Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-14-09, 06:58 PM   #37
the9quad

Default Re: Your favorite game engines?

The dunai engine from farcry2, I know it has like 1% if the original crytek engine in it, but man that game is sometimes breathtaking, the lighting seems (to me anyway) to be one of the most natural looking lighting systems in a game period. Also you have wind+fire=fire propagation and that is pretty damn cool as well. Other than that I would go with that engine that DMC4 uses framework or whatever it's called., that thing looks great and man is it ever fast.
the9quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-09, 04:02 AM   #38
wysiwyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar View Post
But... lets not kid ourselves, it's an old engine and the old gray mare isn't what she used to be. There are bigger and better engines now. U3 is decent.. I just wish more games used it the way bioshock does.... COLOR IS YOUR FRIEND!
totally agree, that is why i didnt vote UE3 because too many games have that gray/sepia look
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-09, 04:04 AM   #39
wysiwyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by the9quad View Post
The dunai engine from farcry2, I know it has like 1% if the original crytek engine in it, but man that game is sometimes breathtaking, the lighting seems (to me anyway) to be one of the most natural looking lighting systems in a game period. Also you have wind+fire=fire propagation and that is pretty damn cool as well. Other than that I would go with that engine that DMC4 uses framework or whatever it's called., that thing looks great and man is it ever fast.
trouble is, it cannot do colour, just browns

i thought FC2 looked nothing special and everything looked the same in the game which was an awful game too
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-09, 04:31 AM   #40
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Naughty Dogs Engine for Uncharted and Uncharted 2. If you wana talk about an engine that can take advantage of hardware thats the engine. Unlike The Cry Engine which uses pure muscle to accomplish its goals the Uncharted engine can put out amazing graphics and animation on alot more limited hardware (the engine is an evolution of the Jax Engine on PS2).

Before you go comparing Uncharted 2 to Crysis, look at the hardware its running on to achieve its goals... and now imagine what Uncharted 2 could look like if it were running on the same hardware. /drool
Uncharted's engine is awesome. When combined with the artwork, I still think it looks better than Crysis. Crytek's art department has always let them down. A bunch of programmers does not always make a great game.

Not the best salesmen either, no one licensed their engine.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-09, 04:53 AM   #41
fizzelopeguss

Quote:
Before you go comparing Uncharted 2 to Crysis, look at the hardware its running on to achieve its goals... and now imagine what Uncharted 2 could look like if it were running on the same hardware. /drool

....Like crysis i imagine., there's nothing particularly unoptimised about cryteks technology. It's just pushing obscene amounts of geometry, textures, shaders, shadows etc. Uncharted was blessed with solid coding and exceptional artistry.
fizzelopeguss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-09, 05:02 AM   #42
Revs

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dude View Post
care to expound?
Yeah . It's very scalable. When I went to SLi a couple of years back I was playing FEAR, and the FPS literally doubled. I then got a quad core, which again gave very a heathy FPS increase. That engine will make full use of any hardware used. The only other engine I've used which will do the same is the one used in Lost Planet. Both very good for benchmarking. I still use them today for testing performance increases when I get new hardware.
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-09, 05:06 AM   #43
m3dude

the increase from your quad core must have been due to higher frequencies or a newer platform with overall better bandwidth because fear 2 doesnt rly even use dual core, much less quad. also the engine scales with sli so well because its so simple and isnt doing a lot of complex calculations with multiple render targets and depth buffers and other techniques that screw with mgpu scaling.
m3dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-09, 07:18 AM   #44
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzelopeguss View Post
....Like crysis i imagine., there's nothing particularly unoptimised about cryteks technology. It's just pushing obscene amounts of geometry, textures, shaders, shadows etc. Uncharted was blessed with solid coding and exceptional artistry.
I think the engine is poorly optimised. You try running it on a lower end PC (even one comparable to a PS3/X360 in spec) and it will look FAR worse. The graphics degrade too dramatically when the specs of the machine are lowered to consider it properly optimised.

I think give too much credit to the engine... it requires too high of specs for what its accomplishing.

Old 07-15-09, 07:23 AM   #45
Ywap

Quote:
Originally Posted by the9quad View Post
Awesome game that runs smooth with stunning visuals thanks to the Dunia engine (and talanted artists ofcourse). Hopefully weŽll see more games using it.
Old 07-15-09, 07:40 AM   #46
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzelopeguss View Post
and obscene amounts of blurry depth of field...

The artistry is good and the engine is solid but the idea that the hardware is limiting them to blurring the background is ridiculous. I'll withhold final judgement until I see if crysis on PS3 is all blurry in the distance.. my hunch is that it won't be.

and though I haven't played too much of it, I dont' think killzone2 had a particularly blurry background and it was running on PS3 hardware.
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-09, 08:00 AM   #47
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

Quote:
I think the engine is poorly optimised. You try running it on a lower end PC (even one comparable to a PS3/X360 in spec) and it will look FAR worse. The graphics degrade too dramatically when the specs of the machine are lowered to consider it properly optimised.

I think give too much credit to the engine... it requires too high of specs for what its accomplishing.
It's NOT poorly optimized they just released the game TOO SOON. they built tomorrows engine and gave it to the public before the hardware was ready.

There are plenty of systems these days that can run the game at very generous detail levels and maintain a healthy FPS.... I'm running it with detail settings beyond what the developers coded into the very high settings mode and still maintain mid 30's~40's FPS.

If they had waited until now to release it, the game wouldn't have received NEARLY as much complaining about it running slow.

The problem is that for the first time in gaming history (to my knowledge) the gaming public was given a game that no current hardware on the market was capable of rendering fluidly at max detail settings (And Crytek TOLD us this would be the case) but us being stubborn, refused to listen and like the greedy bastards we are, we ALL want to run ALL our games at max settings and we want the FPS to be pegged at the Vsync rate the entire time.. And until Crysis came out, we more or less had that luxury. IF a new game came out and we had sluggish performance, there WAS a hardware upgrade capable of rendering said game at full details.

The cryengine was just a rude awakening that a lot of us weren't prepared for simply because we had never been put into that type of scenario where we couldn't buy more FPS and (at the time of its release) it was expensive just to get mediocre frame rates.

Now, you can buy a card that can deliver great FPS with the cryengine and the community has more or less tweaked the engine (another great thing about the cryengine) to deliver the visuals of very high settings but the frame rates of lower settings.

The cryengine is what gives PC gamers raging hard erections. Visuals, customizations, a killer editor, etc..
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-09, 08:23 AM   #48
Revs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar View Post
It's NOT poorly optimized they just released the game TOO SOON. they built tomorrows engine and gave it to the public before the hardware was ready.
Agreed, and to be fair they did say that at the time, as you said. It was stated to scale back 24 months and forward 18 months. The other problem was the drivers. There was alot going on in the PC gaming world at the time. We had DX10, Vista and GPU's which were all new. It must have been a hell of a task developing the drivers, all the while people were wanting to play the most demanding game ever made. It was never gonna happen quickly, but I think we're there now . Poorly optimized? nah, CryEngine2 rocks!
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote