10
Attached Files
File Type: log Xorg.0.log (4.9 KB, 66 views)
File Type: log nvidia_180.44_crash_Xorg.0.log (6.2 KB, 69 views)
oopstastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-09, 09:20 AM   #2
oopstastic

Default Re: All drivers from 180 onward hang my system on X start

I found a post on forums.nvidia.com that specifically mentions the GV-N98XPZL-1GH having this exact problem with the Windows driver.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=84478

I also found that Gigabyte has a BIOS update dated 02/24/2009 that claims to "Fix black screen Issue after installing new driver". This is version F12 (NVIDIA Source BIOS Version: 62.92.59.00.10)

I have downloaded the new BIOS, but I am now trying to figure out how to flash it on my system. My PC doesn't have Windows or a floppy drive!

I'll post a reply when I am able to try the new BIOS.
Old 06-30-09, 08:31 PM   #3
oopstastic

Default Re: All drivers from 180 onward hang my system on X start

The new BIOS fixed the problem!

I had to boot from a pre-built freedos image via grub to run nvflash but it went smoothly.

I am now able to run the latest drivers from rpmfusion.