Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-04-09, 07:33 PM   #1
lethal_falcon

Default Debian conversion from /emul to /usr/lib32

Since debian is transitioning away from /emul/ia32-linux/ by changing the symlink /usr/lib32/ to a directory, the 64-bit debian installer fails to install the 32-bit compatibility libraries. I have tested this on 185.18.14.

An easy solution would be to install the libraries in /usr/lib32/ rather than /emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib/. This will function correctly no matter the version of ia32-libs, due to there being a symlink there on older installs.

I have validated that the libraries will work by manually copying the contents of /usr/lib32/ in the installer to /usr/lib32/ on my system and then running ldconfig. No issues were reported running OpenGL apps in 32-bit mode afterward.
lethal_falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-09, 09:52 PM   #2
ledoc

Default Re: Debian conversion from /emul to /usr/lib32

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=135126
ledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-09, 10:11 PM   #3
lethal_falcon

Yes, I read that. However, I quite frankly have never had good luck with the debian packaged drivers, and the fact that they can't get them updated quickly enough (this issue has been around for awhile, now) is yet another reason why I use the drivers directly from Nvidia.

I made this thread to post a valid solution to the problem that Nvidia can implement so their drivers work properly. "It's fixed but you have to wait until the package developer gets around to uploading the package" doesn't cut it for me.
Old 07-05-09, 11:34 AM   #4
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Thanks, lethal_falcon. I filed a bug against the nvidia-installer bug module. In the meantime, you can use the --compat32-chroot, --compat32-prefix and --compat32-libdir command line arguments (see the `nvidia-installer` manual page for details) to adjust the default installation path on 64-bit Debian GNU/Linux installations.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-09, 11:46 AM   #5
lethal_falcon

Thanks. Those options would make it easy to use, as well. They aren't listed when you use the -A flag with the installer though. Might be good to include them, even though it already scrolls a mile when you use it. Guess I should learn to RTFM instead of depending on the short help.