Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-03-09, 05:45 PM   #49
DJ_Art

Default Re: Please make >71.86.07 compatible with xorg-server 1.5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
I'm afraid we currently have no plans to backport this support to the 71.86.* legacy driver series.
I'm afraid this is outrageous.

If anyway that is your final decision, then we (the customers) will have to ask from Nvidia to release those old drivers under a GPL open source license. Why don't you follow the example of ID Software ? When the product grows old, they handle it as a (very nice) gift back to the community!

We deserve this, actually. We have backed Nvidia up all these years in favor of ATI for providing better drivers' quality. There couldn't be any more profits by keeping these legacy drivers as closed source.

If you could only forward this common request to your superiors ....
DJ_Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-09, 01:01 PM   #50
dr_asfak

I demand support of all NVIDIA users to pursue NVIDIA corporation to opensource their old legacy driver. Please please support this movement.
dr_asfak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-09, 04:07 PM   #51
cbar213

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander View Post
We plan on updating the 71.86.xx family of legacy graphics driver releases for X.Org 1.5, but unfortunately, this will likely not happen in the near future.
The sad thing is...they originally said they would update the drivers.
Then they left us (those in need of the legacy drivers) hanging for about 8 months.
And now they do not plan on updating the driver?
This sure does not inspire customer loyalty!
cbar213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-09, 10:49 PM   #52
rapsure

Default Re: Please make > 71.86.07 < 96.0.0 compatible with xorg-server 1.5.x

Well part of my situation will be remedied soon. However I don't think that it is entirely equitable to leave those with the older graphics cards in as a frame buffer only device as the reason that those cards were purchased was for the 3d engines within. All of the distributions are either moving their stable release to use X.org server 1.5.x or newer or already have. Now I do know that the enterprise linux distributions haven't moved completely that direction but they will. Seeing as how the Enterprise versions of Redhat and Suse don't update their packages for years I'm pretty sure that those distributions will move to a much newer version on their next release cycles.

The Geforce 2 generation of cards can still play many of the games that are in Linux. But oh well. I was hoping that the drivers would be updated as that what was posted earlier. So what is the recommended setup for the older cards now?
rapsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-09, 05:24 AM   #53
leigh123linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbar213 View Post
The sad thing is...they originally said they would update the drivers.
Then they left us (those in need of the legacy drivers) hanging for about 8 months.
And now they do not plan on updating the driver?
This sure does not inspire customer loyalty!
Try ATI then
Old 07-06-09, 02:02 PM   #54
cbar213

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh123@linux View Post
Try ATI then
Sure...send me a card...
Old 07-06-09, 02:53 PM   #55
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

I understand your frustration, but please note that it was not my (or NVIDIA's) intention to mislead with my 11/04/08 post to this thread: at the time, we did have plans to back-port support for X.Org 1.5 to 71.86.xx.

However, the scope of the work (which my post predates) it took to update 96.43.xx turned out to be considerably greater than anticipated, and we can not currently justify the effort for 71.86.xx.

There is a small chance that we may add support in the future, but there currently are no plans to do so, as Aaron said.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-09, 04:17 PM   #56
cbar213

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander View Post
I understand your frustration, but please note that it was not my (or NVIDIA's) intention to mislead with my 11/04/08 post to this thread: at the time, we did have plans to back-port support for X.Org 1.5 to 71.86.xx.

However, the scope of the work (which my post predates) it took to update 96.43.xx turned out to be considerably greater than anticipated, and we can not currently justify the effort for 71.86.xx.

There is a small chance that we may add support in the future, but there currently are no plans to do so, as Aaron said.
My frustration had more to do with the fact that no one came out with a
statement (as you just did - and I thank you for doing so.) explaining
what was going on with the legacy drivers. I understand that users
should not expect you all to support these old cards forever.

And at least now we have a better understanding as to why there was a
change in plans to back-port support for X.Org 1.5 to 71.86.xx.

As for me, I only just recently encountered this issue when I updated to
X.Org 1.6 in Slackware current. So to get direct rendering back, I just
downgraded back to X.Org 1.4.2. And so far so good (no real major problems).

Anyway, Thanks for the more detailed explanation.
Cheers

Old 07-06-09, 05:20 PM   #57
leigh123linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbar213 View Post
Sure...send me a card...

I could send you a X1600 or a 9600XT, but they are both unsupported by ATI ( Ati dropped support for all cards less than the HD series)
Old 07-06-09, 06:24 PM   #58
cbar213

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh123@linux View Post
I could send you a X1600 or a 9600XT, but they are both unsupported by ATI ( Ati dropped support for all cards less than the HD series)
Thanks for the offer but I was actually just kidding.

I just hate to throw something away when it still works just fine
(of course that is if you do not upgrade beyond X.Org 1.4.2).

That is also why I still have a bunch of very old computers that I have not thrown out.
Seems like a total waste to me.

Cheers
Old 07-07-09, 12:17 AM   #59
rapsure

Porting the 71.86.* driver isn't exactly a linear time comparison to the 96.43.* as it has been done before. I am sure there is a fair amount of code that is shared between the two drivers. That is unless the driver was rewritten between that time which well I'm like very confident that did not happen because I used all of the drivers between 71.86.* to 96.43.*. Features were added such as the newer X acceleration so that Xrender was smooth which is named nvidia acceleration.

So I give some slack in the sense that the exa hooks were added to the driver to make the X desktop experience better. The 71.86.* behaves exactly like the X11 drivers that use the XAA acceleration. That gives me a really big hint on your driver design.

It also seems that your team is currently spending most of their time on getting the openCL driver ready for public consumption. That appears to be a very big deal at nvidia. Seeing as that is on the software side of things that includes the nvidia linux team.
rapsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-09, 08:04 AM   #60
mahsah

It has been 10 months since it is broken?. I think they just not going to support it. I have made my mind. Not to buy any nvidia card anymore. Intel is the way to go. It is best supported on linux.
mahsah is offline   Reply With Quote