Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-05-09, 08:57 AM   #1
apriori

Default 185.15.14 - 8800MGTX: Lockup with graphic errors and weird cache collision

Hi NVIDIA,

I got a problem. When e.g. running KDE4 (though that doesn't really matter) I unfortunately often encounter cases in which my LCD turns to pure red and the X server seems to lock up. Sometimes I got about 2-3 seconds to react (meaning e.g. switch to a physical console to restart the X server) but usually this results in a hard lockup, because virtually all input events are ignored. When this happens, the card seems to confuse cache positions and ownerships resulting in e.g. konqueror content drawn on e.g. amarok. I can't make a screenshot, because, as already said, input events are pretty much ignored and the CTRL+ALT+F1 seems the only exit. mouse etc. are not working.
To sum up, the following does occur:
1. LCD turns to pure red for about 1-2 seconds
2: LCD starts flickering between normal image and pure red for several seconds (varying)
3. "Cache confusion" starts
4. Hard lockup if you don't react early.
- its NOT an interrupt lockup, meaning e.g. music played in background continues to play at least for 10 secs. Then crackling starts
5. another thing starting about 2 seconds after point 2 is, that the graphic cards fan starts powering up to maximum, so I assume the gpu is busy doing massive work it shouldnt actually do.

Several more things to mention:
1. Usage of OpenGL seems to increase the probability that this issue occurs - e.g. kwin with composite
2. Sometimes the lockup occurs right after firing up an OpenGL app or game
3. The red picture thingy also occurs for times << 1 sec if a second screen is attached and usually only for the primary display.

I doubt it is a heat problem, because the card actually never even reaches 60°C.

Regards

apriori
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (27.7 KB, 88 views)
apriori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-09, 09:03 AM   #2
apriori

Default Re: 185.15.14: Lockup with graphic errors and weird cache collision

The attached bugreport.gz was incomplete, attached a new one. Btw. both were done after a reboot therefore likely to mask the actual issue.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (28.2 KB, 87 views)
apriori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09, 08:01 PM   #3
UncleDeadley

Default Re: 185.15.14: Lockup with graphic errors and weird cache collision

Hi, I have a problem exhibiting the same issues as OP, only I don't get the red screen. I was, however, fast enough with CTR-ALT-F1 to get to a tty so that I could run the logger after the problem manifested. Also, the 173.14.20 driver works fine, without errors. Is there a particular version of driver I should try to help narrow down the change that induces the problem?

System, which I chose because of nvidia linux support, is ASUS n50vn-a1b notebook with a 9650M GT.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (35.1 KB, 76 views)
UncleDeadley is offline   Reply With Quote