Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-11-09, 10:27 PM   #1
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Some bad news, About Win7 Upgrade

Decided to post this here, some people might have missed it in the News Headlines.

Quote:
A few days ago we released our Windows 7 upgrade guide with the hopes of answering all your burning questions regarding the inexpensive upgrade editions that so many of us have pre-ordered. One of the questions that we couldn't answer at the time however, was how Windows 7 would handle the verification process to ensure that you were eligible to update. In Windows XP upgrade editions, you simply needed to insert an older install disk. Vista upped the ante considerably by requiring you to have a previous version installed (no activation required). Windows 7 on the other hand, will now require an activated previous version to be installed and not even the workaround found in the Vista version will be permitted.

This will no doubt become a point of controversy among Maximum PC readers since to be honest, this is a real hassle. As PC enthusiasts we tend to be fond of frequent re-installs either due to constantly changing hardware, or perhaps even just to regain performance lost after experimenting with too many of Murphy's Freeware picks. The only good news I learned from all of this, is that the Windows 7 RC will serve as a qualifying previous version (assuming of course that it's activated). I would highly advise readers who purchased the upgrade edition run an imaging program such as Acronis True Image, to take a snapshot of your drive before you install the Windows 7 upgrade. You'll need to decompress the image back onto the drive each time you do a fresh install, but it will certainly save you a great deal of time compared to installing and activating two separate OSs each time you want to start over.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...07#post2045507
Old 07-11-09, 10:34 PM   #2
ViN86

Default Re: Some bad news, About Win7 Upgrade

Well thank God I have the activated RC. Looks like I will need to create a disk image...

Are you sure I can't go from Vista Ultimate to Win7 HP? I don't understand why there would be a problem as long as my Vista is legal and activated (which it is).
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-09, 10:44 PM   #3
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Well thank God I have the activated RC. Looks like I will need to create a disk image...

Are you sure I can't go from Vista Ultimate to Win7 HP? I don't understand why there would be a problem as long as my Vista is legal and activated (which it is). :confused:
yes I'm sure, run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor

Note, that is now, until RTM goes final, there is always a chance they might change something. But is unlikely.
Old 07-11-09, 10:47 PM   #4
ViN86

Oh I just can't preserve my programs and documents. I can upgrade from Vista Ultimate to Win7 HP but I will need to do a clean install, so all my old stuff will be moved to Windows.OLD

Ok, that's fine. If I move to a new OS I don't plan on keeping my old programs anyways lol. Besides all my games are on Steam so I just let that run overnight and I have everything.

So to clarify, for an in-place upgrade (ie everything is preserved), you need to upgrade from a compatible version of Vista to Win7.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-09, 11:07 PM   #5
LurkerLito

That "has to be installed and activated requirement" would completely blow if you had to reinstall for any reason after the first time you upgraded. I would have bought the upgrade version too if I wasn't on technet. The make an image thing assumes your copy of XP or Vista would be fine again after a restore but if you changed enough hardware you'll end up being on the phone with MS activating the copy again for a few minutes of use only to upgrade to Win7. That is just retarded.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-09, 11:57 PM   #6
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

so yeah I have two copies of Windows Home XP, do I have to install them and activate them again just to put the home 7 upgrade?
Old 07-12-09, 12:19 AM   #7
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

Yes. You MUST install it, and activate it, before upgrading to Win7. Same goes for Vista.

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-09, 12:41 AM   #8
Yaboze

My W7 RC 7100 is activated, can I reinstall clean and then upgrade using the RTM?
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-09, 01:38 AM   #9
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
Yes. You MUST install it, and activate it, before upgrading to Win7. Same goes for Vista.
so the next question would be if I install xp, activate it then put in my upgrade copy of 7 does it go through all the files and make changes, or does it wipe the whole lot and give me a relatively clean install? Last thing I want is a half assed upgrade that will give me problems. Or even if there was a test that could go through everything and tell me the OS is all here, all up to date.
Old 07-12-09, 01:41 AM   #10
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

XP can only do Clean Install, it won't 'wipe" it, it will move all files to windows.old folder.
Old 07-12-09, 02:42 AM   #11
betterdan

If you have to install XP then activate it then install Win 7 overtop of it will they deactivate your Win XP key? If they do how in the hell will you ever use the upgrade disc of Win 7 again if they just ruined your XP install by deactivating the key?

This is ridiculous as hell.
Old 07-12-09, 08:46 AM   #12
Ghosthunter

This is really stupid...if this does not change by time they are about to release windows 7 i am going to cancel my preorder and maybe get the OEM version down the road when i really need it.

i was not really in a rush to upgrade anyway but with that price i figured who could pass up on it
G.Skill 16 GB Ram DDR3-1600
EVGA GTX 680 SC
Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
2x Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM SATA HD103SJ
WD SE16 7200 RPM SATA 640 GB
SAMSUNG 22X SATA DVD Burner
CORSAIR 750TX PSU
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B
Asus 25 inch VE258Q
Win7x64
Ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote