Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-10-09, 09:31 PM   #1
gilch

Default GeForce 6150LE -Ubuntu 9.04 GNOME changes resolution set by xorg.conf

Upon booting the screen resolution is OK (as witness the size of the arrow cursor during bootup). This would mean to me that NVIDIA configured the resolution as it should have. But once GNOME starts, it reduces the resolution. I then have to set it up right using NVIDIA config. But as soon as I reboot, the same thing repeats. Can I configure GNOME to set the resolution right. Where would I do that. (Rather newbee)
Gilles
gilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-09, 12:19 AM   #2
Arup

Default Re: GeForce 6150LE -Ubuntu 9.04 GNOME changes resolution set by xorg.conf

Technically it shouldn't happen but as a stop gap measure, add an entry in system>startup applications and the command would be nvidia-settings --load-config-only and reboot and see if that works out.
Arup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-09, 09:46 AM   #3
gilch

Default Re: GeForce 6150LE -Ubuntu 9.04 GNOME changes resolution set by xorg.conf

I think I figured out how to do that. I did, and it didn't work. Came back to same old resolution. Perhaps I needed to give a location for the nvidia-settings? something like /.../... I don't know. But I don't know where the nvidia-settings are.
Gilles

Last edited by gilch; 07-11-09 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 07-11-09, 12:09 PM   #4
Arup

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilch View Post
I think I figured out how to do that. I did, and it didn't work. Came back to same old resolution. Perhaps I needed to give a location for the nvidia-settings? something like /.../... I don't know. But I don't know where the nvidia-settings are.
Gilles
Type nvidia-settings in your terminal and it should bring up the applet.
Arup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-09, 01:25 PM   #5
Go7300

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilch View Post
Upon booting the screen resolution is OK (as witness the size of the arrow cursor during bootup). This would mean to me that NVIDIA configured the resolution as it should have. But once GNOME starts, it reduces the resolution. I then have to set it up right using NVIDIA config. But as soon as I reboot, the same thing repeats. Can I configure GNOME to set the resolution right. Where would I do that. (Rather newbee)
Gilles
Same problem here. I think it's a bug. Settings in nvidia-settings don't fix it here either. I can C-A-Bs to restart the x-server and it will come up the correct resolution.

I guess it's just gnome being gnome.

regards,
Go7300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-09, 12:44 AM   #6
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Gnome has a display settings applet that remembers the last resolution you set through it and tries to reapply it when you log in. I don't know where it stores that setting, but you could probably find it and delete it.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-09, 12:47 PM   #7
gilch

Finally, someone posted a solution to my problem.
That was to add 'xrandr -s 1280x800' (for me it was 1920x1080) to the startup list.
This works. Thank you very much.