Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-01-09, 12:47 PM   #25
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: The 'burbs, IL USA
Posts: 12,502
Default Re: Microsoft is offering Windows 7 at half off...but??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
I don't really understand what you mean by that.

I already pre-ordered Windows 7 HP... can I actually use it or is it worthless to me if I'm using Vista Ultimate?

If I have to do a clean install that's ok, but if there's any chance it won't work, I'm going to cancel my preorder.
To do a clean install with an upgrade disc, boot, format, and install Windows like you normally would. When the installer asks for the CD key, leave the field blank. This will put Windows into "trial" mode. Once that gets installed, repeat the install procedure, this time entering the CD key. This basically tricks the installer into thinking that you're actually upgrading. It will move all existing data from the first install into a folder and create new directories and so forth. It'll basically be a clean install, it just takes longer and uses more drive space (which you can always free up once you're fully up and running).

I wish MS would have gone back to the old method of allowing full, clean installs from upgrade discs by allowing you to put in a previous full-version disc in the drive for verification.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-09, 12:50 PM   #26
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Re: Microsoft is offering Windows 7 at half off...but??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
I don't really understand what you mean by that.

I already pre-ordered Windows 7 HP... can I actually use it or is it worthless to me if I'm using Vista Ultimate?

If I have to do a clean install that's ok, but if there's any chance it won't work, I'm going to cancel my preorder.
what saturn said is excactly what i meant just more detailed. But you still won't be able to do upgrade from Ultimate to HP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
To do a clean install with an upgrade disc, boot, format, and install Windows like you normally would. When the installer asks for the CD key, leave the field blank. This will put Windows into "trial" mode. Once that gets installed, repeat the install procedure, this time entering the CD key. This basically tricks the installer into thinking that you're actually upgrading. It will move all existing data from the first install into a folder and create new directories and so forth. It'll basically be a clean install, it just takes longer and uses more drive space (which you can always free up once you're fully up and running).

I wish MS would have gone back to the old method of allowing full, clean installs from upgrade discs by allowing you to put in a previous full-version disc in the drive for verification.
__________________
Windows 8 the next big failure, right after Windows ME
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-09, 01:08 PM   #27
CaptNKILL
CUBE
 
CaptNKILL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 18,844
Default Re: Microsoft is offering Windows 7 at half off...but??

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
what saturn said is excactly what i meant just more detailed. But you still won't be able to do upgrade from Ultimate to HP.
So...

I can use the upgrade version on its own by upgrading itself, but I can't upgrade my current Vista install.

Meaning, I'll be able to use it, it'll just take a little longer to install than if I had a proper Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade.

Are you guys sure that this is going to work in Windows 7? That seems like a pretty huge mistake on their part to allow an upgrade to be used on an unlicensed OS.
__________________
---- Primary Rig ---- CoolerMaster 690 II Advance - Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 4.0Ghz + Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
6GB DDR2 @ 942Mhz 5-5-5-20 1.9v (2x1Gb Wintec AMPX PC2-8500 & 2x2Gb G.Skill PC2-6400) - EVGA Geforce GTX 470 @ 750/1500/1850 (1.050v)
Sparkle Geforce GTS 250 1Gb Low-Profile (Physx) - Crucial RealSSD C300 64Gb SSD - Seagate 7200.12 500Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-09, 01:29 PM   #28
XDanger
Whaaat?
 
XDanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,723
Default Re: Microsoft is offering Windows 7 at half off...but??

Whats the OEM prices?
__________________
2500K 4.4ghz,P8P67Pro,120gb Force3, 12gb Vengeance,R9290,TX850v2,W7HP,LaCie Blue 22" crt COMMODORE 64 Silver Label 1Mhz/128D 4Mhz(Z80)
XDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-09, 01:48 PM   #29
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: The 'burbs, IL USA
Posts: 12,502
Default Re: Microsoft is offering Windows 7 at half off...but??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
So...

I can use the upgrade version on its own by upgrading itself, but I can't upgrade my current Vista install.
Correct.

Quote:
Meaning, I'll be able to use it, it'll just take a little longer to install than if I had a proper Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade.
Also correct.

