Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-01-09, 02:04 AM   #13
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default Re: Starcraft II no lan?

Yeah, because this time who do we blame? Well pirates actually. This is probably the best way to get people to buy the game as there is no way to setup hamachi networks and the like.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-09, 03:32 AM   #14
supra
2JZ powered

Send a message via MSN to supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
If Blizz doesn't have LAN, someone will create it for everyone.
ya no doubt someone will create some sort of patch/hack to do it eventually.
Old 07-01-09, 04:44 AM   #15
Atomizer

"All things, bringeth new hack...eths"

or something, yes I suck at ye-olde english, whatever

While I am disappointed about no lan support(since I plan to buy it anyway), but at least finally some reasonable anti-piracy measures, I would prefer a better solution, but as long as the lans I goto have the net, ill be right.
Though itll soak up un-needed bandwidth, which is an issue in Australia due to download limits
Atomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-09, 11:44 AM   #16
stefan9

This shouldn't be an issue in most places but it is a major issue here in SA. With our very expensive and small bandwith capped internet and means many gamers will be restricted to the sp. Hopefully somebody comes up with a mod/workaround for lan.
2x2 gig ddr 2 1200 mhz ocz reaper ram
250 gig and 320 gig sata 2 seagate baracuda h/d
intel core2duo e8500
evga geforce 260gtx
sound max dts card
zalman 9500at
windows 7 home premium
stefan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-09, 09:54 PM   #17
Atomizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan9 View Post
This shouldn't be an issue in most places but it is a major issue here in SA. With our very expensive and small bandwith capped internet and means many gamers will be restricted to the sp. Hopefully somebody comes up with a mod/workaround for lan.
Yeah, they usually only think of people in America for the most part, with mostly uncapped internet.
It will definently hurt lans....obviously due to no lan play :P
Atomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-09, 10:18 PM   #18
JasonPC

They obviously aren't thinking about people who live in rural areas either.
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-09, 11:19 PM   #19
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

With my understanding of tcpip, and that starcraft will still use one persons PC as a host/server, if you are playing computers on a LAN then tcpip trafic will not need to cross over into the internet for the main game (only things like instant message request and other battle.net traffic).
Old 07-06-09, 05:59 AM   #20
pakotlar

the mandibils of restriction due to financial imperative.... tbh it is a blessing that companies are using creative solutions to maximize profitability of their pc-centric titles. i'm very glad we are still seeing pc-centric titles.

pc gaming wil inevitebly go the way of consoles, with tightly monitored, specialized digital clouds restricting and homogenizing the platform. i'm guessing steam-like anti-piracy measures will become standard. good for blizzard for not using this as an excuse for making the 360 the lead platform and giving us Starcraft : C&C 3 or Halo Wars 2.

I'm hoping to see pc and console gaming environments sharing a developnig landscape that is 100% standardized and modular: so those of us with great hardware can mazimize that by choosing more advanced lighting models and better textures, higher-poly/voxel models, while those of us with consoles can choose the [usual] advantages console gaming offers over pc's (plug &play compat., using from couch).

I would love to get to the point where developers develop more with certain interaction interfaces in mind, rather than certain platforms (at least with regards to console vs. pc). so like there is easy keyboard & mouse compat. with consoles, and the game dev knows that they are ok to develop with k&m in mind, because all platforms support that as an option. it will be easier to justify. I absolutely hate to see simplified design due to a frickin control scheme.

the future is not bright for PC-gaming right now because of the giant console figure looming over that industry. but there should be solutions in place down the road which make for a return to pc-centric titles, so us super-geeks can get back to enjoying complex & gritty & highly flexible, powerful titles.

dx:iw2 and thief 3 come to mind as some of the biggest dissapointments in my gaming landscape, (especially thief 3 for the subtle, somewhat slippery, but clear experiential differences and the nagging root-canal feeling that it was due to cross-platform status that this was changed, or that design decision justified).

I am far off topic I know. I also did not read the OP. I hope this is either on point or rallies feeling in your heart.

Old 07-06-09, 08:36 AM   #21
K007

this...will suck balls for those who wanna lan if ure in AUS....i mean really...really suck balls...

UNLESS blizz implements something like smoothping/lowerping into there services...just to play ure friend sitting next to u would be hella gay with the lag...

i normally play wow on 350-400 ping, switched to smoothping and it dropped to arround 150-160....

the difference is day/night...my jaw was on the floor cause i couldn't belive how much of advantage USA players have against AUS players in arena...i mean...wow...my dk just went into bg right after and wrecked hell...(yes i know dk is op...)
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-09, 09:30 AM   #22
DenverBuc

Really, is this THAT big of a deal? For the very few who still use the LAN function on modern games?

Anyone here connect to Battlenet anymore? If you do, you know there is virtually no issue there ever. I would not expect that to change, so I fail to see the issue in the end.

The only legitimate worries I have heard / can think of are servers being down and bandwidth issues.

The first rarely if ever happens, so no concern there.

The second depends on your area, I guess, and is probably the only real concern left, but even that would only affect a small percentage of the people out there. Internet in most places can handle the volume and speed of traffic needed. For those that don't, I would expect internet speeds to catch up in your areas soon as seems to be the trend about everywhere lately.
DenverBuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-09, 10:07 AM   #23
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Sounds like nobody here has been updated. LAN is going to be included, it's just that you have to go through Battle.net 2.0 to do so. So even if you don't have an Internet connection, you can "log" into Battle.net via Offline type mode and go on your way.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-09, 06:30 PM   #24
jeong
GRS is MDS

Personally I couldn't care less since I will be getting the box on the 1st day. What I do care is is it really gonna come to us this year? W/ at least 4 months of beta testing, I think it's about some damn time they kick off the event if they are going to release it this year.

J1 \ J2

CPU: i7 940 @ 3.34GHz \ QX6700 @ 2.66GHz
Mobo: EVGA x58 SLI E758 \ Asus nforce 590i
RAM: OCZ DDR3 1600MHz 12GB @ 9-9-9-24 \ Micron DDR2 667MHz 4GB @ 5-5-5-15
HDD: 4TB WD C (2x Black, 1x Green) \ 4.5TB WD C (2x Black, 2x Green)
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 295 quad SLI \ BFG Geforce 8800 GTX
M & K: L NEW! G19 & G500 \ G15 & G5
SC: Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro
Headset: NEW! ATH-AD900 \ SS 5H V2 USB
PSU: Tt Toughpower 1200w \ CM RPP 750w
Case: A1200 \ Dell XPS 710
LCD: Dell U2410 H-IPS + LG L246WP-BN 24" P-MVA \ LG W2243T-PF 21.5" TN 1080p
Cooler: Megahalems + 2x Scythe S-F push/pull E/W
\ TRUE 120 + 1x tr push
jeong is offline   Reply With Quote