Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-13-09, 09:26 AM   #37
Ghosthunter

Default Re: Some bad news, About Win7 Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Sure but since when did a company do anything that is logical?
Maybe if they see enough people complain they will change it by the time October comes, one can only hope
G.Skill 16 GB Ram DDR3-1600
EVGA GTX 680 SC
Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
2x Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM SATA HD103SJ
WD SE16 7200 RPM SATA 640 GB
SAMSUNG 22X SATA DVD Burner
CORSAIR 750TX PSU
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B
Asus 25 inch VE258Q
Win7x64
Ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-09, 10:55 AM   #38
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosthunter View Post
not according to maximum pc with XP you were able to do that on honor system not with Vista

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/fea...red?page=0%2C1

Maybe I am reading this wrong, but it sounds like they are going to deactivate the Vista key once you upgrade? which would make sense..and then you cannot use it...to install on another machine correct? so then we go into a circle? If i ever need to reinstall how do I do that? In vista how do you activate it?

I just do not understand why Microsoft does not make this painless...people are going to pirate this either way...and this method is just going to encourage people to do it even more now
i know people will not like this this, but it makes sence. you shouldn't be able to keep both OS
Old 07-13-09, 11:01 AM   #39
Ghosthunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
i know people will not like this this, but it makes sence. you shouldn't be able to keep both OS
I agree you should not be able to keep both OS, i think the problem is how do you reinstall if you need to?
G.Skill 16 GB Ram DDR3-1600
EVGA GTX 680 SC
Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
2x Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM SATA HD103SJ
WD SE16 7200 RPM SATA 640 GB
SAMSUNG 22X SATA DVD Burner
CORSAIR 750TX PSU
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B
Asus 25 inch VE258Q
Win7x64
Ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-09, 11:10 AM   #40
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosthunter View Post
I agree you should not be able to keep both OS, i think the problem is how do you reinstall if you need to?
It doesn't delete the CD key, it just removes the activation on it. You just need to go through activation twice. Once with Vista or XP, then again with Windows 7.

So you will be able to re-install, but it will be a PITA. Also, as was mentioned, you may be able to use your current Windows 7 activation to perform a new install (if you can use the RC, you should be able to use the upgrade version). In other words, you have Vista installed, then install Windows 7, then if you want to do a fresh install it may be able to use the activated Windows 7 to do a clean install.

I bet the only problems will arise with brand new hard drives.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-09, 11:37 AM   #41
LurkerLito

I agree with the Vin86, they should 1) allow you to put in the old OS Disc, 2) Then type in it's key and then 3) Check that if it's legit then let you install Win7 with the upgrade. The whole idea that it needs to be installed and activated on a PC is just retarded. It complicates things later for the users rather than making it easier.

Though I disagree that people should lose the installed OS after the upgrade. Maybe an OEM versions of the OS I would agree they lose the right to use the old OS, but if a person bought full retail of Vista or XP then they bought the upgrade version of Win7, they should have every right to use the old Vista or XP OS on any of their own older PCs. MS should be embracing ways to get people to not used warez copies of their OS or other OS alternatives by rewarding them for brand loyalty. That is what an upgrade program should be. Keep using my products and don't switch to a competitor's and I will reward you with a discount on the next version. A system setup where people can use the old software on an older PC helps keep people away from other OS alternatives including warez and it costs MS nothing and gives people a nicer opinion of MS as a company.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-09, 11:39 AM   #42
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerLito View Post
I agree with the Vin86, they should 1) allow you to put in the old OS Disc, 2) Then type in it's key and then 3) Check that if it's legit then let you install Win7 with the upgrade. The whole idea that it needs to be installed and activated on a PC is just retarded. It complicates things later for the users rather than making it easier.

Though I disagree that people should lose the installed OS after the upgrade. Maybe an OEM versions of the OS I would agree they lose the right to use the old OS, but if a person bought full retail of Vista or XP then they bought the upgrade version of Win7, they should have every right to use the old Vista or XP OS on any of their own older PCs. MS should be embracing ways to get people to not used warez copies of their OS or other OS alternatives by rewarding them for brand loyalty. That is what an upgrade program should be. Keep using my products and don't switch to a competitor's and I will reward you with a discount on the next version. A system setup where people can use the old software on an older PC helps keep people away from other OS alternatives including warez and it costs MS nothing and gives people a nicer opinion of MS as a company.
I completely agree, BUT when MS has a monopoly on the market, then they know you're not going to a competitor's product
Old 07-13-09, 12:13 PM   #43
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerLito View Post

Though I disagree that people should lose the installed OS after the upgrade.
so when you trade in your car for a new one, you also keep both?

Upgrade is a trade off, old OS for new, if you bought full retail, then you can keep both.
Old 07-13-09, 12:23 PM   #44
Yaboze

I would be all for typing in my Vista key and losing it on an upgrade IF I can do a clean install and reinstall any time down the road, like 1-2x a year is fine.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-09, 12:38 PM   #45
LurkerLito

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
so when you trade in your car for a new one, you also keep both?

Upgrade is a trade off, old OS for new, if you bought full retail, then you can keep both.
Apples and oranges. The trade in of your car to a dealer to upgrade to a new one is completely different. A dealer is subsidizing your purchase by reselling your old car either as whole or for the parts towards the discount he applied to your purchase or upgrade for the new vehicle. With software that is not the case. The software is basically thrown in the trash so rather than just waste it like that MS should put it to some good use like helping make them look like a nicer corporation rather than one out to just grab your wallets. It also helps solve a minor problem with their users putting linux or other alternatives on older equipment and having them like the alternative choice better. Again these small advantages are gained for just giving back to the user the trash that MS would just throw away and it cost them nothing.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-09, 01:16 PM   #46
betterdan

Why not do like I said and install Win 7 by upgrading from the Win 7 RC then make a backup image of your hard drive using the built in disc image tool in Win 7 in case you need to do a reinstall?

Is this thing on? Can anyone see this?
Old 07-13-09, 01:24 PM   #47
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post
Why not do like I said and install Win 7 by upgrading from the Win 7 RC then make a backup image of your hard drive using the built in disc image tool in Win 7 in case you need to do a reinstall?

Say what?
Old 07-13-09, 02:04 PM   #48
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post

If hardware is changed then you need to reactivate windows. After next June (I believe) the RC keys will expire and Win7 will no longer activate.

But like I said (and someone else did as well, they said it first), I think that an activated version of Windows 7 will be sufficient to perform a clean install with the Upgrade version. So this is only a problem for new hard drives...