Quote:
Are you guys sure that this is going to work in Windows 7? That seems like a pretty huge mistake on their part to allow an upgrade to be used on an unlicensed OS.
I agree it's stupid, but I've not seen anything to indicate the upgrade process will be any different than how it was with Vista.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-09, 01:57 PM   #30
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: Microsoft is offering Windows 7 at half off...but??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
So...

I can use the upgrade version on its own by upgrading itself, but I can't upgrade my current Vista install.

Meaning, I'll be able to use it, it'll just take a little longer to install than if I had a proper Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade.

Are you guys sure that this is going to work in Windows 7? That seems like a pretty huge mistake on their part to allow an upgrade to be used on an unlicensed OS.
This is exactly what I did with Vista (I own an upgrade disc, even though I have XP, I like to do a clean install).

We haven't seen any information to contradict this process, so I guess it will work. I have pre-ordered Win 7 HP already as well.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-09, 02:02 PM   #31
XDanger
Whaaat?
 
XDanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,723
Default Re: Microsoft is offering Windows 7 at half off...but??

So there's no upgrade for EU countries because the E version has no IE and you cant upgrade something with IE already built into it?

Thanks EU you ****s.
__________________
2500K 4.4ghz,P8P67Pro,120gb Force3, 12gb Vengeance,R9290,TX850v2,W7HP,LaCie Blue 22" crt COMMODORE 64 Silver Label 1Mhz/128D 4Mhz(Z80)
XDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-09, 02:06 PM   #32
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: The 'burbs, IL USA
Posts: 12,502
Default Re: Microsoft is offering Windows 7 at half off...but??

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDanger View Post
So there's no upgrade for EU countries because the E version has no IE and you cant upgrade something with IE already built into it?

Thanks EU you ****s.
I'd say it's more that Microsoft hates the EU, and what they're doing is payback for all the grief they've caused. Hardly fair, but that's exactly what life is not.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-09, 02:17 PM   #33
XDanger
Whaaat?
 
XDanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,723
Default Re: Microsoft is offering Windows 7 at half off...but??

Well we do get the full version for 49 limited pre-order/79 "upgrade" as theres no proper upgrade version so not so bad (but not as good as 30 in the states).

The euro "upgrade" method involves backing up your files and doing a clean install then re-installing your files.

But...I paid about 66 for my Vista OEM, Now its 89 from the same place, Thats just bull****


I might buy the offer and hold onto it for my next motherboard.
__________________
2500K 4.4ghz,P8P67Pro,120gb Force3, 12gb Vengeance,R9290,TX850v2,W7HP,LaCie Blue 22" crt COMMODORE 64 Silver Label 1Mhz/128D 4Mhz(Z80)
XDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-09, 02:51 PM   #34
betterdan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Microsoft is offering Windows 7 at half off...but??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
I don't really understand what you mean by that.

I already pre-ordered Windows 7 HP... can I actually use it or is it worthless to me if I'm using Vista Ultimate?

If I have to do a clean install that's ok, but if there's any chance it won't work, I'm going to cancel my preorder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
what saturn said is excactly what i meant just more detailed. But you still won't be able to do upgrade from Ultimate to HP.
Uhh why didn't anyone read what I wrote? I explained how to do it in post 22 of this thread.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-09, 03:09 PM   #35
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Re: Microsoft is offering Windows 7 at half off...but??

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
I'd say it's more that Microsoft hates the EU, and what they're doing is payback for all the grief they've caused. Hardly fair, but that's exactly what life is not.
It wouldn't suprise me if they hate EU, I hate them as well. But the real reason is that they did that change last minute, and there was not enough time to test/develop proper upgrade process. What I would like to see from this is European customers finally voicing their opinions and tell EU to **** off.
__________________
Windows 8 the next big failure, right after Windows ME
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-09, 04:49 PM   #36
XDanger
Whaaat?
 
XDanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,723
Default Re: Microsoft is offering Windows 7 at half off...but??

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
It wouldn't suprise me if they hate EU, I hate them as well.
At least we are allowed to buy non-conformist vegetables now...
__________________
2500K 4.4ghz,P8P67Pro,120gb Force3, 12gb Vengeance,R9290,TX850v2,W7HP,LaCie Blue 22" crt COMMODORE 64 Silver Label 1Mhz/128D 4Mhz(Z80)
XDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.