Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-13-09, 07:27 PM   #49
betterdan

Default Re: Some bad news, About Win7 Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Say what?
I am saying when you get your upgrade disc just upgrade your Win 7 RC install. Ok now boot into Win 7 and make a backup image of your disc with the built in backup image tools included with Win 7. Now whenever you need to do a reinstall just restore the image to your hard drive instead of having to install Xp or Vista then upgrade it.
Old 07-13-09, 07:28 PM   #50
mullet

Full Retail FTW.
Old 07-13-09, 07:33 PM   #51
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post
I am saying when you get your upgrade disc just upgrade your Win 7 RC install. Ok now boot into Win 7 and make a backup image of your disc with the built in backup image tools included with Win 7. Now whenever you need to do a reinstall just restore the image to your hard drive instead of having to install Xp or Vista then upgrade it.
Can you explain that?
Old 07-13-09, 07:34 PM   #52
OrangeBlast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Correct. The "in-place" upgrade, which leaves your programs and files in place can only be performed for the following combinations:

Windows Vista Home Premium -> Windows 7 Home Premium
Windows Vista Business -> Windows 7 Professional
Windows Vista Ultimate -> Windows 7 Ultimate

This is taken from MS's Win 7 Upgrade site:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy...grade-faq.aspx
Wait a minute here.....

I currently have the full version of Vista Ultimate, I purchased it when it released. According to what your saying here....Vista Ultimate can only be upgraded to W7 Ultimate? I purchased the upgrade version of W7 Professional. I saw no reason to purchase the Ultimate upgrade, it features things I have no use for, infact I was contemplating canceling it and just getting Home Premium.

So...according to what your saying here is that W7 Ultimate can only be installed if you have Vista Ultimate.....that doesn't make sense. Why can't W7 Pro be upgraded from Vista Ultimate???

This is so confusing....almost upsetting. I just want the Full version....or something, this is retarded.
OrangeBlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-09, 07:34 PM   #53
betterdan

Full retail FTRP (for the ripoff price)

If you pay extra money over the $50 upgrade to save a half hour to an hour of time you have too much money to blow.
Old 07-13-09, 07:35 PM   #54
betterdan

Quote:
Can you explain that?
I just did.

Seriously what are you not understanding?
Old 07-13-09, 07:36 PM   #55
|MaguS|

Quote:
I just did.

Seriously what are you not understanding?
What your saying...
Old 07-13-09, 07:36 PM   #56
betterdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlast View Post
Wait a minute here.....

I currently have the full version of Vista Ultimate, I purchased it when it released. According to what your saying here....Vista Ultimate can only be upgraded to W7 Ultimate? I purchased the upgrade version of W7 Professional. I saw no reason to purchase the Ultimate upgrade, it features things I have no use for, infact I was contemplating canceling it and just getting Home Premium.

So...according to what your saying here is that W7 Ultimate can only be installed if you have Vista Ultimate.....that doesn't make sense. Why can't W7 Pro be upgraded from Vista Ultimate???

This is so confusing....almost upsetting. I just want the Full version....or something, this is retarded.
You could wipe your drive of Vista and install the Win 7RC. I read that Microsoft stated you could upgrade to the finished Win 7 from the Win 7 RC.

Old 07-13-09, 07:42 PM   #57
betterdan

Quote:
What your saying...
Let's take it slow.
Ok if you have the Win 7 RC (release candidate) on your computer now and you bought the Win 7 upgrade disc then when you get the disc in October just put it in your computer and update the RC version to the finished Win 7 version. Ok with me so far?

Now when you are done and booted up to your new fresh install of Win 7 just go into the backup tools that are in Win 7 and make a backup copy of your hard drive. Got it?

Now if you ever need to reinstall Win 7 (as long as you didn't change any hardware) then just restore that hard drive back up from the dvd, usb drive or whatever you burned the backup to. I saw instructions on the Microsoft site somewhere about the disc imaging tools but I don't have a link.

Ok now do you still not understand what I am saying?
Old 07-13-09, 07:44 PM   #58
|MaguS|

Quote:
Let's take it slow.
Ok if you have the Win 7 RC (release candidate) on your computer now and you bought the Win 7 upgrade disc then when you get the disc in October just put it in your computer and update the RC version to the finished Win 7 version. Ok with me so far?

Now when you are done and booted up to your new fresh install of Win 7 just go into the backup tools that are in Win 7 and make a backup copy of your hard drive. Got it?

Now if you ever need to reinstall Win 7 (as long as you didn't change any hardware) then just restore that hard drive back up from the dvd, usb drive or whatever you burned the backup to. I saw instructions on the Microsoft site somewhere about the disc imaging tools but I don't have a link.

Ok now do you still not understand what I am saying?
um...
Old 07-13-09, 07:44 PM   #59
betterdan

Quote:
um...
Old 07-13-09, 07:46 PM   #60
mullet

Windows 7 Installation Guide