Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-12-09, 09:40 PM   #37
ViN86

Default Re: Top 5 things you'd love to see in Windows 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidenWoW View Post
Much later after people kept whining, plus it took awhile for it to come up on windows update so you would have to tell the person you were sending the file to, "Oh and download this."

Docx should have found a way to be backwards compatible before it even released but nonetheless it's a step in the right direction. I was just using it as an analogy.
If you notice, that's version 3 lol.

Also, do you know how inefficient the files would be if they were backwards compatible?

I mean, MS isn't the greatest and lots of their code isn't exactly the fastest, but there is a method to their madness.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-09, 09:41 PM   #38
RaidenWoW
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
actually the converts where out few months before Office 2007 was final, they released them in Office 2007 beta stage.

and again what does MS made office format have to do with RAR compression
NO NATIVE COMPATIBILITY. ANNOYING TO SEND TO PEOPLE WHO DON'T HAVE SOFTWARE TO OPEN IT WITH.
Old 07-12-09, 11:48 PM   #39
snowmanwithahat
Snowy

So... to the person who mentiond they wouldn't support .rar because there's no profit because they'd have to license it... how about just support to READ them... or hell, make a .zip file able to be compressed into abritary installments (like .rar files) and also to rework the compression algorithm to make it more effecient both on space and compression time (.rar by far beats .zip files currently)

.zip2

... it sure is a crazy thought though that microsoft would do something purely because PAYING customers wish for it to be included.... free distributions of operating systems have it added simply because people get tired of not having it.

Also... is there anything particularly illegal about being able to backup and mount a drive image (.iso) ? I'm pretty sure something as open-ended as that wouldn't land microsoft in trouble... It's ridiculously useful for system administrators to be able to create their own external hard-drive of cds in .iso formats to go to new machines that were just re-imaged so that they can be loaded with all the software they need... yes there's other ways to do it but really these are all super useful things that microsoft ignores.

just today i was at my friends on his macbook pro.... pull up the terminal and type ssh <username>@<server> and connect to my school to load up a program.... on my new netbook i had to go and grab putty, and also go out and grab xming and xming fonts just to be able to do the same thing.... see my point? (NO this isn't a mac vs windows thread.... i hate macs but the fact that their origins are in the UNIX world is useful)
8gb (4x2gb) OCZ Gold DDR2-800 (5-4-4-12)
MSI+ASUS GTX 470 SLI
Dell u3011 IPS Display
HP 22" Auxiliary Monitor
256gb Western Digital Silicon Edge Blue SSD
5x2tb RAID-5 Array
750W PC P&C PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit & Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit

---Gaming Laptop---
ASUS G53JW
Core i7 740QM
16gb DDR3
Nvidia GTX 460m
1tb WD HDD
120gb Corsair SSD

Join the NvNews Folding @ Home Team
snowmanwithahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-09, 12:39 AM   #40
glObalist
working as intended

1. Usable file explorer, a la Total Commander

2. Usable command shell, a la Linux's Terminal (and no, MS PowerShell is not enough)

3. Usable defragger as was mentioned

4. Native image making and mounting as was mentioned

5. Did I mention we need a usable and efficient file explorer such as Total Commander in Windows?
Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.
glObalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-09, 08:46 AM   #41
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmanwithahat View Post
So... to the person who mentiond they wouldn't support .rar because there's no profit because they'd have to license it... how about just support to READ them... or hell, make a .zip file able to be compressed into abritary installments (like .rar files) and also to rework the compression algorithm to make it more effecient both on space and compression time (.rar by far beats .zip files currently)

.zip2

... it sure is a crazy thought though that microsoft would do something purely because PAYING customers wish for it to be included.... free distributions of operating systems have it added simply because people get tired of not having it.
Wow, have you been reading at all or just marching through this thread with blinders on?

READ/WRITE/CREATE/ENCRYPT/DECRYPT IT DOESN'T MATTER. MS would still have to pay royalties to the owner of the compression, RARLabs.

Quote:
Also... is there anything particularly illegal about being able to backup and mount a drive image (.iso) ? I'm pretty sure something as open-ended as that wouldn't land microsoft in trouble... It's ridiculously useful for system administrators to be able to create their own external hard-drive of cds in .iso formats to go to new machines that were just re-imaged so that they can be loaded with all the software they need... yes there's other ways to do it but really these are all super useful things that microsoft ignores.
I didn't say MS would get in trouble for the .iso's. I said you would for circumventing DRM, which is illegal as per the DMCA. It doesn't matter if you own the game or not, it is illegal to circumvent DRM. But if MS created tools to circumvent DRM (ironic, since they are such a big backer of DRM, MS would never do it) then they could get in trouble too.

Quote:
just today i was at my friends on his macbook pro.... pull up the terminal and type ssh <username>@<server> and connect to my school to load up a program.... on my new netbook i had to go and grab putty, and also go out and grab xming and xming fonts just to be able to do the same thing.... see my point? (NO this isn't a mac vs windows thread.... i hate macs but the fact that their origins are in the UNIX world is useful)
Then run linux 24/7 and use windows for gaming...
Old 07-13-09, 10:05 AM   #42
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
From a systems administration perspective, it would be glorious to have SSH built in. On our Solaris systems, its a godsend to not have to VNC into a damn machine to do simple file level actions. Plus, current free Windows SSH products (that can be used in the enterprise) are rare and hard to configure at best.
Great point, Q. Just today I had an issue with a Windows Server 2003 Terminal Server that's RDP access went on the fritz. I had enabled Telnet just the other day to test something and thank GOODNESS I left that gaping security hole open. I was able to restart a few services and restore remote access. Of course, with native SSH access I could keep a secure line open all the time.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-09, 11:31 AM   #43
Crow_Nest
Ace Spammer

Send a message via MSN to Crow_Nest

+1 for a built in virtual drive mounting. Its a hassle having to install a 3rd party software to do it when microsoft can easily implement such a feature into windows. Perhaps they are afraid we'll use it for the wrong reasons?

Also it'll be great if they let you select between FAT32 and NTFS drive formats rather than forcing NTFS.
| Hitachi 1TB SATA3 HDD | Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 | Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700W |
| Cooler Master Centurion 5 II Casing | Samsung SyncMaster XL2370 |

Laptop : Lenovo IdeaPad Y450
| Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2 GHz | NVIDIA GeForce G110M 256MB |
| 4GB DDR3 SDRAM | Western Digital 320GB | 14.1' LED Backlit Screen |

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=73666&dateline=135279  2183
Crow_Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-09, 12:43 PM   #44
Tuork
Official pain in the ass

Send a message via MSN to Tuork

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
my point was why pay for licensing and possibly open yourself for lawsuit to add an format that no company uses to distribute files.

Ok, the whole licensing fees part makes a lot of sense. I had not thought about that.

Dimitri:
Dell XPS M1530
Core2Duo T5550 1.86Ghz | 3GB DDR2 | 8600M GT 256MB | 250GB Hdd | BenQ FP202W 20" LCD | MX1000 mouse | Inspire T5400 5.1
Tuork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-09, 01:06 PM   #45
XDanger
Whaaat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Multi-monitor is supported by the drivers correct? I mean, I would assume it works...
3D over multi monitor did not work in Vista, I'm glad 7 has it.
Old 07-13-09, 01:14 PM   #46
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDanger View Post
3D over multi monitor did not work in Vista, I'm glad 7 has it.
Oh, thx for the info then.