Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-13-09, 05:13 PM   #25
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Re: Your favorite game engines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClosetFanBoy View Post
Any id tech and Source.
CryEngine 2 and then Source for scalability (TF2, I love you) and iD engines for some purdiness.

I have to say, I am really interested in Modern Warfare 2, the new ad looks quite nice. Not sure what game engine it employs but the various environmental effects look close to a lower level of CE2, which is never a bad thing

BioWare also has some good stuff.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-09, 07:09 PM   #26
m3dude

ce2
framework
m3dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-09, 02:26 AM   #27
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
CryEngine 2 and then Source for scalability (TF2, I love you) and iD engines for some purdiness.

I have to say, I am really interested in Modern Warfare 2, the new ad looks quite nice.
What new ad? where?

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-09, 06:06 AM   #28
Revs

This isn't necessarily my fave engine, but it's not been mentioned yet...

Monolith's Lithtech engine from FEAR. No other engine takes advantage of your hardware like this engine, and the game wan't too bad either.
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-09, 06:39 AM   #29
wysiwyg

1 - Cryengine 2 (crysis)

2 - Avalanche 2.0 (used in the hunter game which impressed me)

3 - RAGE (GTA IV)

4 - Chrome (the latest one)

5 - Source
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-09, 07:19 AM   #30
m3dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revs View Post
This isn't necessarily my fave engine, but it's not been mentioned yet...

Monolith's Lithtech engine from FEAR. No other engine takes advantage of your hardware like this engine, and the game wan't too bad either.
care to expound?
m3dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-09, 08:11 AM   #31
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

SCUMM
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-09, 11:33 AM   #32
top3koms

Quake 3
Cryengine 2
Source
Intel X25-M 80Gb SSD - WD Black 500Gb /LG DVD-RW
Silverstone DA1000 / Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Coolermaster Stacker 830 / Alienware AW2310
NVIDIA 3D Vision
top3koms is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-09, 11:56 AM   #33
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
Source. Nothing has been close to what Source has been IMO.
Quake 3 engine was

But anyway. My vote goes to Source and Quake 3.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-09, 02:10 PM   #34
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

as far as the ability to render insane quantity of everything imaginable and scalability, currently on the market, the Cryengine2 has my vote. Yeah source looks good but it only has a fraction of the rendering prowess that CE2 has.

Fakefactory himself has said that the source engine is extremely limiting in it's rendering power and resources but I think that for its age and how well Valve has managed to continuously update it, it does still look very good specifically with the fakefactory cinematic mod and most definately gives decent visuals considering how old the engine actually is.

But... lets not kid ourselves, it's an old engine and the old gray mare isn't what she used to be. There are bigger and better engines now. U3 is decent.. I just wish more games used it the way bioshock does.... COLOR IS YOUR FRIEND!

I hope EP3 introduces a much needed overhaul to that engine as far as rendering distance, detail level, etc goes becuase visually, it just doesn't compare to the cryengine.

I think that the Tech engine carmack was showing off for RAGE was very very nice but I want to see full size full res screenshots. The one thing I do know is that chances are, whatever generation hardware it's targeted to run on, it'll run better than the cryengine did/does.

I can't beleive no one has mentioned the serious sam engines yet! The SS 1 engine was groundbreakin when it came out. it bested the unreal engine in every way possible back in the day!

The renders from the SS3 engine looks amazing and I've never heard of this chrome4 engine?? Is it from chrome the game? Confused if so since chrome 2 is still missing in action.

Xray engine gets props too. I just re-installed clear sky a couple of days ago and playing through the swamps using the new gtx 275 and all the new DX10 effects look great.

definitely good things in the game engine world on the horizon..

Though I really wasn't a fan of the game style, I think visually Mirrors Edge had GREAT graphics. Less was certainly more.
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-09, 03:28 PM   #35
TheANIMAL

People meantion Cry Engine 3, but apart from over-the-top colour bleeding, i have seen nothing in CE3 that looks better than Cry Engine 2.

I'm sure performance, ease of use etc have all been increased significantly.

Source is a nice and easy engine to use, i have had some success with it, never done anything serious though.

Unreal engine is also very easy for tinkering but if you try to do anything significant like change something fundamental and you will run into loads and loads of difficulties in my experience.

Cry Engine 2 progressivly gets buggier the deeper you delve into it, and quite alot of things in the Cry Editor are set in concrete, but i have had little experiance in doing stuff like that.
TheANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-09, 04:25 PM   #36
|MaguS|

Naughty Dogs Engine for Uncharted and Uncharted 2. If you wana talk about an engine that can take advantage of hardware thats the engine. Unlike The Cry Engine which uses pure muscle to accomplish its goals the Uncharted engine can put out amazing graphics and animation on alot more limited hardware (the engine is an evolution of the Jax Engine on PS2).

Before you go comparing Uncharted 2 to Crysis, look at the hardware its running on to achieve its goals... and now imagine what Uncharted 2 could look like if it were running on the same hardware. /drool